Horror attack highlights dire need for mental health care reform in Thailand

webfact

Horror attack highlights dire need for mental health care reform in Thailand
By Saksith Saiyasombut & Siam Voices

The brutal murder of five children in Chiang Mai should be a major concern for a Thai government promoting ‘happiness’, writes James Austin Farrell

BANGKOK: -- Five children were killed this week when a 24-year-old man, Apasa Seewua, said to have recently been released from Suan Prung Psychiatric Hospital in Chiang Mai, entered a house and attacked them with a 19-inch meat cleaver. One of the victims was an eight month old baby.

The others were all aged less than eight years old. One other child, as well as a pregnant mother, survived the attack and both are reported to be traumatized but recovering in hospital. Two boys and one girl were the injured mother’s children, while the other two victims were the woman’s nephew and the son of a neighbour.

While it was reported in the Guardian that the police had said that Apasa had no history of mental breakdowns, his father was reported as saying that his son had, “been suffering from major depression ever since his wife left him and took their children with her”. It was also reported that the father had tried to ensure that Apasa kept taking the medication he had been given by the hospital after his release.

Police initially reported that the man had been a former drug addict, but Paritat Silpakij, Suang Prung Hospital’s acting director, was reported by the Bangkok Post as saying that a blood test showed no sign of drugs in the man’s body.

Full story: http://asiancorrespondent.com/135915/horror-attack-highlights-dire-need-for-mental-health-care-reform-in-thailand/

-- ASIAN CORRESPONDENT 2015-10-01

He obviously was not fit to be released,and the result 5 young children were murdered,

now the powers that be will be trying to cover their <deleted>,and try and move the blame.

RIP, the little children

regards Worgeordie

" Police initially reported that the man had been a former drug addict, but Paritat Silpakij, Suang Prung Hospital’s acting director, was reported by the Bangkok Post as saying that a blood test showed no sign of drugs in the man’s body"..........

A former drug addict doesn't use drugs anymore, that is why there were no sign of drugs in the man’s body.

I do not understand what the journalist tries to imply.

Easy way to reform the whole mental illness health care: If a patient who was released as "mentally fit" commits a crime after his release, the psychiatric who made that declaration and signed serves the same sentence as the crazy culprit.

First start to learn more Thai about simple daily psychology, before you offer mental health care. It is well known that p.e. people in countrys where reflection on own behaviour like Thailand, Arabic and many other cultures, is unknown, there is not much to treat. You just can medicate and try to control. If you wanna call that mental health care, then there is no care. Just control.

Easy way to reform the whole mental illness health care: If a patient who was released as "mentally fit" commits a crime after his release, the psychiatric who made that declaration and signed serves the same sentence as the crazy culprit.

Maybe your method is a bit too easy as that will result in nobody being declared mentally fit anymore from the day that rule is introduced.

Think overflowing mental hospitals and anybody who ever gets in one has a life sentence. Guess how many new patients will come in?

Around 8 years ago, I got to know a Thai psychiatrist who was conducting research into mental health issues in teenagers living in the NE of Thailand.

She told me she had observed and measured evidence of increasing problems with young people in this area, yet that in the whole of Thailand there were only 14 psychiatrists who specialized or had an interest in adolescent mental health. Most of them were in Bangkok and ran private clinics. The government health sector was woefully underrepresented with only a few doctors available to diagnose and treat such patients throughout the country.

She also opined - understandably - that without proper services, screening, treatment and facilities, things would get worse.

It's time that Thailand acknowledged that mental health issues are a major problem in the country, and do something about it. The question is, what?

" Police initially reported that the man had been a former drug addict, but Paritat Silpakij, Suang Prung Hospital’s acting director, was reported by the Bangkok Post as saying that a blood test showed no sign of drugs in the man’s body"..........

A former drug addict doesn't use drugs anymore, that is why there were no sign of drugs in the man’s body.

I do not understand what the journalist tries to imply.

From another report it was stated there were no signs of prescription drugs in the body.

Ridiculous suggestion!

If that was the rule, nobody would ever get released. I know if I was a dr and had the potential of a life sentence hanging over me, I would not release anybody, even you if you came in with a slight case of the blues.

It's not only mental patients that commit murder.