Boarding to Thailand without return ticket

paz

This thread is meant to bring useful information (not sterile discussion) to those that travel to Thailand without having a visa. In this case, it is customary for Thai immigration not to ask for an outgoing tickets, but the airline may require the passenger to have an outgoing ticket out of Thailand within 30 days, see note 1 below. In case this requirement is not satisfied, one can be denied boarding.

It is well known that some airline may, or may not insist on the above. There is no much point in discussing which ones will or will not, and from which departure airport, because all that can change at any time. So it is recommended that those flying to Thailand on visa exemption and without outgoing ticket do as below, in order of increasing cost and inconvenience.

1. Do nothing, be prepared for discussion and take your chances. The airline may ask you to sign a disclaimer form with which you assume all costs related to being denied entry to Thailand. Again, there is no guarantee that the airline will give this option, you may be flat refused boarding or hurried to buy an expensive ticket at the last second.

2. Have an unpaid reservation/itinerary details printout. This is done by making a reservation over the phone with a full service airline (examples are Singapore airlines, THAI Airways, British Airways, United Airlines), have it emailed to you, and print it.

3. Buy and print a fully refundable/unrestricted e-ticket to show at check-in. A simple way to do that is to buy a ticket online to e.g Kuala Lumpur on Expedia, US site. The ticket can be cancelled and refunded with no fee within 24 hours. Other airlines can give more options but the purchase price can be high.

4. Buy and print an international train ticket out of Thailand to Malaysia. That can be done online at https://intranet.ktmb.com.my/e-ticket/login.aspx with a minimum purchase 20 MYR. Credit to member MrY for this.

5. Buy and print a cheap (USD 50 or so) one-way ticket out of Thailand with a low cost airline. Examples are Air Asia, VietJetAir, etc.

Please note: none of the above is illegal in any way.

1 Typical airline passenger boarding requirements: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/#

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current IATA guidelines for airlines have it in these words:

Visitors who are visa exempt are required to hold documents for their next destination.
Warning:
- Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward tickets could be refused entry.

See attached example for a traveller with a UK passport.

IATA guideline.pdf

Thanks, but wouldnt they want a return ticket home as the reason being if Thai passport control reject you, the airline is responsible for your sorry ass. You cant simply hop onto a train to Malaysia if that happens

No, they do not as that is not the requirement.

I went this this issue once, bought a "international" ticket from Bangkok to Vientiane on Nok Air, as I lived near Udon, the extra cost was about $10, for what was accepted by Canada Airlines as a onward international flight. It's actually a bus, but for $10, great value as I did get asked by Canada for proof of onward travel

"it is customary for Thai immigration not to ask for an outgoing tickets," That may or may not be so, but Thai Immigration have ever right to ask to see your ongoing confirmed reservations - not open dated. Flying with TG, SQ, MH etc these airlines have ALWAYS asked to see my onward reservations (or they see these on the reservation details on their computer) , otherwise they wont board you.

In the current climate the risk is much higher that you will not be boarded. Some may respond that they are getting away with it - but no guarantees for you. Simple solution - buy a ticket out of Thailand before you check in.

The Thai Consul at Hull (UK) make it clear that a return ticket is not required by the Thai authorities on arrival in Thailand. You can print out the relevant page and show that to the airline. I travel with Emirates from Birmingham (UK) and they always want to see my visa as the journey to Thailand is my return leg. Hope this helps.

It is pretty well certain that you will not get through when you check I if you do not have any documents showing your return or onward travel arrangements.

I have gone out from England, New Zealand, Australia, Hong Kong, China and Taiwan and have always had to show a document,either ongoing ticket to leave Thailand or show my APEC card before checking would give me a boarding ticket.

This is because the airline you travel with has to be responsible to take you out if you are refused entry because of no return etc.

Over the years, I must have flown into Thailand maybe 30 times or more. I am a US citizen.

Not once have I ever been asked to show a return ticket.

AND I almost always fly "stand-by" because my wife works for an airline, so no matter what, I would never be able to show a confirmed return ticket.

Just one person's experience.

