Its that time again Best Christmas Lunch Venue

ChangMaiSausage

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure of the name, the place is near to San Phranet San Sai District, next to Home Sukkapan.

Our friends own the place so we thought it would be more relaxed there than in a hotel.

A Lao restaurant on a highway out of town.. It's hard to imagine a less Christmassy location. wink.png

(Not saying that's bad, of course)

Very true, one to not forget

The decision was made after several discussions, we are a large group so the banter should not be a problem, it has a large grassed area at the back so the children can be outside if they wish. Hopefully it wont be too busy so we should not disturb too many people and I enjoy the food which is a bonus biggrin.png the people who are on vacation with us have rented two mini buses that will ship us off the after meal to another venue.

I remember previously Christmas day is a quiet affair nothing really happens (maybe this was just where I went) any decent recommendations for the evening?

Hideaway Restaurant/Cafe off Hang Dong Rd.Still the same friendly owner and staff.Easy parking,lovely garden setting for this time of the year.

Traditional Christmas fare.I guess the menu is on their fb page or web site.Why people want to pay 1,000's of baht at a Hotel buffet is beyond me but each

to his own.

Thank you Sparkles, I looked at their FB page but they haven't updated it since last Christmas - the price last year was unbelievable at 490 Baht, but I expect it will have to go up a lot this year if they're going to serve turkey! I know the Hideaway - its the Art Cafe people, I used t buy cheese from them. Constructive contribution amongst the dross though, thank you!

Hideaway Restaurant/Cafe off Hang Dong Rd.Still the same friendly owner and staff.Easy parking,lovely garden setting for this time of the year.

Traditional Christmas fare.I guess the menu is on their fb page or web site.Why people want to pay 1,000's of baht at a Hotel buffet is beyond me but each

to his own.

Thank you Sparkles, I looked at their FB page but they haven't updated it since last Christmas - the price last year was unbelievable at 490 Baht, but I expect it will have to go up a lot this year if they're going to serve turkey! I know the Hideaway - its the Art Cafe people, I used t buy cheese from them. Constructive contribution amongst the dross though, thank you!
We were there the other day for lunch and I meant to ask.If I can find out will post. 2 years ago, 3 courses, 490 baht,more than enough for me.The baked ham was suberb ,turkey has never done much for me.

Having spent 8 years of my life preparing up to 150 turkey dinners for others, I didn't want to see another turkey, so last year mrs Millwall_fan and I went to Mho-o-Cha in the Anusarn for a seafood lunch and then to O'Malley's for a few pints.

I'm trying to decide what to do this year and if you grumps who derailed the thread last month will allow it to restart now we are well into November, what are the options? I like a midday/1pm start with some food and a few beverages then amble round CM pooping into whichever hostelries we choose, enjoying Christmas Day to the full.

Now will that be possible this year or will my choice of venue be forced to call last orders at 2pm? what is the current information? Also does anyone know if any establishments offering traditional Christmas dinners or buffets, have yet posted their cost, timings and bill of fayre?

I like to plan these things in advance - when we had our pub I took bookings from September onwards!

We'll probably book into Why Not? again this year as last year was superb. All you can eat Italian buffet.

Wherever you go, just try not to throw the seats everywhere - I know what you Millwall lot are like!

Edited by JaseTheBass

Having spent 8 years of my life preparing up to 150 turkey dinners for others, I didn't want to see another turkey, so last year mrs Millwall_fan and I went to Mho-o-Cha in the Anusarn for a seafood lunch and then to O'Malley's for a few pints.

I'm trying to decide what to do this year and if you grumps who derailed the thread last month will allow it to restart now we are well into November, what are the options? I like a midday/1pm start with some food and a few beverages then amble round CM pooping into whichever hostelries we choose, enjoying Christmas Day to the full.

Now will that be possible this year or will my choice of venue be forced to call last orders at 2pm? what is the current information? Also does anyone know if any establishments offering traditional Christmas dinners or buffets, have yet posted their cost, timings and bill of fayre?

I like to plan these things in advance - when we had our pub I took bookings from September onwards!

We'll probably book into Why Not? again this year as last year was superb. All you can eat Italian buffet.

Wherever you go, just try not to throw the seats everywhere - I know what you Millwall lot are like!

I've looked their website - nothing about Christmas posted yet. As for Millwall FC, we are no more likely to start a ruck than any other clubs supporters - its a reputation we've picked up! Honest guv!

• 2 weeks later...

It will be like most years, the venues are awaiting someone else setting a standard on price and then the the lack of turkey , ham, duck, prime rib, etc can be brought up as justification of price increase from last year. A menu will then be published with price set by serving, buffet line, family style, including doggie bag, etc.

Wonder who will set a target for others to shoot at, first.

