Mom-and-pop stores upgraded to stimulate domestic consumption

Lite Beer

With Makro open to the public, local stores have no chance.

In addition, shopping at Makro or LOTUS is a social outing. How often do you hear - "Meet you at LOTUS".

Farewell Mom & Pop stores.

When is hot and sticky or lashing rain,big c, lotus or central is a nice place to meet with free aircon and low prices all under 1 roof... And usually a foodcourt too

There is no way any mom and pop shop can compete, the only thing that surprises me is that they're still operating and not out of business already, that super rich dude that owns nearly all the 7/11's will eventually control it all, it's just a matter of time and economy of scale...

Similar to trends in the West, these type of stores are "dead". Cannot compete on anything - price, diversity of stock.

Unlike their counterparts in the Philippines? Wiki tells us:

! It is estimated that 800,000 sari-sari stores hold a substantial portion of the Philippine retail market, and accounts for a significant chunk of the countrys GDP. About 13 percent or Php 1.3 trillion of the Philippines GDP of Php 9.7 trillion in Y-2011 came from retail, which is composed largely of micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs) or small businesses like sari-sari stores. While many of the Sari-sari store owners may be un-schooled in business, they are an integral part of the eco-system of society and contribute to the grassroots micro-economy."

In Thailand The Mom-and-Pop stores sell single items or small quantities to local people who cannot or will not plan their weekly shop more efficiently. They happily buy one cigarette or one sachet of washing powder, rather than save money buying in quantity. The "have money, spend money" culture at work. Not dead by a very long way.....

It's not as silly as it sounds, think about not only internal consumtion

but the freedom of commerce, to stimulate domestic consumption, put

yourself in the shoes of a Greek citizen for example, every cash register

is linked back to the tax department so you can't hide from tax, every

item you buy must be issued a receipt even for small coffee, you

must give your tax file number (must be entered in the register) for

every purchase, even if you just buy an apple, the goods and serine tax

is now 23% on everything, and people are making fun of corner shops

in Thailand, why not come back to Europe where THERE ARE NONE

all closed, thank you so much.

Of course this has no economic impact but the pm can go on TV and have something to talk about since the government has zero results to show after seizing power. I bet this comes up on his TV show.

Reality is going to be painful folks, I've read up on TPP and to qualify for duty free tariff autos have to be assembled from parts in signatory countries. So expect manufacturers to move production from Thailand to Malaysia/Vietnam soon.

When I walk out of the front gate of our condo complex, I can see three 7-Elevens, one Mini Big C, one Tesco Lotus Express and a Family Mart. All six of them are no further than a two minute walk down the road from one another.

I have no clue how they are all staying afloat and there is no way a Mom & Pop set up could possibly compete in this area. A little zoning would go a long way towards helping out the little guys.

Sounds to me like they are offering mom & pop shops to become Yang Yeun agents, that's all.

Such a shrewd move wouldn't you agree.

Certainly is......need someone to counter balance the SEALS, Special Forces, MI6 and CIA agents who post here....what better than Yang Yeun agents.

With the cunning cleverly wrapped tee shirt over the head the western guys don't stand a chance.

Will be interesting to see the covert bar stool messaging in the near future.

Simply astonishing numbers,a whole 57 shops over 43 provinces with the advent of another 30.

This is wonderful news and will impact massively on the nation I'm sure.

A real boost to the economy.

Indeed, once there are only 100 or so 7-11s for every M&P shop 7-i holdings and it's identi-stores staffed by sullen teenagers will go the way of the Dodo. Can't wait to see it happen.

7-11 is owned by one of the untouchable groups. This is just pfaff.

The sewing machine people? They own 7-11?

Could explain why they have the market stitched up.

Edited by Mudcrab

I'd say a more likely ending will be the yang Yeun corporation is a rebranded version of cp foods corporation who makes nearly all the stock in the 7/11s

This would be the perfect way to get his products into all the m+p shops without anyone crying about monopolies or unfair business practices

Watch this space

In our village and the one next to it there are three mum and dad type shops. All doing very well from what I can see. The nearest "big shop" is a Lotus Express about 12k away.

I'm happy to buy the small day to day stuff locally in the village. I think these shops will be around for the foreseeable future.

Edit to add:

They are an important part of the social structure of the village and serve as a meeting point for people etc. I can't see any of the 7-11s taking their place in that respect

Edited by Mudcrab

In our village and the one next to it there are three mum and dad type shops. All doing very well from what I can see. The nearest "big shop" is a Lotus Express about 12k away.

I'm happy to buy the small day to day stuff locally in the village. I think these shops will be around for the foreseeable future.

If the lotus express was closer, more people would use that, don't worry, probably be a franchise move in there soon...

If the lotus express was closer, more people would use that, don't worry, probably be a franchise move in there soon...

Don't think so...I'm talking about a real Thai village...dirt roads, dogs and buffalo crap. Not a trendy city style "chardonnay village" or farang ghetto.

Don't think so...I'm talking about a real Thai village...dirt roads, dogs and buffalo crap. Not a trendy city style "chardonnay village" or farang ghetto.

OK, but these corporations are greedy

If they open a nice clean shiny new 7/11 with a bakery and cafe inside it, the m+p shops next door will be screwed

There is simply no contest, it's not a coincidence that the guy who owns the 7's is one of the richest men in the world

He owns a plethora of companies we use every day and last year he expanded aggressively and bought a lot more...

I always thought the original owners were Aussies.

No - Americano.

Very big in Asia.

7-Eleven worldwide is owned by a Japanese company:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_%26_I_Holdings_Co.

The franchise in Thailand is owned by Thai company CP, who also own the Makro franchise.

Tesco Lotus is also Thai-owned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesco_Lotus

Edited by SpoliaOpima

With Makro open to the public, local stores have no chance.

In addition, shopping at Makro or LOTUS is a social outing. How often do you hear - "Meet you at LOTUS".

Farewell Mom & Pop stores.

When is hot and sticky or lashing rain,big c, lotus or central is a nice place to meet with free aircon and low prices all under 1 roof... And usually a foodcourt too

There is no way any mom and pop shop can compete, the only thing that surprises me is that they're still operating and not out of business already, that super rich dude that owns nearly all the 7/11's will eventually control it all, it's just a matter of time and economy of scale...

Also the fact when you are sitting in the air con and enjoying it you can watch the people from the mom and pop shop buying supplies to sell in their shops. You see them buying stuff in places like Makro all the time. Also any 7/11 that is't owned by the main corporation has some mom or pop that owns it as well. The mom and pop shops are in trouble because they sell nothing out if the ordinary, usually have higher prices, and offer outdated products and horrible conditions to shop in. Most of them are simply middle men and you can buy directly without using their services. The local places are also out gunned when it comes to sheer variety. Which shop do you think is going to be more likely to have a passionfruit bacardi breezer?

The main thing that they are good for is buying booze during the off hours. Put all of the ethics aside and I would bet most people would much rather have a 7/11 next to them than an average local shop. would be interesting to have a poll on the subject.

Simply astonishing numbers,a whole 57 shops over 43 provinces with the advent of another 30.

This is wonderful news and will impact massively on the nation I'm sure.

A real boost to the economy.

i wonder did anyone tell them they have to pay TAX and VAT.gigglem.gif