Favorite Buddhist Books (not Suttas) And Reference Websites

rikpa

“Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes For A Buddhist Revolution” By David R Loy

"David Loy's Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes for a Buddhist Revolution might have a flashy title, but it is a serious and substantial book that poses real challenges to the reader. The book builds on a theme that Loy has working on for several of his last books—namely, that the three poisons are so intricately built into our society (greed in the market economy, anger in the military industrial complex, and delusion in the fame-chasing omnipresent commercial media) that awakening needs to happen in the social as well as the personal realm. This places the book firmly in the realm of Engaged Buddhism. However, its overarching theme concerns how to ensure that the Buddhadharma survives and flourishes in the West. Loy argues with conviction that in order to have relevance in the West, the dharma must find the middle way between its many traditional Asian forms and the contemporary Western feel-good consumerism that characterize much of today's spiritualism."—Buddhadharma

http://www.wisdompub...Sex,+War,+Karma

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes For A Buddhist Revolution” By David R Loy

"David Loy's Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes for a Buddhist Revolution might have a flashy title, but it is a serious and substantial book that poses real challenges to the reader. The book builds on a theme that Loy has working on for several of his last books—namely, that the three poisons are so intricately built into our society (greed in the market economy, anger in the military industrial complex, and delusion in the fame-chasing omnipresent commercial media) that awakening needs to happen in the social as well as the personal realm. This places the book firmly in the realm of Engaged Buddhism. However, its overarching theme concerns how to ensure that the Buddhadharma survives and flourishes in the West. Loy argues with conviction that in order to have relevance in the West, the dharma must find the middle way between its many traditional Asian forms and the contemporary Western feel-good consumerism that characterize much of today's spiritualism."—Buddhadharma

http://www.wisdompub...Sex,+War,+Karma

Have you had a chance to read it yet? Sounds inspiring. One review:

http://www.westernbu...-war-karma.html

I just downloaded the book from Amazon.

I look for the Dhammapada in Thai. I have 11 translations in English, German and French.

But no one in Thailand knows about. I want to give English teaching in a Branch of Suan Mokh Wat in our Province for young monks using the Dhammapada.

Do you have a e-book download for me?

• 2 months later...

A Mindful Nation: How a Simple Practice Can Help Us Reduce Stress, Improve Performance, and Recapture the American Spirit

Publication Date: March 27, 2012

In one of the most optimistic books to come out of Washington during these trying times, Congressman Tim Ryan presents us with an inspiring and hopeful view of our country’s future—and a roadmap for how to get there. Across America, people are feeling squeezed, exhausted, and running faster and faster while falling farther behind. The economy continues to struggle, wars rage on, and every week brings news of another environmental disaster. Everything seems broken and people feel helpless to make a difference. Despite this bleak outlook, there are strands of quiet hope and confidence. People are beginning to take action in a new way: they are slowing down, paying attention, and gaining an awareness of the inner resources at their disposal.

This new way is based on the timeless and universal practice of mindfulness, the natural capabilities of our brains and minds, and the core American values of self-reliance, stick-to-it-iveness, and getting the job done. And it’s manifesting in every sector of our society—it’s helping sick people work with their pain, school children improve their learning, veterans heal from trauma, and CEOs become more inclusive and effective leaders. All these benefits—and more—are supported by scientific research on mindfulness that is regularly reported by the mainstream media, such as ABC World News with Diane Sawyer.

In
A Mindful Nation
, Congressman Tim Ryan—an all-American guy from the heartland who is also a thoughtful, committed leader—takes this story about the benefits of mindfulness to the next level. He connects the dots between what’s happening with mindfulness in the classrooms, hospitals, boardrooms, research labs, and army bases across the country by sharing his interactions with experts in education, defense, health care, criminal justice, and the environment.
A Mindful Nation
paints a picture of emerging solutions that both benefit the reader
and
address the societal difficulties we are facing. Ryan’s folksy, warm, and encouraging voice uplifts us and shows that there
is
something we can do right here and right now to help ourselves and our country.

Both inspiring and pragmatic,
A Mindful Nation
shows how the benefits of mindfulness apply to the current challenges that affect each of us in our own lives and in our communities, and thus have implications for our society as a whole. With a hard-nosed understanding of politics, government budgets, and what it takes to get something done, Ryan connects a practical approach—lead with the science, show the savings
and
show how this can help us educate our children to be competitive in the world arena—with a hopeful vision for how mindfulness can reinvigorate our core American values and transform and revitalize our communities.

http://www.amazon.com/Mindful-Nation-Practice-Performance-Recapture/dp/1401939295

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can find a review of The Lovelorn Ghost and the Magical Monk on New Mandala, an even longer one in pdf format here, and the book itself on Google Books.

Very interesting and thorough review. White is very critical of McDaniel's basic thesis. Perhaps he should write his own book :)

I've downloaded the book to my Kindle and look forward to reading it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow. Available in mobi (Kindle) format too.

Camerata you know I am always happy to convert pdf's to mobi's for you just as long as you don't mind the splattering of random Chinese characters!

Good find Fabianfred thank you.

There's a book by Luang Ta Maha Bua where he talks about this, though he speaks from the p.o.v of a forest monk, so it may sound blunt to some.

I believe this is in the excellent biography of Ajahn Man, although it could be in Patipada. The relics of Ajahn Man can be seen in a building that looks like a Christian church at Wat Pa Sutthawat in Sakhon Nakhon.

I can't remember which one - lol, sanya ... both books are wonderful - especially Patipada. Anyone interested in the ways of the Dhutanga monks spanning from Luang Sao and Mun onwards would more than likely enjoy it. It was given to me by a monk who stays at the temple of the translator of the book mentioned above. It gave a a restored sense of well-being and encouragement during my first pansaa. Anywhere I went, there it was, in my bowl.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

not Thai related but practical western books on zen buddhism :

joko beck, "everyday zen", and "nothing special".

Charlotte Joko Beck (1917 - 2011) was a fine, very down to earth, teacher. These two books are well worth reading.

agree. she was influenced from buddhism in japan if i recall correctly.

interestingly enough, one of the more well-known monks in thailand (sorry, don't have his reference at hand and can never remember the thai monks names) is teaching a more "back to the basics" buddhim and refers several times to buddhism as it exists in japan/china which is (apparently) less ceremony & tradition and more direct experience and teaching about enlightenment. joke beck definitely strives for the latter.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism

by Joseph Goldstein

Amazon.com Review
Insight Meditation cofounder Joseph Goldstein ponders the possibility that all Buddhist teachings could be distilled into One Dharma. As Buddhism continues to grow in the West, Goldstein shows us the value of uniting this movement rather than allowing it to become fractured by its subtle differences. He does not advocate a watering down or mixing up of the various traditions. Rather, "We can practice each of them in its own integrity and come to a genuine depth of understanding." Readers who are wary of a scholarly analysis of Buddhist nuances need not worry. Goldstein (The Experience of Insight) relies on personal anecdotes and accessible language to explore the common themes in all Buddhist teachings. Though purists will no doubt quibble, Goldstein believes that following one Dharma is the way the West will be won, weaving together the methods of mindfulness, the motivation of compassion, and the liberating wisdom of nonclinging. "These three pillars--mindfulness, compassion, and wisdom--are not Indian or Burmese, Japanese or Tibetan; they are qualities in our own minds." --Gail Hudson
From Library Journal
Separated by time and space, the several traditions of Buddhism and their many internal variations grew from the Buddha's original teachings into disparate systems of practice on the path to liberation. Having himself confronted these discrepancies, Goldstein, a highly respected teacher of meditation, cofounder of the Insight Meditation Society, and widely read coauthor (with Jack Kornfield) of Seeking the Heart of Wisdom and The Path of Insight Meditation, seeks here to define the One Dharma "the essential point common to all the teachings." To this end, he reviews the development of Buddhist traditions and explores various meanings of nirvana, liberation, lovingkindness, and other concepts as viewed primarily from Theravada, Tibetan, and Zen perspectives. Novices to Buddhist literature will find these teachings made accessible by a clear, simple eloquence and enlivened by anecdotes from Goldstein's personal spiritual journey. More experienced seekers will discover an excellent overview and a useful lead-in to David Brazier's The New Buddhism. Highly recommended for public and academic libraries. James R. Kuhlman, Univ. of North Carolina Lib., Asheville
Copyright 2002 Cahners Business Information, Inc.
Review
“Brimming with wisdom and compassion, One Dharma offers a brilliant map of the spiritual path.”
About the Author

Joseph Goldstein is a cofounder of the Insight Meditation Society in Barre, Massachusetts, where he is one of the resident guiding teachers. He is the author of The Experience of Insight and Insight Meditation and has coauthored books with both Sharon Salzberg and Jack Kornfield. He has studied and practiced meditation since 1967 under the guidance of eminent teachers from India, Burma, and Tibet. He lectures and leads retreats around the world.

http://www.amazon.com/One-Dharma-Emerging-Western-Buddhism/product-reviews/0062517015/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

'Warner stage dives into the Sam Harris, Karen Armstrong, Christopher Hitchens mosh pit of the God or no God debate--and body surfs up with a typically provocative perspective. The fact that the book's title is Warner's mis-remembrance of a Zen monk's quote is emblematic of his profoundly engaging and idiosyncratic take on the ineffable power of the "ground of all being."'

Available June 11, 2013

http://www.amazon.com/There-Is-God-Always-You/dp/1608681831

9781608681839_p0_v3_s260x420.JPG

I'm looking for the following book, but don't know where to get (or bucha) a printed copy:

The Biography of the Venerable Phra Acharn Mun Bhuridatta Thera
A Spiritual Biography by Acariya Maha Boowa Ñjanasampanno

Who can help me with this?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived