Required Tools for Toyota Hilux or Isuzu D-Max?

M1Tanker

Definitely a tool to change the spark plugs of my D-max diesel smile.png

Seriously , I'm tight with my money , but sweating in this weather...if I can just go to the Isuzu dealer/service?

With you all the way don't do services come to that don't do breakdowns either that's what I pay BHT for all in with insurance service have a contract with izusu khon kaen paid for three years up front work out a lot cheaper than singles and then a discount for cash.

For what it costs for decent tools here - it is easier to take to the main dealer. I owned an Mu7 for over 8 years & I have no complaints regarding the price or the quality of service at Isuzu. They have all the correct tools, use them correctly & have the know how as well. Same will apply to my MuX. I have no experience with Toyota

For what it costs for decent tools here - it is easier to take to the main dealer. I owned an Mu7 for over 8 years & I have no complaints regarding the price or the quality of service at Isuzu. They have all the correct tools, use them correctly & have the know how as well. Same will apply to my MuX. I have no experience with Toyota

Exactly like you.
The labor prices in Isuzu dealership are all just insignificant for a Western, and my MU7 remains like the first day despite 120,000 KM and a booster torque installed on the injection system.

For Vigo you need a good basic 1\4 and 1\2 drive metric socket set plus miscl tools like screwdrivers and pliers. To change oil filter you need special oil filter wrench available in most car parts shops for around 280 baht. Universal oil filter wrenches will not work. Service manual for Vigo available from Gregory's.check web. Is excellent manual. Basic repairs and servicing are easy and nice to do even if just not to forget how to DYI. Even changing the timing belt is very easy on the 1kd and 2kd engines. No special tools needed.

Vigo full of black boxes so for more involved work better to go back to dealer. I find them generally very knowledgeable and reasonably priced. I have no Isuzu experience. Probably similar.

For Vigo you need a good basic 1\4 and 1\2 drive metric socket set plus miscl tools like screwdrivers and pliers. To change oil filter you need special oil filter wrench available in most car parts shops for around 280 baht. Universal oil filter wrenches will not work. Service manual for Vigo available from Gregory's.check web. Is excellent manual. Basic repairs and servicing are easy and nice to do even if just not to forget how to DYI. Even changing the timing belt is very easy on the 1kd and 2kd engines. No special tools needed.

Vigo full of black boxes so for more involved work better to go back to dealer. I find them generally very knowledgeable and reasonably priced. I have no Isuzu experience. Probably similar.

Yes DIY if you know how to change the spark plugs on your D-Max. I wouldn't trust ISUZU dealer either when they suggest to do so at my diesel engine. 555 LOL.

L

Until about twenty years ago I used to do all the work on cars.

Since the labor in Thailand is so cheap, I stopped the dirty work. (Except on my Japanese import bikes.)

Only check oil, battery and tire pressure.

Tools= A rag, battery water, pressure gauge & tire pump.

Leave the rest to the ISUZU dealer.

So far had to adjust the headlights myself (Original too high and then too low).

And must tell them the right amount of oil, as they tend to fill up 0.7-0.8 Ltr.(!!!) too much at oil change.

Edited by Khunangkaro

Plus 1 for Isuzu service. Cheap labor and they make me feel like a king at the Phuket Town dealer. Beautiful waiting area with complimentary snacks and drinks, wifi, computers for customer use and a welcoming friendly staff. No appointment? No problem. It's good to have a basic tool kit around the house but no need for a specific set for my D-Max when Isuzu does such a good job for me while I relax.

The man wants to go tool shopping, will some of you stop trying to prevent a man from enjoying this basic human right.

Encouraging the man to go out and buy tools will just end up in misery and despair for him as well as scraped knuckles. Firstly buying tools of a quality you are used to back home is near impossible and when you can find them they are horribly expensive. Add to that the heat and sweat dripping into your eyes every couple of minutes makes in very uncomfortable and nothing like the lovely tinkering about the garage he is trying to capture from his life back home.

I know as I have been there and done it. I now just have a few basic tools that are used in an emergency to either get me home or to the nearest mechanic thumbsup.gif

If you know how to work on cars ? you know what tools you need.....!!!

Full set of spanners, several screwdrivers, pliers, to start with....!!!

I even had 2 foot long extensions for my socket set, great for removing hard to get at trans to engine bolts...wub.png

I used to much prefer the lazy mans method of using the windy gun thumbsup.gif

I still love the sound of it spinning the nut free wub.png

Ah those Halcyon days rolleyes.gif

Whilst on the subject of car maintenance .

I recently had an oil change and new oil filter in my Isuzu D Max ( 10,000 k since the last change ) and when I checked the oil levels the

next day the oil was black . I seem to remember that in the UK there was an option to have your engine flushed prior to filling with the new oil and also I have

heard of the sump cover being removed and cleaned . Does anyone here follow that procedure ?

Tools? Veerasiam on Sukhumvit Soi 71. Impressive selection. High quality to low quality. Of course you pay a bit more for the good stuff, but if you know what your doing, you don't need high quality for every piece.

Read an article that stated a $20,000 U.S. savings over the life of a car for those who fix things themselves as opposed to paying to have things fixed.

Dealers are reviled in the West. Can't imagine ( or hallucinate) them as any better here.

The ( non sweating) labour rate here however does make the option attractive certainly, yet, seeing how things are "maintained" here? And by those with "training" and "ethics"?

Ha..... ha ha ha........ ha ha ha ha ha .....ha ha IMHO

My dad and uncles were all long haul truck drivers and owned their own trucks. They always drained most of the oil and refilled the engine with diesel fuel. They let the truck idle for a few minutes, drained the crankcase and put in the new oil and new filter. You have to leave some oil in the engine because all diesel fuel doesn't have enough lubricity.

Common rail diesels don't really soot up anywhere as bad as those old school trucks with mechanical injectors.

One cup of diesel fuel into the old oil, idle/drive for about 15mins then drain the sump while still warm should

wash out pretty much all the sludge.