50-year-old Norwegian tourist assaulted, robbed in Pattaya

webfact

I would assume the taxi driver didn't know how much money the Norwegian had on him before the assault, right? So the amount of money he had on him is irrelevant. Ok, he's a tourist so doesn't know the town, and I imagine knew it even less if he'd been drinking til 5 am. And the driver probably got frustrated, which is still no excuse for assault, but anger management not a strong suit here (note many posts where drivers like to dive into scuffles that don't concern them). Should have dropped passenger off at police station and let them deal with him.

Maybe pre-paid and the Motorcy driver saw the wad?

Motorcycle taxi wants 200 baht ! RED FLAG # 1 12,000 baht in his pocket at night ! MISTAKE #! Likely drunk. MISTAKE # 2 Likely zero common sense. Typical stupid foreigner allowed to enter Thailand. Millions more will follow both men and women this year. ZERO SYMPATHY from me! Common Idiot !!!!!!

Sounds about right, and still they go out with stupid ammounts of cash on them....

So if you take out more than a couple of thousand baht cash then it's ok for Thais to mug you? I find the attitude of some TVF posters incomprehensible at times, it's almost as though they become orgasmic hearing of a fellow farang being robbed and beaten. Less goody-two-shoes, patronising attitudes on here would be a fine thing.

I think the point is more so don't walk around with more than you are willing to lose. Nobody is saying anyone deserves being mugged. But if you are mugged (or money happens to fall out of your pocket) then better to not have way more than you had planned on spending anyway.

If you've been to an ATM, 12K isn't much. I take 20K out when I use ATMS and yes the money is on me until I get home.

Why would you take 20k out with you each time you use an ATM? Give or take that's about 400 pounds in my native money. I rarely carried that much around at home, so why would you do it here?

This is really bad story though, a bloke gets robbed by some thieving basket case who sees a drunk man as an opportunity. He probably rode around for 30 minutes wondering what to do with him,, maybe he was contemplating something much worse so perhaps this Norweigan guy should thank his lucky stars.

Cant see them catching the robber though, Pattaya police are about a useful as a back pocket on your shirt.

in reply to jingthing if you take out 20k every time you use an atm in my opinion you are a very foolish fellow just asking to be robbed, tell me are you a high roller?

I take the same bcuz of bank fees, I have safe at home or I put in my Thai bank account, I usually carry a good amount too, 8 years here, but I'm street smart and don't Drink

Come on people- Pattaya is safer than any major tourist city.

Let's think- Rio, Paris, Manilla, Chicago, Barcelona - and don't even think about African or South American cities

The guys who bash Pattaya are sitting in some god forsaken village ( of course wish they were in Pattaya) - they are the only foreigner in the village- they spend ages on this forum discussing the best type of window bars and whether a chihuahua or a pit bull is a better guard dog- seem terrified of the local population.

Their only amusement is to watch the rice/ tapioca/ rubber trees grow and think about how life had passed them by.

They think 12k is a sum that they could only imagine- it's not much.

What happened to the guy is not good- but to imagine that anyone venturing into sin city is going to be attacked is just rubbish- and it will somehow effect Thailand - grow up

I would assume the taxi driver didn't know how much money the Norwegian had on him before the assault, right? So the amount of money he had on him is irrelevant. Ok, he's a tourist so doesn't know the town, and I imagine knew it even less if he'd been drinking til 5 am. And the driver probably got frustrated, which is still no excuse for assault, but anger management not a strong suit here (note many posts where drivers like to dive into scuffles that don't concern them). Should have dropped passenger off at police station and let them deal with him.

Maybe pre-paid and the Motorcy driver saw the wad?
pre paid?!?!?!?! Taxis are never prepaid.

Maybe to some 12000 Baht is an extraorbitant sum but I do carry around that every day just in case I need something.

Finely you guys seem to suggest that he somehow deserved what he got. I strongly disagree. The reputation of Thailand goes down the drain and you seem happy. I wonder why?

People coming for holiday here and having some fun and drinks are beaten and robbed and you blame them. If Thais woudl have any common sense the local police would be hunting these people down. That might do something to their reputation and save what there is still to be saved.

Personally I know many people who would not choose to visit a place that has questionable safety record. There might not be need for another Disneyland but relative safety could do wonders.

Thai apologists have three answers that address every possibility. Either

• "it never happens" (or has never happened to them), or
  • "it happens everywhere!, or
  • It's the foreigner's fault for <> (handy dropdown list at this point, just choose one or more from the following:
    1. having money or valuables on him;
    2. just being in Thailand;
    3. expecting decent, aka western, standards of behavior or ethics;
    4. rejecting indecent advances;
    5. defending oneself from assault; etc.).

(Remember now, if you don't like any of these things, and don't see victimization as a privilege, you should stay home or go somewhere else!)

None so blind ...

Edited by hawker9000