French train attack hero Spencer Stone 'repeatedly stabbed' in US

webfact

French train attack hero Spencer Stone 'repeatedly stabbed'

SACRAMENTO: -- France train attack hero Spencer Stone has been repeatedly stabbed in the US city of Sacramento.

American network NBC reported Stone was stabbed on Wednesday night.

US Air Force officials said the 23-year-old was in stable condition.

Stone and two friends overpowered a gunman on a high-speed train bound for Paris in August.

The men were quickly hailed as heroes. French President Francois Hollande awarded the country’s highest honour to the men who were presented the Legion of Honour.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-09

US airman who thwarted French train attack stabbed
By DON THOMPSON and JULIE WATSON

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Airman 1st Class Spencer Stone, celebrated as a hero for helping to stop a terror attack on a French train over the summer, was stabbed and seriously wounded outside a bar in his hometown early Thursday in what police said was an alcohol-related brawl.

Stone, 23, was knifed repeatedly in the upper body but was expected to survive, authorities said. He was taken to UC Davis Medical Center.

"This incident is not related to terrorism in any way," Deputy Police Chief Ken Bernard said. "We know it's not related to what occurred in France months ago."

A grainy surveillance video from a camera outside a liquor store showed a man who appeared to be Stone fighting with several people at an intersection. The group spilled into the street as people took swings at each other, and one person got knocked down.

Police said two assailants fled in a car. No immediate arrests were made.

Bernard said Stone was out with four friends when they got into a fight with another group of people. The deputy chief would not say what sparked the argument. He said there was no evidence the assailants knew who Stone was.

Bernard said he did not know whether Stone was drinking, but others in his group were.

In a statement, the hospital said Stone's family "appreciates the outpouring of love and support" and requests privacy.

In August, Stone and two of his childhood friends from Sacramento, National Guardsman Alek Skarlatos and college student Anthony Sadler, were vacationing in Europe when they sprang into action aboard a Paris-bound passenger train and tackled Ayoub El-Khazzani, a man with ties to radical Islam. He had boarded the train with a Kalashnikov rifle, a pistol and a box cutter.

Stone, who is assigned to Travis Air Force Base in California, suffered a severely cut thumb and a knife wound to his neck during the struggle with the gunman.

President Barack Obama met with the three Americans last month, praising them for their quick thinking and courage and calling them "the very best of America." They were also awarded France's highest honor by President Francois Hollande. The three appeared on late-night talk shows and received a parade in their hometown.

Stone is the second of the three Americans to be shaken by violence at home since their return.

Last week, Skarlatos left rehearsals for TV's "Dancing With the Stars" to rush back to his hometown of Roseburg, Oregon, after a gunman killed nine people at the community college that Skarlatos attends.

"It's honestly the strangest emotion I ever felt," Skarlatos said in a taped segment that aired on the show Monday. "Even the train made more sense than this does. ... There's nothing you can do."

The stabbing happened in a busy area of central Sacramento ringed with bars and restaurants that is a popular nightlife destination for young adults and is generally considered safe.

Skarlatos tweeted Thursday: "Everybody send prayers out to the Stone family today."
_____

Associated Press writer Juliet Williams in Sacramento contributed to this report. Watson contributed from San Diego.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-10-09

US airman who thwarted French train attack stabbed

By DON THOMPSON and JULIE WATSON

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Airman 1st Class Spencer Stone, celebrated as a hero for helping to stop a terror attack on a French train over the summer, was stabbed and seriously wounded outside a bar in his hometown early Thursday in what police said was an alcohol-related brawl.

Stone, 23, was knifed repeatedly in the upper body but was expected to survive, authorities said. He was taken to UC Davis Medical Center.

"This incident is not related to terrorism in any way," Deputy Police Chief Ken Bernard said. "We know it's not related to what occurred in France months ago."

A grainy surveillance video from a camera outside a liquor store showed a man who appeared to be Stone fighting with several people at an intersection. The group spilled into the street as people took swings at each other, and one person got knocked down.

Bernard said Stone was out with four friends when they got into a fight with another group of people. The deputy chief would not say what sparked the argument. He said there was no evidence the assailants knew who Stone was.

Bernard said he did not know whether Stone was drinking, but others in his group were.

