Ubon Dsitrict Visa Office Move

OldgitTom

The Tourist Police told me the Phibun visa office will transfer to Sirinthorn in 'October'. The new office will be at/near the Sirinthorn police station, which is on the lake. Farangs on visa business will have to phone in for any further details needed.

TIT, but puzzling; Ubonratchathani is the district capital, & transport hub, so why put the visa office near the Laos border, TWO HOURS away from Ubon by bus? There is a Border Control office at Chionmek already, just down the road from Sirinthorn. Why a new office, even harder to reach, especially for old gits renewing retired visas, like me, who have a struggle walking 100 meters.

The computer & internet mean a visa office can be anywhere, surely? What's wrong with Ubon? Ubon has a main police station, a Tourist Police office, & even Transport & Border police. But no visa handling facilities, not no-'ow.

That does sound a bit odd alright.

Some of these things get messed up by a new boss who wants the office, for instance nearer to where he lives.

I do not know if that is the issue but things like that do happen depending on who has friends in high places.

For me, when I get info like that I just try to adopt a wait and see position. Yes of course it will inconvenience you as well as many others but that does not seem to be any consideration in the choices made by officialdom in Thailand.

Regards.

I went to Phibun last week to comply with their 24 hour return notice. My wife accompanied me and

spoke with one of the immigration officers there. He/She stated their displeasure with the move. Someof them live in the northern part of Ubon province and will have to drive farther to work. They alsostated that if a letter with as many signatures as possible was sent to the Commissioner of Immigration requesting that he consider a satalite office at the Ubon International Airport might open their

eyes to the need for an immigration office here in northern Ubon province. So, I am in the process

of drafting a letter and signature pages to be sent to him. As soon as I have it finished I

will post here where I will be and if anybody wants to sign their name they will know where to do it. This is for all Expat's of all nationalities. With a little help we will be able to get quiet a few

signatures that might make a difference.

There has been a ongoing discussion about the immigration office moving on the the pinned Ubon topic for some time now. There is even a pic of the new office which is about 27 km from the current office.

The month keeps moving. I was told in an email by an a friend that the date he was told was 1 November.

But in a recent post by a member said he was told long time. That is the response my wife got in August.

• 5 weeks later...

An Ubon expat recently told me the new visa office is open & running. He said it's on the main drag near the Sirinthorn turnoff. If it were a few ks further on, it wouldn't even be in Thailand! Intentionally or not, this siting maximizes inconvenience to Ubon farangs, especially old retirees.

In Ubon we have a main police station, tourist police office, highway police, & AFAIK, border police; so why no visa office? I can't see what the big problem is. All that's required is some office & desk space. The personnel exist already.

Edited by OldgitTom