Four injured in car plunge from Union Mall’s carpark in Bangkok

webfact

When all the dust and debris settles on this episode, I suspect it will be determined that the "escalator" on the woman's car was haunted by a ghost.

And it was a ghost that put its ghostly foot on the "escalator," causing the car to "escalate" right off the upper level of the parking structure. tongue.png

maybe when she bought it she forget to let the monks give it a blessing.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another spectacular copy editing job. Perhaps the new acquiring group will see this in short order and make some changes for the better.

Thai Visa did not write the article, Thai PBS did, perhaps you can contact them and suggest they try to do a better job at editing prior to posting, you can contact them here: http://www2.thaipbs.or.th/contact.php

Done. I sent this: Can I ask why you do not employ a native English speaker to check your reports before you publish them. Very often they are very poorly written. Most responsible media organisations have an editor to check copy before it goes out and makes the company look silly. Why not PBS?

Think I'll get a reply before it snows in Bangkok at Christmas?

How difficult is it to turn the ignition key? Hit the brakes and push the clutch or put the automatic to "N"? Pull the handbrake?

Note to self: Don't buy a Mazda.

c'mon......surely youve seen them drive!

Another fine reporting Job by Thais cheesy.gif

Don't they get it that all the Farang that Speak and write English and come to this forum want real English not pigeon English .

But then its because they think they know how to report in English from the INTENSIVE English courses at University gigglem.gif

I assume you mean pidgin English.

Pigeon English is only spoken by birds. smile.png

Would you like some more stones for your glass house?

Trafalgar Square English.

I think you've all missed the 2 most important points with this one:

1. Did anyone notice that the place the car hit the ground was PAST the tollgate. This was just an attempt to avoid paying parking station fees.

and

2. Was the driver asked to pay her parking fees, or did she manage to get away without paying them.

(tongue in cheek) 55555555

Accelerator sticking on some vehicles has been known to happen in the past even in 1st world countries... Usually leads to a recall but maybe not in Thai...

And with more cars on the road, this problem will escalate whistling.gif

Let us hope the problem's escalator does not get stuck ! clap2.gif

I assume "escalator" is meant to be "accelerator".

Then write the word accelerator, this is taken from an English paper printed in Thailand, but the level of English is really bad, and like the other poster said when did a car have a head (maybe a head gasket)???

Oh the irony....

Complaining about incorrect word whilst using poor grammar.

How difficult is it to turn the ignition key? Hit the brakes and push the clutch or put the automatic to "N"? Pull the handbrake?

Hang on. Are your forgetting you're in Thailand, they have trouble finding the indicator lever to signal where they're going, now you're asking them to multi task.

Accelerator sticking on some vehicles has been known to happen in the past even in 1st world countries... Usually leads to a recall but maybe not in Thai...

My own experience with the accelerator pedal stuck fully down was in a car over 20 years old, when the cable to the carburator snapped. First thing I did was to turn off the ignition key and then coast the car to the side of the road.

In some instances, pedals may be stuck due to worn out rubber mats, or the wearing of high heels.

This same sort of accident recently happened at the Mall Bang Kapi and has happened many times in the past. If the accelerator was stuck (and its not inconceivable) the main blame for severity of this accident lies with the shoddy car park railings that offered very little protection when struck by a vehicle. This is typical of car parks here, but I have seen very unsafe railings/walls in other countries. I believe in Europe there are certain safety standards that have to be met for car park walls. I once crashed into the back of another car in a condo car park when my leg got a terrible cramp and forced the accelerator to the floor just when I had put it in drive. My insurance were not amused as the car had just come back from a major repair when it was sideswiped by a bus and then spining round and being hit head on by a pick-up. Ahhh how I love driving here. Actually I do and these minor problems can be encounted every day and ensure that you keep 100% care all times.

Edited by MiKT

Don't they get it that all the Farang that Speak and write English and come to this forum want real English not pigeon English .

But then its because they think they know how to report in English from the INTENSIVE English courses at University gigglem.gif

You really shouldn't have written that!

Pigeon English? Really?

I suspect you might have been referring to pidgin. There is pidgin English but there are also other pidgin languages. They are all a grammatically simplified means of communication that develops between two or more groups that do not have a language in common: typically, a mixture of simplified languages or a simplified primary language with other languages' elements included.

A good example is this, describing Prince Charles when he was visiting PNG. "nambawan pikinini bilong Misis Kwin"

Are you familiar with the expression, "pot calling the kettle black"?

The driver was a woman....

And Thai too !

The problem has been noticed, and some establishments have already introduced women only parking areas....

post-59640-0-12580300-1444657276_thumb.j

no its because they think they know more than farang and don't need any help from anyone. I wonder how many farang English speaking editors they have on staff for an English news paper ?

If England or America had a Thai paper you could rest assured they would hire proper Thai people to make sure it all made sense.

no its because they think they know more than farang and don't need any help from anyone. I wonder how many farang English speaking editors they have on staff for an English news paper ?

If England or America had a Thai paper you could rest assured they would hire proper Thai people to make sure it all made sense.

Even if they cost 8 times the price of a local? and work permit and visa issues were also required.

Don't think so.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Happy Grumpy

Another spectacular copy editing job. Perhaps the new acquiring group will see this in short order and make some changes for the better.

Thai Visa did not write the article, Thai PBS did, perhaps you can contact them and suggest they try to do a better job at editing prior to posting, you can contact them here: http://www2.thaipbs.or.th/contact.php

Or, since we are living in their country, we could stop with our colonial mentality and learn to read Thai. Now there's an idea!

Note to you: take the bus.

As if, in an emergency, anyone could reflexively do what you suggest...

For some I guess it is impossible.

I went to renew my Thai driving license and spent ages waiting for the woman in front of me to do an "emergency stop". The light changes from green to red and then you have to hit a pedal on the floor. She didn't react at all. I think it took her 6 attempts.

I can imagine the reporter graduated with honours from one of the universities that doesn't fail students.

Can accelerator pedals get stuck? I can imagine them not working, but getting stuck in a pressed down position sounds strange.

Anyway if, as she says , it got stuck before then she should have taken the car in to be looked at. That is a serious problem.

I wonder if she was driving in bare feet and her shoes got in the way of the brakes. I have seen so many women take their shoes off and leave on the floor in front of them.