Bringing Food Into Thailand

Brewster67

Hi.

I am going to the UK soon and am planning on bringing back a few items of food, enough to last me a year back in LOS. I want to bring back about 5KGs of various cheeses and about 20 cans of tinned meats

If I get stopped at customs, am I likely to be hit with import duty even though this is solely for my wn consumption?

No biggy if I do, I think it is 60% duty, not the end of the world, but obviously I would rather not have pay.

Thanks in advance.

Have everytime 20-25 kg food in my suitcase when i do the europe tour. Was not checked or stopped once in 25 years. It's a very good bet.

I have seen them stop everyone and XRay the suitcase.....My guess is, if your airplane lands at the same time as an airplane from China.

Every single visitor from Europe that I know/meet has some food stuff in the suitcase tongue.png

Very unlikely that you be checked/get in trouble.

No tolerance with tobacco/cigarettes and alcohol over the limit. Drastic punishment.

Have a bag with some allowed duty free products, show them on request and they be happy.

Whilst working rotation I bring back goods ranging from steaks,smoked back bacon,sausages,packets of ham and the like.

Never an issue,if they pulled me it wouldn't be the end of the world I would happily let them stick it in the bin if they felt the need,I would of course Wai them frantically declaring my undying love for Farang food first.

I'm sure they'd understand especially as eating is a national pastime.

Edited by stoneyboy

I have seen them stop everyone and XRay the suitcase.....My guess is, if your airplane lands at the same time as an airplane from China.

They're not really looking for tins of Spam, though, are they?

I guess not....but it is not that they never check. I guess cigarettes and Alcohol is their target. For narcotics they have Inspector Wuff.

I guess not....but it is not that they never check. I guess cigarettes and Alcohol is their target. For narcotics they have Inspector Wuff.

Never seen a sniffer dog at Swampy in 15 years of travel.

I saw someone walk with them (over my extended waiting time, about 10 dogs), so I guess they sniff in the back, before the transport belt. But that is only my theory.....

It would also fix the problem that some people find dogs disgusting.

They won't check at customs, you'd have to wake them up first and that's dam near impossible.

They XRay my bag....than they wanted to look inside and asked me polite. I told them yes if the like to dig into my used underwear they are allowed. And there was used underwear on top of everything.....

The visual check and digging into it was about 10 seconds and the girl looked very uncomfortable....

On my first trip to Thailand back in 2004, I brought some stuff in my carry-on bag, that in retrospect was nuts. Two glass quart jars of pickled eggs! Imagine if they had broke open! A jar of pickled onions. A big bottle of brand-name Catsup. My buddy used to bring large magnums of wine. You know, I don't recall the entry declaration card asking much about food stuff.

I saw someone walk with them (over my extended waiting time, about 10 dogs), so I guess they sniff in the back, before the transport belt. But that is only my theory.....

It would also fix the problem that some people find dogs disgusting.

I believe you...just never seen any myself. Unlike at baggage claim at SFO...a little Jack Russel terrier is there sniff me every time I pick up my bags smile.png

I spent the night in Suvarnabhumi (2014) with a bloke from Alaska who'd just been stung for a big box of salmon he'd caught on a trip home. He did, though, say that was the first time he had ever been asked for money.

[As an aside, they stopped me taking canned fish out of the country. My "Poum chawp plaaa, mai chawp Etihad a-han" resulted in a raised eyebrow and a dimple smile - "Yeah , patronise me some more, white boy!"]

Whilst working rotation I bring back goods ranging from steaks,smoked back bacon,sausages,packets of ham and the like.

Never an issue,if they pulled me it wouldn't be the end of the world I would happily let them stick it in the bin if they felt the need,I would of course Wai them frantically declaring my undying love for Farang food first.

I'm sure they'd understand especially as eating is a national pastime.

don't all that meat go bad after all those hours?

Tried to declare a 2 litre bottle of whisky a couple of years ago. Was basically told to stop bothering them and go through the green channel.

Just don't try it if you go to Australia; you're likely to be banged up or fined.

Yeah they're tough down there...I watch Australian Border Patrol...those officers are real pricks!

Not right at all, if you declare it you won't get fined or banged up. If you declare you have meat products they will not let you take them in, but no fine or any problem whatsoever if you declare it. If you lie on your form then you're in trouble.

Just make sure you get your cheeses into a cool place quickly. You don't want the oil to start separating out (Personal experience).

I don't recall any declaration of food-stuffs entering Thailand. Having so many land border crossings, quarantining food is pointless, unlike NZ and Australia, which are islands and have agriculture to protect from imported diseases.

When did spam become food ?

Come on mate want about spam fritters I am getting hungry just thinking about them

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'll never forget seeing one of the old Soviet T34 tank crew getting interviewed about the winter war, and saying that the American supplies were given to the frontlne troops. He came over all wistful - "Wow, that American Spam really hit the spot. A fifth of a litre of vodka and a tin of spam really set you up". So, at -40C in a steel box Spam becomes food.

Just don't try it if you go to Australia; you're likely to be banged up or fined.

Yeah they're tough down there...I watch Australian Border Patrol...those officers are real pricks!

They are Pricks are they ? Do you know what you are talking about? So you let all people

coming from Asia mostly, whit all there undeclared food Items and destroy a beautiful like OZ

you are an astterhhfjk to put it mildly

Come on mate want about spam fritters I am getting hungry just thinking about them

Perhaps you need to have been fed by the dinner-ladies, at a British 'skul' in the '60s or '70s, to appreciate the delicacy of battered deep-fried spam & chips ? rolleyes.gif

I suggested them to my local chippy in Kent, he (being Indian) thought it odd, but tried it on the menu and found that they're still popular ! laugh.png

I believe that those frightfully-amusing Monty-Python chappies also had something to say on the subject ?

But in response to the OP, I don't think there would be any problem at Customs, based on personal experience.

They are Pricks are they ? Do you know what you are talking about? So you let all people

coming from Asia mostly, whit all there undeclared food Items and destroy a beautiful like OZ

you are an astterhhfjk to put it mildly

Just curious, what's an "astterhhfjk?"?

I'll never forget seeing one of the old Soviet T34 tank crew getting interviewed about the winter war, and saying that the American supplies were given to the frontlne troops. He came over all wistful - "Wow, that American Spam really hit the spot. A fifth of a litre of vodka and a tin of spam really set you up". So, at -40C in a steel box Spam becomes food.

It's considered a delicacy in Korea...I guess from fond memories of the Korean War days.

Perhaps you need to have been fed by the dinner-ladies, at a British 'skul' in the '60s or '70s, to appreciate the delicacy of battered deep-fried spam & chips ? rolleyes.gif

I suggested them to my local chippy in Kent, he (being Indian) thought it odd, but tried it on the menu and found that they're still popular ! laugh.png

I believe that those frightfully-amusing Monty-Python chappies also had something to say on the subject ?

But in response to the OP, I don't think there would be any problem at Customs, based on personal experience.

Actually I never had them at school but I had them from the chipy a couple of times

And now you can buy them already made

I can't believe I never actually seen that clip before but I remember people singing it very funny

Any restaurant owners in the Pattaya area start doing spam fritters and u have at least one customer for life