Dual-pricing in Thailand: Is it time to do away with the ‘farang tax’?

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Natural history museum in London etc. free to all, including tourists

Thats because the British got the contents free by stealing it from other countries. My tax paid for Buckingham Palace. So why cant I get in there free?

You need to climb over the back wall thumbsup.gif

Thats because the British got the contents free by stealing it from other countries. My tax paid for Buckingham Palace. So why cant I get in there free?

haha ill try it. Worked for some right?

Your tax receipts must go back quite a while, if you think you paid for Buck House!

Your tax receipts must go back quite a while, if you think you paid for Buck House!

Ooppps should have said help pay for. I think I paid for the spoons. Thats about it. Maybe the forks. But really dont know why people moan about paying a few quid to go to these wonderful places in Thailand.

One way to lessen the outrage is to regard it as a 'Thai subsidy' rather than a 'farang tax'.

How many Thais would go to the parks and zoos and so on if they had to pay the outrageous sums we do?

I hear what you're saying, but I think 'slightly more' would be a better word than 'outragious'

It would be a good start. I know alot of friends who wont come back ever because they felt cheated and discriminated against. Nothing right about it and it sets the stage for nations rip of the visitor day....

Serious? What, did the 200 baht national park fee break their budget?

Hope they didn't go to Malaysia, Leos, Cambodia . . .

Never bothered me, more to worry about than a few dollars; as per post above, look at it as a discount to the Thai people

Your missing the point entirely. It's the IDEA of being overcharged because your a foreigner. You can't win friends (tourists) if your blatantly trying to take advantage them. You have a problem with police stopping foreigners for a few bucks. Doesn't look good for Thailand. In the US there is no such thing as a tourist tax.

Whatever I pay, I still think its cheap, try comparing to prices back home. If the UK government started to charge foreigners more than the its own citisens, would we complain?

A lot of the stuff I buy in Thailand is cheaper in UK.

Edited by MESmith

"foreigners arguing over 10 baht (30 cents) for a tuk-tuk journey, or shamefully bargaining at times on fixed-price goods such as eggs."

Shamefully? You jest.

Let me give you small lesson in economics: if farangs willing to pay more than going rate for product or service at least two things may happen: 1. price will go up for locals and 2. if no increase in supply, less will be available to locals. Just try getting Song taew from night market high season: all the drivers want "charter", none of this local price 10 baht pick up. Why do tourists spots always have higher prices? "Ah honey, so what if local price is 10 baht, we're on vacation.... give the man 50". And that becomes the expectation.

I started going to Bali in 82, visited every other year. I saw prices go way up and transport for locals go way down. We bargain for ourselves, for sure, but locals should thank us when we object to being over charged.

I was undercharged for 3 weeks at my local noodle shop as the owner increased his price with 5thb during my absence and he was too greng-jai telling me my "correct change" was actually 5 baht short. i only found out when i went there with thai friend who said the price increase was adverted on a banner but i can't read thai. biggrin.pngwai.gif

Certainly time to establish transparent pricing in ALL businesses catering to foreigners, including the night club in Phuket at which Australian tourists were attacked by feral scum 'guards' in some kind of bill dispute...the typical Thai affair of kicking people in the head when they are on the ground.

Didn't seem to get a mention on Thai Visa news but features very prominently on The Sydney Moring Herald website

Edited by Prbkk

if Thailand ever wants to be favorable for the EU or USA they better lose the whole term "farang" to begin with and treat all people the same.

i know what i wrote,is an open door for trolls ,let me reassure all trolls will be dealt with by the dragon

After living here for 12 years the falang thing wore a bit thin years ago.I am fed up up with Thais shouting hey "you falang" and start giggling like a bunch of school girls I just reply" alai moron" .Soon baffles them

....so why doesn't the author of the post and his colleagues organize a march across bangkok with signs and banners declaring what an outrage this is.

