Irishman warns about proper health insurance after his ordeal in Thailand

webfact

His mum Collette said, “It was such a shock for us and we were desperate to get him home. We tried everything including the British Embassy but all they could do was provide a translator.

Waste of space the British Embassy .. Shame on them ..

What because they would'nt "cough up" instant money to bail out a young guy without adequate health insurance.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Insurance is good advice, but if you're over 62, good luck, it's outrageous, so you pay or run the risk. Most of us, run the risk.

Not for AIA. The only one that qualify any up to 70 years old, without medical exam, and without pre existing conditions, and it is valid until 80 years old, for under 3000thb/month.

Injuries from an accident can cause costs for medical reparation, and/or can cause disability, or can be deadly.

Please sort your labels.

A health insurance is neither a disability insurance nor a life insurance.

The insurance for the damage caused to someone else is normally called a liability insurance in Europe. An accident insurance is for damages on job (the question of guilt does not arise here).

Some insurance companies offer a mix of the above insurance types, but when it comes to legal disputes you have to refer to the prototypes.

Two issues here, this advise will work with the backpacker's shoe string travelers, and with

the young crowd how come to Thailand thinking, ' I'm alright, it ain't going to happened

to me', other than that travel insurance, for little as a $100 a month, make a whole lot of sense....

...<deleted>-and your post does not make sense...

His mum Collette said, “It was such a shock for us and we were desperate to get him home. We tried everything including the British Embassy but all they could do was provide a translator.

Why is the British Embassy a waste of space - because they would not provide a hand-out due to his negligence? Money for the Embassy comes from everyone's taxes, which means people like me and I do not intend to fund someone else's stupidity. Wake up people and be responsible for your selves.

You don't mind funding those crooks that run the show though, do you?

• I took out travel insurance with covermore, and when i did need to claim i realized it didnt cover anything you really need to read the fine print, never use covermore
I had a good international health insurance, I payed equal to 80,000 Baht a year for it. Then I was hit by a motorcycle and broke my arm. I only summed up 50,000 Baht in hospital bills but when contracting the insurance company it came to a big fat "NO"!

- Why?!

- Because you have psoriasis!

They said that that was a preexisting condition that might had effect my broken bone.

So I asked about the actual insurance coverage, and the answer:

- The insurance will not cover anything as it might be related to psoriasis. And in case you die we will have to examine your corps as it might be related to psoriasis before we pay out your life insurance!

So what they said was basically that all insurance fees I had payed over the years to them was for nothing. I counted and if I would have saved the money in the bank instead of paying them, it would be over a million Baht (for 2 insurances, health and life) on that account!

Insurance companies are nothing more than professional scam artists but they have been given a do as you please card by governments globally. Pretty much the same as banks and any other corporations. I stopped using insurance companies about 15 years ago after I my place was burgled and they only paid me about 25% of the real damage. Since then I have been saving the money that I normally paid to those criminals, in a separate account and only needed to tap into that money once, but it's pretty much intact and getting quite large. Count all the money you pay to them over a lifetime and how much you actually 'use or get back'. It's shocking. Stop being sucked dry just because of fear. Use your brain and wake up. Get out of the scamming web of large corporations

Britain the country that will help every other country except its own, makes me sick

Why is the British Embassy a waste of space - because they would not provide a hand-out due to his negligence? Money for the Embassy comes from everyone's taxes, which means people like me and I do not intend to fund someone else's stupidity. Wake up people and be responsible for your selves.

You don't mind funding those crooks that run the show though, do you?

or all the hand outs that they give to people who should not be in the UK, that comes out of my taxes too, but charity begins at home, and regardless he needed the help, had it been some Muslim girl in a Muslim country preaching for rights there was not a problem then when our taxes paid her and her families bills

" Travel Insurance" policies have many small print clauses thatcan be used to decline payment for much more thn loss of luggage! And most have a valid period that is limited to 3 months despite appearing to be valid for 12 months.

Yes...it is imperitave to read and comprehend the policy terms.

Hospital treatment costs for non Thai are prohibitavely exaggerated in private institutions ( theoretically superior) for the same reason as the funding for them is intended.

The average tourist will usually have no issues but longerstay "victims" need be very careful !Or....expect a cost.

Despite the hollywood imagery Embassies/ Consulate services are primarily diplomatic and not 'Refuges" in normal situations.

My best wishs to this man for best recovery and may his plight waken people to the cruel reality that in an international endemic .

" Travel Insurance" policies have many small print clauses thatcan be used to decline payment for much more thn loss of luggage! And most have a valid period that is limited to 3 months despite appearing to be valid for 12 months.

Yes...it is imperitave to read and comprehend the policy terms.

Hospital treatment costs for non Thai are prohibitavely exaggerated in private institutions ( theoretically superior) for the same reason as the funding for them is intended.

The average tourist will usually have no issues but longerstay "victims" need be very careful !Or....expect a cost.

Despite the hollywood imagery Embassies/ Consulate services are primarily diplomatic and not 'Refuges" in normal situations.

My best wishs to this man for best recovery and may his plight waken people to the cruel reality that in an international endemic .

I insure with Just Travel for my frequent 6 month stays in Thailand from the U.K & i list 4 health problems 1 of which is heart Arrythmia & ongoing Cardiology investigations. Just Travel load my basic premium but it still comes out at 351 GBP for full cover with 100 GBP excess & 5 ml GBP full health & accident cover, so i think that is a very fair premium to pay .

Insurance is good advice, but if you're over 62, good luck, it's outrageous, so you pay or run the risk. Most of us, run the risk.

I self insure, but have a savings account that would cover emergencies like this. Also, because I self insure, I don't ride scooters. Just not worth the risk.

Self-insure, never heard the term (and like it!) but know the concept and agree that while some catastrophic insurance is a good idea it's one of the biggest rackets in the world.

I had Thai insurance on a motorbike rental, had an accident that rang up about 10,000 in costs, not too bad. Getting the check to reimburse me was a joke: many postponements, so I went to the office with a heads up to have it cut for me TODAY. When I arrived I was told it had to wait another week. I refused and wouldn't leave, and magically the check appeared after 10 minutes. I nearly ran out with it, got in the tuk-tuk (this was in CM), and two employees actually ran out after me asking for the check back on some flimsy pretext. I ignored them, had the driver race to the closest bank and cashed it before they could stop payment on it (which wouldn't have surprised me).

Kind of hate to say it but the amount of shameless behaviour in LOFS rivals mainland China at times.

Edited by PaPiPuPePo

What because they would'nt "cough up" instant money to bail out a young guy without adequate health insurance.

Am looking at a bigger picture here also they say ? The government has no money we have to close a number of embassies around the world to save money .. But yet we bail out other counties problems ..when we have problems ourself its a joke but each year foreign aid budget goes up a billion each year like this year we will look to have spent in the region 12 billion .. Also when we need help abroad there are lack of staff whom speak English or any understand for that matter but time after time vulnerable people will stuffer .. even the money we give away could go along way back in Britain due to tom dick and harry abusing are system like the NHS / Unemployment / Hosing Benefits and so on ..

In the past , and now , i have used both Coverwise and Cover-for-you insurance , and both provide cover for bikes (if you have required licence) with their annual policys , alowing me to travel several times per year . Costs about 4,200 Baht per year . No reason to gamble without it .

I wish him a speedy recovery , he is one of the lucky guys after all , so close to end up dead on the most dangerous roads in the world .

But when you work as a teacher , he should have checked that he had a proper insurance befoe he started to work here. It's the most important document you'll carry besides your passport.

Edited by balo

As he was Irish, he could have always tried the Irish embassy. whistling.gif

The British born Irishman made the choice not to have proper travel insurance. What's so difficult with the concept of taking responsibility for oneself?How many times does it have to be stated that British taxpayers do not wish to take on the burden of paying the expenses of people who choose not to take care of themselves. whilst on a foreign leisure trip? Why would you expect someone working long hours to pay for someone on holidays, medical expenses?