The "T BAR" Udonthani is usually a good venue for a traditional Christmas dinner in good Farang company! Hosted by "Steve"

Let's all drive to Udon from Chiang Mai for Christmas lunch!

Bloomin' geeneous...

Posted in error,corrected before I read your genius post!

The UK produces turkeys in case anyone wants to start a turkey importation business.

We went to Why Not for their Christmas buffet last year. It was superb and not a scrap of turkey anywhere.

Most assuredly will not be there. I love the stuffing.

Starting to look like their will be a shortage of turkeys this year.

The UK produces turkeys in case anyone wants to start a turkey importation business.

We went to Why Not for their Christmas buffet last year. It was superb and not a scrap of turkey anywhere.

Most assuredly will not be there. I love the stuffing.

Starting to look like their will be a shortage of turkeys this year.

And there really wasn't any need.

Just good old fashioned incompetence.

So.... where are we on this, any hotels posted their menus/prices yet?

If you get Steve Yarnold's newsletter, there are several tempting choices listed - mainly at the higher price end so far. If aren't on his mailing list, David, and you don't know him (the photographer chappie who attends most farang events in CM), let me know and I'll email him and ask him to add you.

Hopefully more ideas will come up on this thread as people spot good ideas/competitive prices around town. At the moment I'm tempted by a booze-inclusive buffet, but that could change!!

Steve's newsletter has lots of ideas for Christmas Day. It really is a mine of information: Here are a few I like the look of:

Christmas Day at Le Crystal Restaurant – lunch 3 course set menu with complimentary beverage including gift 1500THB net per person / Dinner 5 course set menu presenting roast turkey and traditional accompaniment with complimentary beverage 2800THB net per person

Holiday Inn Christmas Day Lunch THB 1,799 per person, 11.30am-2.30 pm // Christmas Day Dinner THB 1,999 per person, 6.30-10.30 pm

DusitD2 - christmas buffet lunch dusitD2 salad bar and appetizers, dim sum selections, sushi & sashimi, roasted beef smoked salmon station, kaowsoi turkey station and mouthwatering yuletide desserts. moxie & mixbar at dusitD2 chiang mai From noon – 15.00 hrs. thb 1,680 net / adults (food only)50% discount for children ages 4 – 11 years Children ages 3 and below Eat for free.

The Pub lunch/dinner will be on offer on the 25th with a traditional 3 course meal at 1,099 baht booking is essential with a deposit of 200 baht per person.

David’s Kitchen 1500THB(net) per person Amuse Bouche, Starters include Classic Caesar Salad and Parmesan Shaving served with Pan-seared White Prawns OR Wild Mushroom Cream Soup with Croustillant Girolle and White Truffle Foam OR Veloute of Yellow Japanese Pumpkin Soup and White Truffle Foam with Croutons, Santa Sorbet, Main courses include Traditional roasted young turkey served with bread stuffing and brussel sprouts, giblet sauce and cranberry sauce OR beef bourguignon classic French beef stew and Paris mashed OR slow baked fillet of Tasmanian Salmon, seasonal vegetable and white wine sauce. Dessert Christmas Pudding with Vanilla sauce, Coffee or tea.

The Dukes Mae Ping Branch Roast Turkey (if available) Roast Prime Rib Aujus, German BBQ Honey Ham, salmon with lemon butter, king prawns and parker house rolls, Italian sausage stuffed shells with Marinara / deserts include Pumpkin pie apple pie chocolate mousse blueberry cheesecake mini flan white chocolate cake with strawberries and cream etc etc 2pm till 9.30pm 1300THB / 800THB child plus 7% VAT.

Yummy Pizza starting at 12pm. Turkey 750B, Ham 650B. Assorted bruschetta Crème of potato & bacon soup. Roast turkey or honey mustard glazed ham served with Savory stuffing, Chipolata with smoked bacon, Mashed potatoes, Brussel sprouts, Caramelized carrots, broccoli, red cabbage. Cranberry,apple sauce, gravy. Or Hot smoked salmon with dill butter sauce served with butter potato & asparagus Christmas pudding with brandy sauce or Tiramisu cake

The Restaurant Anantara Resort from 1.00 pm – 4.00 pm A jazz band and carol singers. Little ones enjoy a children’s buffet and receive gifts from Santa and Santarina. THB 2,600++ per person including free flow sparkling wine, house wine, local beer, juices and soft drinks THB 1,300++ per child aged 4 – 11 years Complimentary for children aged 3 years and under.

Duangtawan Hotel international Buffet Lunch featuring Christmas favorite, traditional desserts and free flow of fruit shake. Price: THB 590 net per adult and THB 290 net per child under 12 years old. From 11.30 to 14.30 hrs. at Tawan Restaurant, on the 2nd floor

There are more on Steve's list, but the above are the ones I particularly like the look of!

Edited by millwall_fan