Why post about it here? Nothing will ever change unless someone steps outside of their "comfort zone" (or social media site) and does something about it. Submit a proposal to the czar or something....but to continue to yack about it here....pointless.

I agree with the position on the whole double pricing scam. ....from hosptials to national parks to the countless shop keepers who specifically target foreigners (not farangs) ....it is complete bulldogbuffaloshit.

can ya smell me.

successful

Driving licence has worked for me many times but I hear that it doesn't work everywhere.

I can vouch that is DOES NOT work at the "Kaeng Krachan National Park" about 60K west of Hua Hin. I was livid when I went there and they refused to consider my license when they knew damn well most other national parks do let you in at the Thai price.

The Grand Palace in Bangkok is the worst. They charge 400 baht for falang (or they did last time I went), irregardless of whether or not you have a Thai license and what is really irritating is Thais get in for free.

Whatever I pay, I still think its cheap, try comparing to prices back home. If the UK government started to charge foreigners more than the its own citisens, would we complain?

Yes I agree, but I just can't imagine a Thai buying pork pies or John Smiths bitter.

What annoys me is having my work permit and social security ID turned down. However, if I'd had my driving license with me all would have been fine. So the fact that I pay my taxes, employ 20+ Thai staff & give to Thai charities doesn't entitle me enjoy various places at local prices. Hmmmm.

I also really love restaurants, bars etc. not returning with my 20 or 30 baht change as they just presumed that I was going to offer it as a tip. Well I would have done and possibly more if they'd shown willing, but when this happens I just demand my money and leave, never to return.

And while we're on the subject of being short changed, try a convenience store. Buy something that has 50 satang tagged on it and see if you get the change. Doesn't happen so often these days but maybe because I've shouted at so many cashiers that the word has spread. It's absolutely nothing to do with the amount, just the principle. Lost count of how many times I've been called a Keeniow for my ranting, but so be it.

Would be good to see, all tourist tax, taken away from Spain, Italy, Greece as well, high season sting...............

I lived in Greece for a number of years and yes in the high season the price goes up but it goes up for everybody in the vast majority of places. Some do try to add on prices for tourists but not many

oh my Buddha, this topic again, the playground for racist and discrimination farang fanatic.

The thread about the American would like to be crook run just dead after more than 300 posts.

Dual pricing, you don't like it, don't do it, leave the country, the next plane is waiting for you.

And look at the tourism growth in Thailand over the last years, can you see an impact of dual pricing?

Market forces would correct this system, but obviously, tourists accept it.

And expats, living here because of low living costs are obviously not fit for their country.

....so why doesn't the author of the post and his colleagues organize a march across bangkok with signs and banners declaring what an outrage this is.

Why post about it here? Nothing will ever change unless someone steps outside of their "comfort zone" (or social media site) and does something about it. Submit a proposal to the czar or something....but to continue to yack about it here....pointless.

I agree with the position on the whole double pricing scam. ....from hosptials to national parks to the countless shop keepers who specifically target foreigners (not farangs) ....it is complete bulldogbuffaloshit.

can ya smell me.

successful

Gatherings of more than 4 people are illegal.

OB

Dual pricing certainly exists but... Keep in mind there are a lot of misunderstandings too. Guy I met at local market was frustrated a merchant asked 40THB for a chopped pineapple whereas he was used to pay 25... What he didn't take into account was the fact that these were different types of pineapples. Same with bananas, mangos, durian, etc. Different types, different prices. I can't speak for touristy places where I hear things are terrible.

Yes I agree, but I just can't imagine a Thai buying pork pies or John Smiths bitter.

I'm not talking about items that only foreigners buy thumbsup.gif

Would be good to see, all tourist tax, taken away from Spain, Italy, Greece as well, high season sting...............

I lived in Greece for a number of years and yes in the high season the price goes up but it goes up for everybody in the vast majority of places. Some do try to add on prices for tourists but not many
I have been in pubs in Whitby that charges more to UK citisens than their own regulars.