Charlie

The Thai Consul at Hull (UK) make it clear that a return ticket is not required by the Thai authorities on arrival in Thailand. You can print out the relevant page and show that to the airline. I travel with Emirates from Birmingham (UK) and they always want to see my visa as the journey to Thailand is my return leg. Hope this helps.

Think you meant to say "return ticket is required. The Hull Consulate makes it clear that a return ticket is required on its website under General Visa Rules & Regulations - Tourist Visa Exemption "Foreigners entering Thailand by any means under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess a passport with at least 6 months validity and have proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of arrival otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained prior to entry."? The requirement is proof of exit from Thailand within 30 days not return.

I just arrived Bangkok this past Saturday on a one-way ticket from U.S., no visa. Reservation was booked on single itinerary for United to SFO, EVA to TPE, and TG to BKK. Had to get boarding passes reissued by EVA and again by TG - no questions asked, by any airline agent re not having a return or forward travel from Thailand. I had purchased a one-way BKK-SIN ticket for $56 as insurance should I be questioned, but never had to use it.

Getting a visa and being legit with no worries at check-in is the way to go. You won't need USD50 tickets to SIN that you may never use. Or as stated above get some kind onward reservation and print it out. The kind that you don't pay for do you font waste money.

Over the years, I must have flown into Thailand maybe 30 times or more. I am a US citizen.

AND I almost always fly "stand-by" because my wife works for an airline, so no matter what, I would never be able to show a confirmed return ticket.

Charlie

I went from Bangkok to the UK with a return printout, when I went to board my plane to come back, I was asked if I stayed in Thailand, I said yes, and I am now going home. The check in lady then asked for my address in Thailand, I said no, that print out is for my return to Thailand, and you will see there is a re-entry permit stamped on it.

She then said she would have to talk to her superior, she returned and said "that's OK" My reply to her will remain unsaid.

Charlie

I now live here on an O-A Visa, but in all my twenty, previous years of in-bound travel, I was never asked for a return ticket, etc. Appearance may have had something to do with this or not.

Things are changing and one has to comply with current law and policies and plan before going to the airport of departure.

It has been my experience that if there are any questions raised by an airline regarding one's ticket into Thailand such as length of stay or having only a one-way ticket, the airline has the right to ask you about it and deny you the ability to board. However (!), as they are not representatives of Thai Immigration they have few if any legal directives. I say few, only because they do have the right to protect themselves from any future actions that might be taken against them by the passenger/ticket holder.

These protections are in the form of not having to transport said passenger back if that person is denied entry into Thailand upon their arrival. No airline wants to have to pay for the passengers onward travel in such cases. Furthermore, they are usually unaware of the regulations regarding foreign travel within Thailand. Hell, even we do not really have a clear unimpeachable understanding! But the airline, in order to protect themselves do have the right to deny boarding if they feel that there is a reason as set forth by their operation manifest.

However, this does NOT mean that there is no positive conclusion for the passenger. For every airline has a form that can be filled out by said passenger admonishing the airline from any liability. Usually the ticket agent has no idea about this form and will have to be told and then asked to check with their manager/superior. This is simply because it does not always come up when passengers are checking in and so not usual. They are also not always up to date with the Thai Immigration rules concerning G7 members or the fact that there are certain countries that do not need proof of flight itineraries when applying for their Tourist Visa (the US in particular as stated on the Thai Embassy web site) in the first place and therefore can travel and enter Thailand without the concerns of the airline. So if you are asked or it seems that the airline has a 'problem' then ask for the form and fill it out. It only states that you (the passenger) will not hold the airline responsible if for any reason you are denied entry.

Now this, in and of itself, can cause concerns for the traveler. It will mean that once you sign this form you will be responsible for your own departure if denied entry. You will not be able to tell the airline that they have to take on the task of supplying you with out-bound transportation out of their own pocket. But given the present regulations in Thailand, having a valid (and authentic for we know that the Thai authorities are now spotting the 'fake' stamps and acting upon them and that the past "Tea Money" capability is not an option anymore) tourist visa issued at a Thai embassy/consulate there should be no difficulty when entering the Kingdom.

But then again we are talking about Thailand and as we all know the individual immigration officer has the ability based upon their own discretion to say "yes" or "no" to your entry into Thailand. However, even then you have the right to question their choice and ask to see someone else at the point of entry as set forth in the mandate that Thai immigration has in place. But the airline itself has no right to deny anyone from traveling into Thailand. They are not AGENTS acting on behalf of the Thai authorities or government.

So have a good flight and enjoy the experience and just have the correct visa and do it all with a smile and in a sober manner and be well.

I went from Bangkok to the UK with a return printout, when I went to board my plane to come back, I was asked if I stayed in Thailand, I said yes, and I am now going home. The check in lady then asked for my address in Thailand, I said no, that print out is for my return to Thailand, and you will see there is a re-entry permit stamped on it.

She then said she would have to talk to her superior, she returned and said "that's OK" My reply to her will remain unsaid.

IME it is normal to be questioned about this problem, at LHR-T4, I simply point out that I have a Thai retirement-extension in my passport and they are quite happy to accept that.

Even if the extension only has a week or two to run, before it needs extending again.

In the 5 years that I visited Thailand before moving to liver here, I was never asked for an onward ticket though I would not be surprised if this were to start happening in the future.

Now, I never have an onward ticket out of Thailand when I fly into Bangkok. When returning from the UK, I am more often than not asked to show my visa (extension of stay to be precise). If returning from nearby countries, (e.g. Macau or Singapore), I have never been asked to show my permission to stay here though again that could easily change.

Alan

Thanks, but wouldnt they want a return ticket home as the reason being if Thai passport control reject you, the airline is responsible for your sorry ass. You cant simply hop onto a train to Malaysia if that happens

No, they do not as that is not the requirement.

RECENTLY .....

In the 5 years that I visited Thailand before moving to liver here, I was never asked for an onward ticket though I would not be surprised if this were to start happening in the future.

Now, I never have an onward ticket out of Thailand when I fly into Bangkok. When returning from the UK, I am more often than not asked to show my visa (extension of stay to be precise). If returning from nearby countries, (e.g. Macau or Singapore), I have never been asked to show my permission to stay here though again that could easily change.

Alan

Yes Alan, every-one believe you, BUT the last 5 years are over already ....

Charlie

I now live here on an O-A Visa, but in all my twenty, previous years of in-bound travel, I was never asked for a return ticket, etc. Appearance may have had something to do with this or not.

Things are changing and one has to comply with current law and policies and plan before going to the airport of departure.

Me too.

However last Friday checking in for a Thai airways flight from Colombo to Bangkok I was asked for an ongoing ticket (not return, any ongoing ticket)

I couldn't find my other reservation on my phone. They then asked if I had a credit card, when I produced that it was OK.

I hope someone can provide me with some useful info relating to boarding an Etihad Airways flight from London to Bangkok with a one way ticket and an O-A long stay visa in my passport. I plan to do this in October 2014, it will be my first time flying with a one way ticket to Thailand. Will I have any problems at the check in desk? I have no plans to return to the UK for at least a year and do not wish to purchase a return ticket if I can help it. In anticipation thanks for any useful feedback.

I guess everyone's trying to save that extra bit, right? I flew with Etihad(boarded at Sao Paulo) on Aug 4. I hold a British passport and that's 30 days for sure, but I was thinking I might need more time to explore business opportunities here, so I got a 90-day ED visa with the help of a muay thai gym. Well, this Etihad chick at Sao Paulo had doubts on my visa with my ONE-WAY ticket, so she asked a few questions. "What are you doing in Thailand?" "Do you work there?" Blah Blah blah...That chinese chick speaks horrible English by the way...Anyway, got boarded and met a lovely Brazilian chick on the plane!

So, long story short, having a visa is definitely easier to get away with one-way ticket, BUT...be prepared to be bored by stupid questions...

So, long story short, having a visa is definitely easier to get away with one-way ticket, BUT...be prepared to be bored by stupid questions...

There is no point in applying and paying a visa when convenient to enter as visa exempt. My OP lists some methods that can be used to avoid discussions at check-in.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived