Irishman warns about proper health insurance after his ordeal in Thailand

webfact

I find it amazing that we give away 12 billion on foreign aid and a British citizen who maybe in a vulnerable situation lucky to get any sort of compassion apart from a bloody translator .. What a nice fair society we live in at this day and age .. But anyway that's the conservative party for you ..

Then add the fact that the UK will freeze your pension if you choose to live in a "non scheduled area".

I read that when a retired Aussy marries a younger woman, of working age, they will reduce his pension because they expect her to work and keep him!

Who says life is fair?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Important fact!!

9 out of 10 insurance companies, will not cover you if your driving a scooter/motorbike.

Absolutely and right that you point this out. Insurance companies often will consider motor cycles as sports vehicles or limit cover to those not exceeding 125 c.c .

Cover may also be voided unless your International Driving permit shows a Motor Cycle qualification.

But with the Sun on their heads even a helmet fails feature in the thinking of many!

insurance companies in the UK are a waste of space you are lucky if they pay-out these days even if you are covered .. every few days or so you read something in the UK about an insurance companies..

Edited by Nicolas32

I find it amazing that we give away 12 billion on foreign aid and a British citizen who maybe in a vulnerable situation lucky to get any sort of compassion apart from a bloody translator .. What a nice fair society we live in at this day and age .. But anyway that's the conservative party for you ..

Labour/conservative doesnt matter who is or was in goverment....they have never bailed people out who get in trouble overseas...

So stop whinging and singling out a specfic political party...if you want nanny state support and put your hand out...you need to live in said nanny state....people who dont want to live under a nanny state need to grow up and look after their own affairs

Important fact!!

9 out of 10 insurance companies, will not cover you if your driving a scooter/motorbike.

Absolutely and right that you point this out. Insurance companies often will consider motor cycles as sports vehicles or limit cover to those not exceeding 125 c.c .

Cover may also be voided unless your International Driving permit shows a Motor Cycle qualification.

But with the Sun on their heads even a helmet fails feature in the thinking of many!

Driving a motor bike and related insurance is no different from a car, as you correctly stated if you have a proper license for said bike you will have no problems with insurance, but if you come to Thailand, rent or buy a bike with no license and you have a wreck..

what would one expect the insurance company to say... yes we will pay...:rolleyes:

In Australia this bloke would have no problems and a big compo cheque on the way. Third party medical insurance is a compulsory component of your annual registration fee . Simple as that.

Stay away from Asian roads.

Assuming the truck was registered.

I knew a bloke many years had his life ruined.....walking along a bush track and young kid hit him in a old bush basher.

No insurance - zilch - bugger all.

Medibank sorted out the medical bills etc, but he was left unable to work ever again.

Labour/conservative doesnt matter who is or was in goverment....they have never bailed people out who get in trouble overseas...

So stop whinging and singling out a specfic political party...if you want nanny state support and put your hand out...you need to live in said nanny state....people who dont want to live under a nanny state need to grow up and look after their own affairs

Simple fact to the matter is they have subcontracted everything to other companies and do little or none work even these days you have to do your own paperwork then get charge ridiculous amount of money for a bloody stamp its a joke ...

Edited by Nicolas32

He's a young guy so the insurance for a year would be a pittance. If you intended to work in a country for a year common sense says get proper medical insurance.

As for the truck driver, I presume they threw him in jail for 10 years !!!!! not.

Police say "you bad man, pay me 200 baht"

Simple fact to the matter is they have subcontracted everything to other companies and do little or none work even these days you have to do your own paperwork then get charge ridiculous amount of money for a bloody stamp its a joke ...

Who is they...? And besides what are you bleating on about anyway...the discussion is about insurance

Important fact!!

Why would anybody ride a moped on a street with large vehicles like trucks??? Motorcycles are dangerous, but their mobitity and speed can get you out of the way of an accident.

A Moped is something you ride in your housing area or a small lightly traveled road???? You better keep your insurance up even if you do not drive. They have enough idiots

driving over here that can hit you even if your walking!!!! facepalm.gif

Who is they...? And besides what are you bleating on about anyway...the discussion is about insurance

Government sorry

Important fact!!

You mean medical insurance in Thailand if one has a motorbike accident?

If you are employed in Thailand, your employer is legally required to pay for your private health insurance.

Important fact!!

If you are employed in Thailand, your employer is legally required to pay for your private health insurance.

Yes and no doesnt the rule state medical insurance ? Which could also be the govement medical scheme...private medical insurance to me at least means the likes of BUPA etc

Government sorry

But lack of medical insurance in a foreign country a British citizen is visiting is not their problem and getting them out problems they find thrmselves in, in said foreign country is not their problem either

Sorry, I was forced to live in a nanny state and pay for it.

I got scammed, nanny turned out to be a terroristic greedy bitch.

Important fact!!

Yes and no doesnt the rule state medical insurance ? Which could also be the govement medical scheme...private medical insurance to me at least means the likes of BUPA etc

It's the state SS system, better than government, not as exclusive as the fully private.

But if his employer didn't pay into the system, they would be legally liable for all the medical fees.

So first stop, give them the bill, if they don't pay make a complaint to the employment office, and they will force payment.

The entire OP and title is a nonsense.

And which nanny state where you FORCED to live in ?...

Germany.

Germany.

Never heard of East Germany referred to as a nanny state, as this would be the only Germany people where forced to stay in

I have taken out accident insurance with KasiKorn Bank, but the THB 2 million for death or dismemberment is reduced to THB 300,000 if it's a motorcycle accident (small print).

In April, I ended up in Pattaya Memorial hospital needing 6 units o blood for a Helicobacter Pylori infection. Unknown to me, my brother had taken out additional insurance as he thought I might have a bike accident, but it also covered hospital admission and saved me THB 152,000 medical bill!

Don't get caught short in Thailand! Insure yourself properly!

Your accident insurance covered this?

Germany.

Never heard of East Germany referred to as a nanny state, as this would be the only Germany people where forced to stay in

Forget it, would be off-topic to explain.

Germany.

Explain away..if its west germany you refer to i stand to be corrected but no one is forced to live there...

Edited by Soutpeel

And the truck insurance ?

The guy in the truck had no insurance sounds about bloody right .. to be honest with you ..

So if that truck owner a thai had no insurance that's OK right? where as if it was a foreigner then you bloody hell take care of the victim and victims family for the rest of your life??? Makes me sick.

You know I think most of the laws should be reciprocate. Like In Europe or USA or any other country if a thai commits accident he/she will be liable for the victim and victims family for the rest of his life. Or how about making same policy for residency???

Only then they (may) understand.

And the truck insurance ?

The guy in the truck had no insurance sounds about bloody right .. to be honest with you ..

So if that truck owner a thai had no insurance that's OK right? where as if it was a foreigner then you bloody hell take care of the victim and victims family for the rest of your life??? Makes me sick.

You know I think most of the laws should be reciprocate. Like In Europe or USA or any other country if a thai commits accident he/she will be liable for the victim and victims family for the rest of his life. Or how about making same policy for residency???

Only then they (may) understand.

Unfortunately, there is no justice system in this country. Think "feudal Europe".....

Germany.

Explain away..if its west germany you refer to i stand to be corrected but no one is forced to live there...

OK, West Germany, 1992.

I was treated as an outpatient after severe fire injuries and had the choice either to become a homeless bum or get a good job. I decided to get the job, because I wanted to go to Asia and find a family there someday.

Someday in West Germany, 2013, I had found this family and decided to go to Thailand asap. They locked me up and expropriated me, and then threw me out of the country when I had almost nothing left.

Your problem if you don't believe it.

Gosh, when did the rules of conversation change?

It used to be quite acceptable to respond with a simple "Sorry to hear about your problems, thanks for the heads up", without passing judgment on a fellow traveler's IQ, blood alcohol level, or heredity.

Doesn't seem to happen that way any more. Kind of sad, really.

Edited by impulse

His mum Collette said, “It was such a shock for us and we were desperate to get him home. We tried everything including the British Embassy but all they could do was provide a translator.

Waste of space the British Embassy .. Shame on them ..

I've had some quite good service from the British Embassy.

I you mean financial help, I don't blame them for not helping people. (how many people in the past were helped financially only for them to become a lot less grateful and more forgetful when they are safe & sound back home).

I believe that they will pass on money that is lodged in a bank in the UK for helping a relative, or for a body to be repatriated.

I agree; while I take issue with the very expensive fees levied by the British consular service for everyday requests, I have no beef with their not providing gratis financial assistance to citizens who are foolish enough to neglect their adult responsibilities while abroad.

"... who are foolish enough to neglect their adult responsibilities while abroad."

Exactly. This thread is full of advice that might seem appropriate to give children travelling for the first time, but telling adults they should have insurance and they need to understand the terms of the coverage for which they're paying seems incredible. Maybe throw in "look both ways before crossing a street" and "don't take sweets from strangers" as well.

Some people, especially those from the notorious nanny states, have never learned to take responsibility for their own lives. And expecting an embassy to have people on call to come 'round and wipe their bums is equally childish.

And those "notorious nanny states" are?