Registering a birth with UK embassy and obtaining UK passport

moto45

I am in the middle of getting paper work ready to register the birth of my newborn babies and also apply for their UK Passports. I have 1 question maybe someone can answer. One of the supporting documents is the Thai birth certificate translated to English. Our twins were born in Bangkok hospital and they supplied us with a English birth certificate that they produced, is this ok to use as the translated birth certificate or do I need to get the official Thai certificate translated?

If you take 10 minutes to get the Thai one translated and for what it'll cost you,then you'll have 3.This surely should suffice, plus it could save you time going to the embassy and perhaps being told,"sorry we need to see an official translation of the Thai birth certificate"

That's what I'd be inclined to do.

I will try and answer your question,but please bear in mind things can change. I also went to the British Embassy to Register my Thai / English Daughters Birth and also to obtain her first Passport. I went armed with her Thai Birth Certificate from the Thai hospital,and duly Officially copied and Translated into English. The Thai lady at the British Embassy,was very helpful and said they would send off the documents to the UK which could take up to 3 months for the English Birth Certificate and Passport,but dont worry,and sure enough everything arrived back safely!

PS Your English Birth Certificate will arrive in the Portrait format and not the Landscape format as we Brits are used to!

Edited by MAJIC

If you take 10 minutes to get the Thai one translated and for what it'll cost you,then you'll have 3.This surely should suffice, plus it could save you time going to the embassy and perhaps being told,"sorry we need to see an official translation of the Thai birth certificate"

That's what I'd be inclined to do.

So basically you dont know. Pointless post

I will try and answer your question,but please bear in mind things can change. I also went to the British Embassy to Register my Thai / English Daughters Birth and also to obtain her first Passport. I went armed with her Thai Birth Certificate from the Thai hospital,and duly Officially copied and Translated into English. The Thai lady at the British Embassy,was very helpful and said they would send off the documents to the UK which could take up to 3 months for the English Birth Certificate and Passport,but dont worry,and sure enough everything arrived back safely!

PS Your English Birth Certificate will arrive in the Portrait format and not the Landscape format as we Brits are used to!

Ok thanks. Also Do you need to make an appointment to hand the stuff in or just rock up? And do you need to surrender your passport or just copies?

Ok thanks. Also Do you need to make an appointment to hand the stuff in or just rock up? And do you need to surrender your passport or just copies?

I didn't make an appointment,just took a que number and waited my turn! No need for them to keep your Passport.

I didn't make an appointment,just took a que number and waited my turn! No need for them to keep your Passport.

I too want to register my new daughters birth and get the UK Birth certificate but when i read the Government website there was no mention of going to the Embassy in BKK, it just said send all the documents to the UK, including my Birth certificate which i don't have.

Have i misread the information and a visit to the Embassy necessary ? I am not applying for her passport yet as no plans to travel for at least a couple of years.