His mum Collette said, It was such a shock for us and we were desperate to get him home. We tried everything including the British Embassy but all they could do was provide a translator.

As he was Irish, he could have always tried the Irish embassy. whistling.gif

The British born Irishman made the choice not to have proper travel insurance. What's so difficult with the concept of taking responsibility for oneself?How many times does it have to be stated that British taxpayers do not wish to take on the burden of paying the expenses of people who choose not to take care of themselves. whilst on a foreign leisure trip? Why would you expect someone working long hours to pay for someone on holidays, medical expenses?

Because I worked for him/her when he/she went to public school?

this is a very interesting topic, i just wish there were more experienced posters here.

So what i am interested in - is actually not the THAI based insurance companies, because i wouldnt trust them for one and doubt they are cheaper here.

For those of us staying here long term, surely getting travel insurance back in our home country for say 6 month periods will actually be cheaper and more geared up towards getting us out of dodge should a serious problem occur, which we probably would not want to be in any Thai hospital should heart surgery or a stroke occur.

Secondly i would much appreciate knowing more about the credit card insurance options, as a backup. What good credit cards actually provide insurance?

There has always been a lot of complaints about the insurance industry and insurance policies.

Sure enough when you do make a claim on the insurance policy that you have already paid for......they commonly ( as in, not always but all too often ) have a variety of reasons as to why you can not be covered for your particular situation.....and you never know really until the time comes and you are in desperate need of the coverage....and then the big disappointment.

"Sorry sir but we do not insure you if you were injured while riding on a rented Moped"....."Have a nice day"...click!

Cheers

this is a very interesting topic, i just wish there were more experienced posters here.

So what i am interested in - is actually not the THAI based insurance companies, because i wouldnt trust them for one and doubt they are cheaper here.

For those of us staying here long term, surely getting travel insurance back in our home country for say 6 month periods will actually be cheaper and more geared up towards getting us out of dodge should a serious problem occur, which we probably would not want to be in any Thai hospital should heart surgery or a stroke occur.

Secondly i would much appreciate knowing more about the credit card insurance options, as a backup. What good credit cards actually provide insurance?

Most travel insurance policies exclude scooter accidents. When I travel, I always get a policy with evacuation support. But I don't ride scooters.

You better believe it. You are getting ripped off by criminal organizations once again. The ones that make the laws are the worst.

They will treat British expats like scrounging refugees now, even if they already worked for the system.

But you still have the freedom to die - or kill. Hopefully you learned something useful.

P.S. Don't take my postings too serious. There'll be lots of propaganda soon about "values" etc. In a short time you will have forgotten everything - and love Big Brother.

Edited by micmichd

Getting out of Dodge,there are ways round it.

Need to get stabilised after accident,govt.hospitals OK for that,then flight to (2 hours to accident and emergency dept) (Christian hosp.for one)Calcutta for broken bones etc,fraction of the price and far better than Thai hospitals.

Again heart or anything surgery wise India. comparing cost, friend received false knee,plus prostate surgery ,costing £11,000 less in better class hospital in India than Thailand.

Medivac,try Air India,buy 3 seats they will take you,as stretcher case,or fly business class

Always so much easier to blame the UK government than offer any meaningful advice. They are there for a purpose which does not include repratriating everyone that suffers an ingrown toenail.

There has always been a lot of complaints about the insurance industry and insurance policies.

Sure enough when you do make a claim on the insurance policy that you have already paid for......they commonly ( as in, not always but all too often ) have a variety of reasons as to why you can not be covered for your particular situation.....and you never know really until the time comes and you are in desperate need of the coverage....and then the big disappointment.

"Sorry sir but we do not insure you if you were injured while riding on a rented Moped"....."Have a nice day"...click!

Cheers

You should read the policy then and understand the exclusions before you pay for it then. .too simple ?...ignorance is no excuse

you have signed something which states you have accepted the T&C of the contract...typically one will have no problems with the insurance in the case of a "Moped" accident if one has a full motor cycle license....common sense really :rolleyes: