Chillies dropping off..

KenDidd

Hi all KenDidd, for the saving of your chilli seeds, get a small plastic container and drill a small hole in the lid, fill the container with water, to about 3/4 full and put your chilli seeds in it and place it in the sun and then quite often put your finger over the hole and shake it and after a few days empty the contents into a tea strainer and replace the water and put the seeds back in, do this until most of the fruit matter is gone and place them on some baking paper until they are dry , and that's it, they are ready to be planted and I do it this way for all my seeds, but with chilli's they don't have much fruit matter to remove, so you can just dry them in the sun and plant them, but with tomatoes that's the best way to have clean seeds.

Cheers

scoop

Thanks scoop, good tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all KenDidd, for the saving of your chilli seeds, get a small plastic container and drill a small hole in the lid, fill the container with water, to about 3/4 full and put your chilli seeds in it and place it in the sun and then quite often put your finger over the hole and shake it and after a few days empty the contents into a tea strainer and replace the water and put the seeds back in, do this until most of the fruit matter is gone and place them on some baking paper until they are dry , and that's it, they are ready to be planted and I do it this way for all my seeds, but with chilli's they don't have much fruit matter to remove, so you can just dry them in the sun and plant them, but with tomatoes that's the best way to have clean seeds.

Cheers

scoop

Thanks scoop, good tip.

What do you have against fruit matter? My wife just plonks 'em in and they grow. The fruit matter isn't there for your pleasure, it plays a part in the germination of the seed, providing it with nourishment and protection.

Some seeds do need to go through a drying process before they germinate but any accompanying fruit isn't going to do any harm if it is dried. I was a seed collector and we only did stuff like this when we needed to send seeds abroad.

Cheers

scoop

Thanks scoop, good tip.

What do you have against fruit matter? My wife just plonks 'em in and they grow. The fruit matter isn't there for your pleasure, it plays a part in the germination of the seed, providing it with nourishment and protection.

Some seeds do need to go through a drying process before they germinate but any accompanying fruit isn't going to do any harm if it is dried. I was a seed collector and we only did stuff like this when we needed to send seeds abroad.

Hi all, cooked, I don't have a problem with fruit matter! and when I am not too concerned about how many plants I want in a one pot, I don't worry about it! I just prefer clean seeds because I can put one single seed in a one pot, particularly with the tomatoes I grow, I use a double truss method where I need lots of seedlings , and there is no plant stress that way, but to separate multiple seedlings I would suffer a setback of at least one week because of the stress of that process. Why suffer that set back if I don't have to.

Cheers

Scoop .

Anyone wants to exchange some chili seeds? I can offer Jalapeño from Royal Project

PM me your address, I'll send you some seed.(Hyb.)

Please keep your jal seed, from the jals that I've got from The Mall Korat from

the RP, they are like green popcicles.

rice555

Anyone wants to exchange some chili seeds? I can offer Jalapeño from Royal Project

rice555

I have a small padded envelop waiting for an address, serranos and anchos, if no reply,

I'll plant them my self, but I'm short on coir and time, going twice.

rice555

rice555

Checks in the mail.

rice555

I have a small padded envelop waiting for an address, serranos and anchos, if no reply,

rice555

Ill take them if he doesn't get back to you Rice555 James Harrison

27/1 moo 8
Tha yang
Chumphon
Thailand

rice555

Checks in the mail.

rice555

rice555