Lord Rose: Leaving EU 'not worth the risk'

webfact

Lord Rose: Leaving EU 'not worth the risk'

LONDON: -- The cross-party campaign for the UK to stay in the European Union is formally launching with the message that leaving is "not worth the risk".

Former M&S boss Lord Rose, chairman of the campaign, will brand those in favour of exit as "quitters".

He will announce the membership of the board of the new Britain Stronger in Europe group at the launch event.

Two separate campaigns, Vote Leave and Leave.EU, are pushing for an EU exit ahead of the referendum, before 2018.

The Britain Stronger in Europe board will include former chief of the general staff Sir Peter Wall, West Ham United vice-chairwoman Baroness Brady and television presenter June Sarpong.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-34502343

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-10-12

And such is the thought-process of those who wish to stay in.

No ambition, no vision of the future - just hide in your front room, keeping warm in front of a nice fire.

There is no future within the EU as it is presently constituted. And to 'change it from within' - there are 27 other countries (or thereabouts) wishing to change it to bring it closer to their ideas of how it should be run. Do you think all, or any, will be allowed to implement such changes? Only if you are a child believing in the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus and that you were found under a gooseberry bush.

A strong Britain trading with the world, in control of our own destiny and borders, with our own currency and our own laws, is the only way to have a future of prosperity and peace.

No ambition, no vision of the future - just hide in your front room, keeping warm in front of a nice fire.

There is no future within the EU as it is presently constituted. And to 'change it from within' - there are 27 other countries (or thereabouts) wishing to change it to bring it closer to their ideas of how it should be run. Do you think all, or any, will be allowed to implement such changes? Only if you are a child believing in the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus and that you were found under a gooseberry bush.

A strong Britain trading with the world, in control of our own destiny and borders, with our own currency and our own laws, is the only way to have a future of prosperity and peace.

The only way to change the EU is to destroy it and found it new. And that would only work with strong leaders with vision.

The EU as it was found with the rules it gave itself was great....just the opportunists changed everything.

The chances of that disappeared with the collapse of the empire. You can keep dreaming, but UK is just one of the many these days.

I agree with you. Quote Former M&S boss Lord Rose, chairman of the campaign, will brand those in favor of exit as "quitters". unquote. Already the " if your not with me your against me" crowd is starting up their verbal bombast. Great for Lord Rose to start tossing around slurs but at second blush I am sure he has irons in the EU fire that few are aware of. Usually this type have their own axe to grind for personal financial gain.

Edited by elgordo38

'Former M&S boss Lord Rose, chairman of the campaign, will brand those in favour of exit as "quitters".' Given we're approaching a half-century as a member of this club, during which time it has evolved from the original concept of a trading bloc into a political satire, but always with politicians - particularly French - and bureaucrats at its centre, the time for quitting has long been and gone. If the result of the referendum is an exit, there will be no way it could be described as quitting.

The chances of that disappeared with the collapse of the empire. You can keep dreaming, but UK is just one of the many these days.

UK is one of the wealthiest countries in World with steadily increasing growth, it has one of the Worlds most traded currencies and London is arguably the financial trading capital of Europe. Over 70% of the UK population are home owners and the property market is now rising again. Unemployment is falling and the deficit has been dramatically.

So, it is not one of many these days. It has suffered from the economic downturn like everyone else. I can't stand people who paint a picture "Oh the world as we knew it is over, all the old wealthy countries will be starving next year",, blah, blah, blah,, scaremongers who like to tell bleak stories cause it gives them a thrill.

Utter rubbish and founded on nothing more then your poorly internet assembled opinion.

I see the world as balancing. More wealth to the previous poorer countries with huge populations such as China, so yes difficult political times but by no means are all of the British people going to suddenly starve, or the Germans, or the French.

For the EU I dont know what is right yet, need to understand each side more. But I do know Europe needs a complete rethink in how it operates with 1 common purpose rather then what looks like a power struggle with Germany bullying everyone around.

UK is one of the wealthiest countries in World with steadily increasing growth, it has one of the Worlds most traded currencies and London is arguably the financial trading capital of Europe. Over 70% of the UK population are home owners and the property market is now rising again. Unemployment is falling and the deficit has been dramatically.

So, it is not one of many these days. It has suffered from the economic downturn like everyone else. I can't stand people who paint a picture "Oh the world as we knew it is over, all the old wealthy countries will be starving next year",, blah, blah, blah,, scaremongers who like to tell bleak stories cause it gives them a thrill.

Utter rubbish and founded on nothing more then your poorly internet assembled opinion.

I see the world as balancing. More wealth to the previous poorer countries with huge populations such as China, so yes difficult political times but by no means are all of the British people going to suddenly starve, or the Germans, or the French.

For the EU I dont know what is right yet, need to understand each side more. But I do know Europe needs a complete rethink in how it operates with 1 common purpose rather then what looks like a power struggle with Germany bullying everyone around.

Looks like my opinion differs from yours. No need for insults though.

It was in 1974 that I voted 'yes' for what was known as the Common Market. I did not vote for a united states of Europe nor did I vote for Brussels over ruling UK elected parliament on about everything. Had I known at the time what would happen I would have voted 'no' - but we were lied to. EU is one big fiddle primarily for those who work for it - on the most ridiculous salaries & expense accounts, mostly for 'non' jobs. I sincerely hope a referendum will result in an 'out' vote

I am not an uncritical supporter of Farage, but the expressions on the faces of Merkel and Hollande are priceless in this short clip as he lets them have it with both barrels.

Thanks for posting this. I'm not particularly a Farage supporter as such. But he got a lot of this right.

Germany wants control and dominance of Europe. They weren't able to achieve that in two World Wars. No they see that it can be achieved through a Federal EU with much more centralized government under German patronage.

France, under the leftist Hollande, will get well shafted. Some of the Eastern former communist countries can see this but do not have enough muscle or wealth to stand up to German bullying.

Merkel caused the migrant crisis with her "all welcome, the door is open" announcement, then made it worse by slamming the door shut. Yet still she argues, more centralizes EU government would have made it better. Yes, because from the German view, they would have decided how many other countries must accept.

The EU is looking like imploding or it will become a Europe full of Moslem migrants who turn it into a state reminiscent of their homelands.

Pathetic excuse from a business man like Rose : as a senior industry leader, he'll have taken entrepreneurial risks all his life. No reason to be "afraid of the unknown".

LET'S NOT MINCE WORDS,"not worth the risk" ARE THE WORDS OF A MAN WITH NO GUTS!

Farage is the man of the future.

A strong Britaincheesy.gif

No offence intended, I just think you are very poorly informed.

It was in 1974 that I voted 'yes' for what was known as the Common Market. I did not vote for a united states of Europe nor did I vote for Brussels over ruling UK elected parliament on about everything. Had I known at the time what would happen I would have voted 'no' - but we were lied to. EU is one big fiddle primarily for those who work for it - on the most ridiculous salaries & expense accounts, mostly for 'non' jobs. I sincerely hope a referendum will result in an 'out' vote

I might very well be in agreement with you on this one.. I just dont want those "far-right" parties jumping on the bandwagon and telling everyone is it all the foreigners fault.

At times of insecurity these people can become dangerous, whereas in prosperous times no one pays attention to them. At the end of the day everyone looks to blame someone.

I hope that Europe does eventually find a way that makes sense, cause right now this so called EU simply means Germany tells other members what is ok and what is not ok. Very poor scenario indeed.

Interesting times but I have faith that the UK will make the right decision. In fact, maybe coming out of the EU will give the politicians the power to do what the people want. I do know the EU will be much weaker without the UK so there will be fight for sure..

No offence intended, I just think you are very poorly informed.

Well informed but unbiased.