Where is there really good Hor Mok Talay in Pattaya?

Jingthing

I love this dish but don't know where to get a really good version of it in Pattaya.

I've had it at a number of places and it's been from mediocre to very poor.

One tourist trap type place actually just served a pimped up omelette instead of the curry mousse ... SHOCKING!

Never exceptional as I've had elsewhere in Thailand.

I find it hard to believe excellent Hor Mok Talay can't be had here ... so if you know, please say where!

I am talking here about the RESTAURANT version of this dish, served in foil or a coconut, and not the street food version of it served in a banana leaf.

post-37101-0-61175800-1443005731_thumb.j

For reference of my taste, a version of a "just OK" version of this can be had at Surf Kitchen restaurant and it's also low priced which is good because it's not worth a high price. I won't mention the places where it's quite horrible.

Not to be crabby (there is often some crab in this dish) but not really looking for, this place might have it ... looking for more like this place has it, I've had it, and it's very good!

Edited by Jingthing

Rimpa Lapin, Ban Ampur?, Cabbages and Condoms? Moom aloi?

:)

Somsak in Soi 1 ( I think...).... Pretty authentic and spicy too, but Ive never found any hormok in Pattaya which compares with that found in Bangkok.

Pity as one if my favourite dishes also....in fact I think it is one of the great dishes of the world!!!!

Surf kitchen used to have a great one, served in a coconut. The one they serve now in a foil is decent, but not quite as good.

Cabbage and Condoms do server a decent one as well, have to ask for it spicy though.

Good thread, will be interesting to hopefully find some new places that have a great Hor Mok.

Surf kitchen used to have a great one, served in a coconut. The one they serve now in a foil is decent, but not quite as good.

Cabbage and Condoms do server a decent one as well, have to ask for it spicy though.

Good thread, will be interesting to hopefully find some new places that have a great Hor Mok.

Surf Kitchen on Jomtien Beach road right ??? Ok I'll try there....but Somsaks was seriously spicy tha last time I eat it....in a coconut if I remember rightly !!!!

Surf Kitchen on Jomtien Beach road right ??? Ok I'll try there....but Somsaks was seriously spicy tha last time I eat it....in a coconut if I remember rightly !!!!

Yes, jomtien Beach Rd, between soi 5 and 6.

Never had it at Somsak's, used to go there quite a bit before he moved across the street.

Almost always went for the fish gratin with mussels or liver pate as a starter.

Guess I'll have to get back there again for the Hor Mok.

I don't think it really matters as far as the flavor if it's served in foil or coconut. Some places have a choice and charge more for the coconut container. That's a matter of presentation.

I don't think the version at Surf Kitchen is anything special, not now, and not ever. But it's surprisingly cheap. If that was the only Hor Mok Talay I ever had, I wouldn't know what I'm missing now ... a much better one.

I also like it spicy and Surf Kitchen will make it spicy if you ask, but spicy or not, in my opinion, they do NOT do a great version of this famous dish.

Not knocking the place though. It's good that they do an "OK" version of it and cheap as well.

Edited by Jingthing

Well, you should try Somsak as I think it was/is pretty authentic

The best Hormok I ever had was at "once upon a time"off Silom in Bkk, but alas they closed 26 years ago in 1989 when they put up a condo, but the Hormok was fantastic and Ive never found anywhere in Pattaya to compare.........

ever ordered Hor Mok Thalae it in the Nang Nual ? - nangnualpattaya.com - it's one of the best seafood restaurants of Pattaya.

Located on Walking Street, about in the middle between Beach Road and Bali Hai Pier. The've never ever dissapointed me - great food !

Another option- yet not in Pattaya but close by - might be the harbour pier restaurant in Bang Saray

I would always prefer the coconut-container or pineapple container version to an aluminum foil preparation, though

Edited by crazygreg44

• 3 months later...

Hey there.

I found what I consider a quite good Hor Mok Talay at a place everyone who goes to Jomtien immigration office would know.

THAI AROI DEE restaurant, to the left of the immigration office.

I used to eat there for their Vietnamese inspired spring rolls but I hadn't been for years.

Noticed they have Hor Mok Talay so had to try.

Cost is 170 baht and in foil is the only option.

Told the waiter I like spicy and I got spicy.

It was THICK like I like it, good flavors, nice amount and variety of seafood including scallops.

No, not the best in the world, or the best in Thailand, but VERY GOOD and quite a fair price as well.

It did what I expect in a Hor Mok Talay.

Edited by Jingthing

I used to eat there for their Vietnamese inspired spring rolls but I hadn't been for years.

But that was a different place altogether.

Their Vietnamese Breakfasts were also good, but it must be 3 years since they closed their doors.

Thanks for the tip on the Hor Mok though.

But that was a different place altogether.

Their Vietnamese Breakfasts were also good, but it must be 3 years since they closed their doors.

Thanks for the tip on the Hor Mok though.

Thanks for the correction.

Yeah, I forget the restaurant had changed.

Same location and it looks so similar, but yes, a different menu.

At the old place those Viet spring rolls well very popular as they were served with a huge basket of fresh greens. This place has spring rolls but I think more typical Thai ones. The current place has some other dishes of interest. For example a grilled beef salad using imported beef. People go there for dinner, not just for lunch while enjoying the immigration office experience.