scheduling a flight return from Thailand beyond 30 day visa on arrival

Departed from Honolulu on Delta. Had a return ticket 41 days after arrival in LOS I was going to get a retirement visa while in LOS>

Delta informed me that I had to change my ticket now at the departure counter for $300.00 since I was beyond the 30 day visa time allowed upon entry.

no choice-did so.

When I arrived in LOS the immigration people made no inquiry as to a return ticket in my possession.

I want to come back to LOS in October. Want to go one way. Am married to Thai with 2 kids.

Plan on a retirement visa after I arrive..

Will I be allowed into Thailand with out a return ticket?

If I must show a return ticket which airline allows free changes?

1) the good thing about the thread: a first hand example what can happen at the airline in such a situation. For the ever recurring non-believers.

2) your plan for October is even worse. A oneway without a visa will raise more alarm at the airline check-in. Good luck with that.

Is there no chance that you get a visa (!) in your country based on marriage before you fly?

(there is! rhetorical question).

This would save you from trouble (no return or onward ticket necessary in this case).

When in Thailand you don't (!) get a visa but an extension of stay.

The most complicated way to achieve this is arriving without a visa aka. visa exemption ("visa on arrival" is also a confusing and wrong term).

Get a Non O visa at a Thai consulate in your country and job done!

Non O visa can be based on marriage (more paperwork) or on retirement (easier, just financial proof req.).

Edited by KhunBENQ

The answer is to obtain a VISA from the Thai Embassy or one of the Consulates. With a VISA no return ticket is required.

As you are seeking retirement your best option would be to obtain a single entry non "O" visa which would allow an application to be made for an "extension of stay" based on marriage or retirement to be made.

You could also ask the Embassy about a one year multiple entry "O" visa based on marriage.

The Embassy will also provide an O/A long stay (retirement) visa which may suit your needs.

Edited by oncearugge
  • Like 1

If you are caught in the situation of the airline wanting an outbound ticket within 30 days again, note the following options:

• Usually, if you look affluent, the supervisor will allow you to sign a form that guarantees to reimburse the airline for any costs they incur if you are refused entry into Thailand.
  • You can quickly book a cheap ticket via the Internet. With a bit of searching, the cheapest tickets tend to be around US$30.

For what it is worth, I have flown many times without an outbound ticket and never been refused boarding (sometimes had to sign a form). However, my impression is that the airlines are becoming more strict, and especially US airlines, so having a ticket might be wise if you are of a nervous disposition.

• Like 1

clearly wrong behavior (wrong policy) by Delta.

I will forward this thread to a Delata guy and see what he has to say about it.

Not wrong, that is what the airline regulations says: visa, or exit ticket within 30 days. Check yourself:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280649

that's what Iwas saying, their policy - which you linked - is wrong.

clearly wrong behavior (wrong policy) by Delta.

I will forward this thread to a Delata guy and see what he has to say about it.

Not wrong, that is what the airline regulations says: visa, or exit ticket within 30 days. Check yourself:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280649

That provides misleading information.............

"Nationals of United Kingdom are granted a stay of max. 3
months within any 6 months period."
Wrong and outdated information
Can you post something accurate and up to date ?

It is not wrong. Immigration can restrict entry to those not having a visa and a exit ticket withing 30 days, and airlines must obey all laws. Immigration can also fine the the carrier bringing in persons not meeting these requisites. These powers are given by the Thai Immigration Act, which is Thai Law. If you think that is "wrong", that won't change the fact that laws and regulations are like that.

Beside that further restrictions have become the norm in Thai immigration policies toward people entering visa exempt, you a selectively quoting an aspect not relevant to the topic. Here the relevant piece of regulation quoted:

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 30 days: - for holders of British normal, emergency or temporary

Now, if you have any problem with these simple and true facts you can complainin to Maestro (forum admin) which quoted the documents, or IATA itself.

Beside that further restrictions have become the norm in Thai immigration policies toward people entering visa exempt, you a selectively quoting an aspect not relevant to the topic. Here the relevant piece of regulation quoted:

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 30 days: - for holders of British normal, emergency or temporary

Now, if you have any problem with these simple and true facts you can complainin to Maestro (forum admin) which quoted the documents, or IATA itself.

You posted a link containing outdated and misleading information.

Do not attempt to deny that fact.

That link directs to a page not associated with TV or any of the forum moderators/Admin.

Edited by oncearugge

It is not wrong. Immigration can restrict entry to those not having a visa and a exit ticket withing 30 days, and airlines must obey all laws. Immigration can also fine the the carrier bringing in persons not meeting these requisites. These powers are given by the Thai Immigration Act, which is Thai Law. If you think that is "wrong", that won't change the fact that laws and regulations are like that.

Okay you win.

Then I wonder why immigration offers to extend the visa exempt stamps for another 37 days ... their policies are wrong too.

It's like listening one-eyed and blind people discuss stereoscopic vision.

I had the case once some years ago, but after some discussions and seeing how my passport was full of Thai stamps, they let me board. No strange paper to sign either.

Okay you win.

Then I wonder why immigration offers to extend the visa exempt stamps for another 37 days ... their policies are wrong too.

I had the case once some years ago, but after some discussions and seeing how my passport was full of Thai stamps, they let me board. No strange paper to sign either.

Not 37 days. Visa exempt entry can be extended for 30 days and then again for 7 more, total 67 days Cost bt 3,800.

But that doesn't mean that the airlines has to change their regulations, because the normal visa exempt duration is still 30 days and that has not changed.

Okay you win.

Not 37 days. Visa exempt entry can be extended for 30 days and then again for 7 more, total 67 days Cost bt 3,800.

But that doesn't mean that the airlines has to change their regulations, because the normal visa exempt duration is still 30 days and that has not changed.

30+7 ... = ? do your maths.

• Like 1

You posted a link containing outdated and misleading information.

Do not attempt to deny that fact.

That link directs to a page not associated with TV or any of the forum moderators/Admin.

I did linked a page containing correct, actual and official IATA airline regulations. check what IATA is perhaps.

Again the documetns is http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280649

Originally linked by forum Admin Maestro on thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754481-boarding-to-thailand-without-return-ticket/

If you have any problem with that feel free to hit the "report this post' button on the bottom left corner, hoping that mods/admins will be OK with whining from someone that had to change nickname three times already.

-" Nationals of United Kingdom are granted a stay of max. 3 months within any 6 months period"
True? Or false and misleading ?
Did you post that information? Yes or No?

http://www.thaivisa....ttach_id=280649

If you are in Hawaii i suggest you contact the honorary consulate in Honolulu about a single entry non-o visa.

HAWAII

ROYAL THAI HONORARY CONSULATE-GENERAL

1035 Kikowaena Place

Honolulu, HI 96819

Tel : (808) 524-7787

Fax : (808) 523-0044

E-mail : [email protected] and cc. to [email protected]

Office Hours: Monday – Friday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm

Honorary Consul-General : Mr. Colin Miyabara

Source: http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

Last year I had Etihad challenge me because I was returning something like eight days beyond the thirty. Thank God I'd taken the trouble to get the 60 day visa. I'd been tempted just to "pay the fine", which I stupidly assumed would be an available option on departure. Lesson learned. If I travel one way on an O-A visa I'm still going to buy a £20 flight to Cambodia or Vietnam eleven months out - which will be thrown away - just to absolutely remove any scintilla of a possibility that I'll be left sitting on my backside in Glasgow Airport having wasted £300 quid on a flight.

Last year I had Etihad challenge me because I was returning something like eight days beyond the thirty. Thank God I'd taken the trouble to get the 60 day visa. I'd been tempted just to "pay the fine", which I stupidly assumed would be an available option on departure. Lesson learned. If I travel one way on an O-A visa I'm still going to buy a £20 flight to Cambodia or Vietnam eleven months out - which will be thrown away - just to absolutely remove any scintilla of a possibility that I'll be left sitting on my backside in Glasgow Airport having wasted £300 quid on a flight.

That is not needed. If you have a visa you don't need an exit ticket, that is in printed regulations and is understood by any airline supervisor. There are no reports of any airline not obeying this and no "scintilla" of possibility.

Edited by paz

That is not needed. If you have a visa you don't need an exit ticket, that is in printed regulations and is understood by any airline supervisor. There are no reports of any airline not obeying this and no "scintilla" of possibility.

I know - people always say what they'll do long in advance, and then what they actually do is different. I'm curious to see what I actually do. I'm a bit of a worrier though. My heart went through my boots when she said, "It won't take it because it's more than 30 days", and I realised that had I not bought the visa - which was nearly the case - I'd have been screwed.