Cambodian police arrest 3,402 drug suspects in 9 months

geovalin

The number of people arrested for drug-related crimes in Cambodia has increased by 153 percent during the first nine months of 2015, a senior police official said on Saturday.

Some 3,402 suspects were arrested in relation to 1,668 drug cases from January to September, Deputy National Police Commissioner Gen. Mok Chito said, adding that more than 87 kg of drugs had been seized.

He said during the same period last year, police netted 1,345 people in 564 drug-related cases and confiscated 43 kg of drugs.

"We have achieved good results in drug fights this year thanks to police's efforts in cooperation with the people," the National Police's website quoted him as saying.

According to the official, a raid on a Phnom Penh villa in June arrested four suspects with nearly 55 kg of methamphetamine and heroin, and another operation on a Phnom Penh house netted three traffickers with 1.5 tons of marijuana.

It is estimated that about 20,000 Cambodians have been using drugs.

source: http://www.china.org.cn/world/Off_the_Wire/2015-10/03/content_36736556.htm

What type of drugs? If they were smart, they would legalize growing pot. I just returned from the US and for the states which legalized pot growing and smoking, the economies are booming. There's so much money going around that backpackers are streaming in from overseas to trim pot plants for $150 to $300/day. What's the downside? None that I can see. It's win-win for everyone. Too bad SE Asia leaders are still in the Pleistocene age regarding pot. article which explains the wisdom of allowing SE Asian farmers to grow pot and hemp

> What's the downside? None that I can see

Sever mental illness in a significant percentage of young men, often leading to severe psychosis or suicide. This has been documented in psychiatric studies around the world.

Edited by t8769

> What's the downside? None that I can see

Sever mental illness in a significant percentage of young men, often leading to severe psychosis or suicide. This has been documented in psychiatric studies around the world.

....attributed to smoking pot? I hadn't heard of that. There are mentally ill people everywhere, how can researchers ascertain it stems from or is exacerbated by pot smoking? Even if that's true, it can't be worse than what alcohol does to people: wife beating, car wrecks. When have you ever heard of a pot smoker beating his wife or wrecking his car into a bus full of schoolkids?

BiB here could learn something from Cambodian Police of how to do actual policework ... but I guess they could learn from anyone ...

It's a good job they didn't adopt Thaksin's methods of 'gun down anyone you suspect of being involved in drugs' - if any citizens are in the way then gun them down as well as they are likely associates and make sure you reach your quota of killings otherwise you will be demoted or replaced!!

I think that Thaksin had murdered roughly the same amount of people as the Cambodians ARRESTED.