Amy Winehouse documentary to be lesson for Thai delinquents

webfact

Amy Winehouse documentary to be lesson for Thai delinquents

BANGKOK (AP) — Social workers in Thailand think the tragic story of the late singer and songwriter Amy Winehouse can be a lesson to wayward youth, so they are treating about 100 of them to a movie about her.

Winehouse, bedeviled by addictions to drug and drink before her death in 2011 at the age of 27, was the subject of a well-received documentary this year, "Amy."

The Thai Health Promotion Foundation and the Stop Drink Network arranged for nearly 100 boys from a juvenile detention center, together with dozens of university students and members of various youth groups, to watch the film on Wednesday, saying they hope it inspires them to overcome their own problems.

The film documents Winehouse's talent, how she tried to cope with the pressures of fame, and her death of accidental alcohol poisoning.

"I think Amy's story is a real story that reflects real problems in the society, especially among teenagers. When Amy felt too much pressured, she acted out and started drinking, but she was gifted and she found that gift. It's not too late for the students to find their gifts and learn from her mistakes," said Kamron Chudecha of the Stop Drink Network.

Even though Winehouse was a celebrity with fans around the world, Kamron said he sees a lot of similarities between her problems and those of juveniles in detention centers.

"These kids think the society labels them as drug addicts, alcohol addicts and criminals. When one hits rock bottom, it takes a lot of courage to fight the loneliness and criticism, like when Amy has to fight the media attention and people around her. Amy lost the battle, but these kids still have a chance," he said.

The juvenile detention center outside Bangkok houses youths sent there for serious crimes such as murder and drug-related crimes with sentences of five years or more. Books and movies are shown and discussed as part of effort to rehabilitate them.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-09-23

Naturally use a foreigner as a case study, I suppose there are no troubled Thai ' stars ' that could have been used !

Using a Thai might be more effective being relevant and easily identifiable but it would mean exposing something negative too close to home and that would never do.

Naturally use a foreigner as a case study, I suppose there are no troubled Thai ' stars ' that could have been used !

Using a Thai might be more effective being relevant and easily identifiable but it would mean exposing something negative too close to home and that would never do.

On the other hand it could be something to do with the fact that there are no other documentaries available and if there were they certainly wouldn't have the clout of the Amy Winehouse one.

While social workers hoped for goals may be laudable, I think JDs might take some other conclusion home with them. Trading a few years fame, glory and money for an early death might seem like a good deal, compared to what their outlooks probably are.

How is some Thai delinquent meant to relate to a junkie alcoholic singer from an entirely different culture who had the World at her feet before her spiral into chaos?

Maybe better to actually punish the likes of Chalerm's son, the Red Bull heir etc to the full extent of the Law for the crimes they committed and use their stories, as they languish in prison or are strapped to the gurney to cop for the lethal injection, as a warning to avert potential delinquency....

+1...At least it's a first step.

Maidee I suggest ear test - listen to Sarah Vaughan

London accent = beyond your capability to understand

Can Thai authorities leave well alone - she shouldn't be put on any pedestal

Majority of Thais young and old don't know her story and it goes far deeper than a talented singer resorting to alcohol and drugs

Don't be judgemental

Loneliness is rampant all over the world and is a symptom of people who are selfish, greedy and lacking any desire to help those in need

Just look at the streets of bangkok

JGV

hearing here sing = torture

and hearing her speak, WOT WOT, YU GOTTAH BEE KIDIN' ME AIGHT ?

Presumably you would find Etta James, one of Amy's main influences, painful to listen to too. I am always amazed by people's taste in music or lack of such.

Anyway as others have pointed out it would have been much more appropriate to find a Thai star whose name they can recognize, or wasn't there a Korean singer who topped himself a few years ago?

Problem is with using someone famous and talented like that is, it all looks great and an enviable lifestyle until she drops dead.

That's the point, the lifestyle killed her!

Clearly never been a drug user or all that close to one have you, lucky you. All of them to a man think they will buck the odds and the house will pay.