Toyota Hilux Sport Rider

streboris

Has anyone here ever owned a Hilux Sport Rider and have any manuals for it or information to share?

Mine is 1999. I understand it's basically a modified twincab Hilux (according to Wikipedia), but I'm not sure exactly which model...

I've got the service log book but no manuals...

I own a Sportrider. A 2004 model I think. The last year it was in production, before the Fortuner was launched. Mine has the 3liter D4D engine similar to what the first Fortuners and Hilux Vigo were equipped with. The Sportrider was based on the Hilux Tiger pickup with later sportriders having a facelift. I bought it second hand in I think 2007, and have had nearly zero issues with it in over 8 years. It's a little narrower than newer SUV's, but it's longer. It was and I think still is the only available car where I can load my surf equipment or SUP board inside the car, not having to fiddle around with tying stuff on the top. Compared to new SUVs its noisy and bumpy, but I am not complaining. The thing is bulletproof, and is pretty well equipped. The only thing I miss is a cruise control and memory settings for the driver seat and mirrors.

I have a Thai manual, but looked in vain for an English manual. Asked some Toyota dealer shortly after I purchased it, and no one could get their hands on a copy in English.

Anyway, purchased mine 3 year used for 690,000 including 1st class insurance for a year, as everyone was upgrading to the Fortuner. I just got an offer of 400,000 for it. So that's a depreciation of around 3,000 Baht a month, not bad at all.

Enjoy your Sportrider!!

Great general purpose car and tougher than the Tuna.....

I believe the asian cousin to the 4 Runner in the US although looks smaller to me - have a 4Runner there....Toyota uses/used 15% to upsize/downsize → not sure if that has remained the same but the Sportrider looks smaller to me....

I can't beleive the prices at the low end of the second hand car market. I paid over the odds for this. 270,000 Baht for a 16yr old car with 225,000Km on the clock! But after looking around all the car dealers, this was the best option for a 4x4 with 4 doors, under 300,000 Baht.

Fuel economy is a bit disappointing tho! 12.7 Litre/100km

I've gone from a 2010 6.0lt V8 Caprice with 350hp that did 11.4 litres/100 km, had 80,000 km on the clock, and I sold in Saudi for 280,000 Baht

To a 1999 2 ton Tank with 95hp that does 12.7 litres/100km, has 225,000 km on the clock for the same money

lol it's a bit of a change and I need to adapt my driving habits but the 2 ton Tank is deffo more appropriate for rural Thailand.

There's a few niggles that I need to sort, but on the whole I'm happy with it.

I asked in Toyota for owners, and workshop/service manuals, but the answer was owners manuals are only supplied with the vehicles, not available after and workshop/service manuals are not available because they are copyright.... lol they dont want me doing my own repairs is what i think they mean.

If I knew exactly which model hilux it was based I could maybe get a manual for that for the mechanics

Edited by streboris

If you can determine the exact year, and engine model number, use Google to see which pickups used the same engine.

I would bet that all the running gear is common to both models - engine, ECU, trans, diffs, etc.

Then source a pickup service manual.

Probably only the body different, so switchgear, instruments, and of course body wiring will not be common, but this is easy to troubleshoot with a multimeter.

The Toyo dealers can pull up the Tiger from its VINs etc before your vehicle went to be Re Vamped if they want to.Think it was Rung Thai or something similar ,they still do conversions on truck platforms today..coffee1.gif

Thai Auto Works did the sportrider conversion.