Storms and flooding hits Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet the portable garden on the promenade, down the bottom of center road has gone again. What is the state of the beach promenade now after this storm ? Is it more torn up than what it was before ? I was there for the last big one last year, but only decided to go home to Buriram only 2 weeks ago. Very little effort was made repairing the damage after the last big one, which I thought was disgraceful (particularly for one of the top beach resorts in the world - ie according to TAT). Collapsed sections of the sea wall everywhere. Have we got any beach left now ?

Where were the Chinese speed boat patrons when this was all happening during the day ? Noses squashed flat on the bus windows peering out into the sea spray. Great visual !

If you really were experienced SEAsian residents, tourist, illegals, you must realise that these tropical cyclones create havoc. This one is a minor issue, the Philippines gets on average 20 major typhoon hits a year, South China, and Vietnam also get hammered. It's a way of life for these people.

Remember what you are experiencing right now should be expected , if you understand where you live. But I will concede its unusual, but that doesn't alter the fact that people should be more educated to this part of the world and be prepared.. This is not ?Brighton or New York .

So, let me get this straight, tropical climates experience tropical storms! I think everyone and his dog knows this but thank you for the education anyway.

When you are a foreigner here of course you know the weather is different, its much hotter, more humid and you can get serious storms at certain times of year, everybody knows my friend.

But when it happens its quite a spectacle and widespread flooding will hit the news. I watched the storm yesterday, quite amazing and very dramatic, nothing like what I experience back home. I have lived in Asia over 5 years now, travelled here for business over 10 so although its not that new to me it still amazes sometimes, last night was no exception.

So, peoples fascination has nothing to do with lack of education as you imply (we all know they can happen), its simply an unavoidable topic because the streets are 3 feet under water.

Hope you not flooded in, have a great day..

The flooding is mainly caused by blocked drains. Have a proper drainage maintenance and cleaning regime, stop all the illegal tappings - restaurants are probably the worse with their greasy waste products - and the problem will be largely solved. Besides the illegal tappings on many occasions I have seen ready mix concrete trucks washing and then draining their drums into the drainage system. Either the drivers are too ignorant to realise that cement will harden even under water or just do not care; out of site of of mind. I suspect the latter. Photographs of the offenders lodged with Pattaya town hall and the companies involved just brings a shrug of the shoulders.

Kritsada Boonrat. director-general of the Interior Ministry's Department of Provincial Administration commented on the expected storm.

Creeks Canals and water retention areas and "reservoirs" will be dredged to collect as much rainfall as possible

Maybe a tad late to address that issue Khun Kritsada......try the dry season

Edited by Rimmer

Taken in Soi Bukaow from a high bar stool in a flooded bar. :-)

I understand Wetherspoons was also flooded in spite of their patent "door stop"?

I dropped a couple of guys off there at 6pm (who forgot to close my tailgate bah.gif ) and then tried to drive home up third road which was closed by police trucks after the turn to Big C extra up to the lights at Mum Aroi. One hour of trying other routes broght me back to Big C to use the loo followed by one and a half hours to drive about 2km as Soi Yume was blocked.

Get back to the village (about 8.30) which has never been flooded much in the past to find the main access road under about 18 inches water. Saw people walking around with torches and thought they were looking for blockages or had lost something - apparently I discovered this morning they were looking for fish! A dividing wall to the fishing park had collapsed and the flooding was from there - picture taken this morning. Another smaller garden was covered in about 2 feet of sand where the sand from a construction site behind had knocked the wall over.

post-108341-0-99025800-1442464423_thumb.

.Kritsada Boonrat. director-general of the Interior Ministry's Department of Provincial Administration commented on the expected storm.

Creeks Canals and water retention areas and "reservoirs" will be dredged to collect as much rainfall as possible

Maybe a tad late to address that issue Khun Kritsada......try the dry season

Sorry, whats her title again! They do like to sound important dont they.

A more appropriate title would be "Director General of the Interior Ministry's Department for Belated Government Action Plans", I'm sure Monty Python had something similar at one time.

Taken in Soi Bukaow from a high bar stool in a flooded bar. :-)

Great pictures, are you toasting the occasion with your Guiness?

Good to see you taking it all in your stride,,, dont ever change fella..

Sort of. But I stay very close and I'm here for the Guinness. Witherspoons stays open under all conditions as the bar stools just about keep your feet dry until you have to use the loo. Also the beer store is upstairs. Guinness was perfect as usual. :-)