In a statement, the hospital said Stone's family "appreciates the outpouring of love and support" and requests privacy.

In August, Stone and two of his childhood friends from Sacramento, National Guardsman Alek Skarlatos and college student Anthony Sadler, were vacationing in Europe when they sprang into action aboard a Paris-bound passenger train and tackled Ayoub El-Khazzani, a man with ties to radical Islam. He had boarded the train with a Kalashnikov rifle, a pistol and a box cutter.

Stone, who is assigned to Travis Air Force Base in California, suffered a severely cut thumb and a knife wound to his neck during the struggle with the gunman.

President Barack Obama met with the three Americans last month, praising them for their quick thinking and courage and calling them "the very best of America." They were also awarded France's highest honor by President Francois Hollande. The three appeared on late-night talk shows and received a parade in their hometown.

Stone is the second of the three Americans to be shaken by violence at home since their return.

Last week, Skarlatos left rehearsals for TV's "Dancing With the Stars" to rush back to his hometown of Roseburg, Oregon, after a gunman killed nine people at the community college that Skarlatos attends.

"It's honestly the strangest emotion I ever felt," Skarlatos said in a taped segment that aired on the show Monday. "Even the train made more sense than this does. ... There's nothing you can do."

The stabbing happened in a busy area of central Sacramento ringed with bars and restaurants that is a popular nightlife destination for young adults and is generally considered safe.

Skarlatos tweeted Thursday: "Everybody send prayers out to the Stone family today."

_____

Associated Press writer Juliet Williams in Sacramento contributed to this report. Watson contributed from San Diego.

aplogo.jpg

-- (c) Associated Press 2015-10-09

Knowing Sacramento, as I do, no arrests will ever be made.

In the US to make a wrong turn can just place you in a dangerous spot.

When I moved to San Jose in California in the 90s, I visited Palo Alto. A very expensive and classy area of the city with most houses over a couple million dollars, the Stanford University, and very famous residents. That was Palo Alto, but on the west side of the freeway. In the other side, just crossing a small bridge over the road, was Palo Alto East, a real ghetto, and considered one of the most dangerous areas in the country. Full of dilapidated houses and streets. I got there for mistake, and had very scary moments...just looking around.

Police was posted in the west side of the bridge monitoring who was crossing it. A real border...and a reality that most Americans do not know...or do not want to talk about. You can be at the wrong place....at the wrong time, very easily in the US.

Edited by Muzarella

When I moved to San Jose in California in the 90s, I visited Palo Alto. A very expensive and classy area of the city with most houses over a couple million dollars, the Stanford University, and very famous residents. That was Palo Alto, but on the west side of the freeway. In the other side, just crossing a small bridge over the road, was Palo Alto East, a real ghetto, and considered one of the most dangerous areas in the country. Full of dilapidated houses and streets. I got there for mistake, and had very scary moments...just looking around.

Police was posted in the west side of the bridge monitoring who was crossing it. A real border...and a reality that most Americans do not know...or do not want to talk about. You can be at the wrong place....at the wrong time, very easily in the US.

LOL...yeah, East Palo Alto is a real hole. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

GPS is great for avoiding those situations.

GPS is great for avoiding those situations.

Moving to another country is even better.

In NYC, you have Jamaica Estate (multi-million dollar houses, professionals, great neighborhood) right next to Jamaica (ghetto, hood rats, crime). Please don't confuse the two.

There is actually more to this war zone on the west side of 101, to the north. There are places with strange designations, such "unincorporated area of Menlo Park" and such. I had no idea these areas were even there until I was house hunting app. 20 years ago. And these places are within a mile or two of Atherton, probably one of the most expensive residential areas in the country.

I used to go to the Mexican markets in southern part of Redwood City until one time, when I parked on a side street, a bunch of local lads were giving me the "what the flock are you doing here?" eyeball. So much for that.

As for Sacramento: one time I went camping in Yosemite and had to hitch-hike back to SF. (This was in the 1970s, when hitch-hiking wasn't so strange). Well, I didn't make it, and got stuck in Sacramento after midnight so I headed to the bus station. Had to wait a few hours, took a walk around the block to kill time, saw a young gal peddling herself. Later when the bus was boarding that same gal was on the bus. I always kept that as an example of how far people are willing to go to get out of that town. bah.gif