Medical Certificate For Non-immigrant "o A" Visa?

I am a retired Swiss, at present living here in the country with a 60 day tourist visa. I am going to change that visa to a non-O A-visa in Savannakhet next month. I have all my paperwork ready, except somewhere I read that a Medical Certificate might be needed too.

I could have the check up made at a local hospital, but what about certification. I spoke with with my Swiss Embassy in Bangkok and they told me, that they would not certify the work of any hospital here in Thailand, nor have they ever done so.

Questions: Is a medical paper really needed for a retirement visa and who in fact would certify such a paper, if ever, if the Embassy declines to do so?

P.S. My embassy got me my FBI file translated and certified at least.

1. You only obtain an O-A retirement visa in your home country. What you want is a retirement extension of stay from a non immigrant visa.

2. You already have a tourist visa so you can change inside Thailand at a cost of 2,000 baht to obtain a retirement extension of stay - no need to go to any Consulate. The normal requirement for visa is 21 days remaining on your stay but believe that is not being enforced at present.

3. The medical certificate is issued at any hospital or clinic and they should have forms in Thai listing the items required and they sign/stamp it. It normally costs from 100-500 baht and only a quick check with doctor. Not a major thing.

4. You do not need any FBI file for applications in Thailand.

5. You need - passport/arrival card, non immigrant visa or tourist visa with 21 days remaining on stay (extra 2,000 baht step), medical certificate, local bank letter, local bank passbook, Embassy letter of pension if that is being used, 4x6cm photo and TM.7 application (1,900 baht).

1. You only obtain an O-A retirement visa in your home country. What you want is a retirement extension of stay from a non immigrant visa.

2. You already have a tourist visa so you can change inside Thailand at a cost of 2,000 baht to obtain a retirement extension of stay - no need to go to any Consulate. The normal requirement for visa is 21 days remaining on your stay but believe that is not being enforced at present.

3. The medical certificate is issued at any hospital or clinic and they should have forms in Thai listing the items required and they sign/stamp it. It normally costs from 100-500 baht and only a quick check with doctor. Not a major thing.

4. You do not need any FBI file for applications in Thailand.

5. You need - passport/arrival card, non immigrant visa or tourist visa with 21 days remaining on stay (extra 2,000 baht step), medical certificate, local bank letter, local bank passbook, Embassy letter of pension if that is being used, 4x6cm photo and TM.7 application (1,900 baht).

I appreciate and thank you very much lopburi3.

You should know that I have already spoken with Thai immigration people that come down from Mukdahan to Roi Et city hotel each month on the 10 and 20th. Bangkok is not in my way and it was these people who advised me to go Savannakhet, which is only 2 hours away from where I actually live.

I favour and plan therefore to go to Savannakhet. What do I have to be care of at the Thai border not to nullify my present 60 days tourist visa which still can be extended by another 30 days if ever?

Best wishes.

I favour and plan therefore to go to Savannakhet. What do I have to be care of at the Thai border not to nullify my present 60 days tourist visa which still can be extended by another 30 days if ever?

I believe that you have to obtain a reentry permit before leaving so that your present visa will not be nullified.

What do I have to be care of at the Thai border not to nullify my present 60 days tourist visa which still can be extended by another 30 days if ever?

You need a single re-entry permit to protect your tourist visa, but if you're getting a new visa at Savannakhet why do you need it?

I don't think you can get re-entry permits at border crossings, I'm pretty sure only immigration offices and certain airports can issue them.

I'm not sure you can get a non-OA anywhere apart from your home embassy (even the consulates in the UK don't do them), you'll probably get a non-o which you can then extend on the basis of retirement once back in Thailand (you can also do this with your existing tourist visa as lopburi suggested) of course this will require a visit to an immigration office.

Might be an idea to contact Savannakhet to ensure they can do a retirement visa (and exactly what their requirements are) :o

I suspect what they told you to do is to visit Savannakhet to obtain a non immigrant visa by saying you were planning to retire. They are not going to issue you a non immigrant O-A in Savannakhet I am sure. What you may obtain is a single entry non immigrant O visa. You then have 90 day entry into Thailand and can convert that stay to retirement one year at a time by visiting Immigration with the items mentioned in my other post. There will be no need to change visa type in that case so you save the 2,000 baht. For your visit to Savannakhet I would take proof of your bank deposit. There is no reason to keep your current visa alive so no re entry permit is required.