Video highlighting dangers of cycling in Thailand goes viral

webfact

I know, no one is really interested in my opinion, but let me tell you this.

When people operate in groups and operate a special 'skill' these people seem to feel they are untouchable and preferably everybody get out of their way.

It is just now starting in Thailand, but has been trouble in for example Europe for years now.

These morons think they own the streets and race on any lane they like and the worst for them to happen is when or if they have to make a stop or get hindered in their head down-no scenery game, just speed.

That's why they don't use scenic lanes or frontage roads. Those are for suckers. read as all the others. Oh yes, they like the Samoeng Loop too, but better you are not there when you like a nice ride in the country. All you have to do then is watch out for these monkeys on bikes.

If you don't get out of the way they will least scream at you but rather scold you and mostly they spit around like there is noone there.

I grant everybody his or her hobby, but then again, don't bother other people.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What annoys me the most with cyclist is their tendency towards unmindful and disproportional command of space on the road. I was told (by authoritative figures)when I was young that proper and safe protocol for group riding should involve single file riding.I seldom ever see this practiced here...its sort of common sense, like wearing bright reflective colors at night...not black.....'might is right' in this part of the world...so please proceed with mindful caution.

Everything goes "viral" nowadays. Stuff that before the 'social media" would not even cause a stir. It seems people have too much time on their hands, or are easily shocked.

Maybe it's a "Oh sh!t, stuff like that happens while I'm looking at my phone and it's just around me and I never notice?!".

Kinda like "back then" when you got a spanking, took a walk in a forest, had your parents offer your seat to the eldery and other stuff...now you need to send a Failbook/Line message/post to get them to "open their eyes" to stuff. Therefore viral. But the best part about that is, people who got no random clue about the situation have the strongest opinions on the matter too...

Nothing wrong with cycling on highways, but those that indulge should at least keep inside the motorbike lane. I suspect this stupid bunch were taking advantage of proximity of nearby slipstreams. Personally think UK is more dangerous for cyclists. They're banned from motorways and most other roads are two lane and tiny.

Cyclists the world over think they own the road. A friend of mine hit & killed a cyclist years ago. The cyclist was on a major highway in Australia & was cycling like the ones on the video, he was passed by a fast moving truck & when the suction from the truck hit him it pulled into the front of my friends car who was behind the truck. The man died instantly. We all need to share the road & respect eachother. Cyclists move over to the left as the cars, trucks, busses & motorbikes are travelling faster than you.

It amazes me that the Government is concentrating it's efforts on bringing in some "public entertainers" for "education" about advertising alcohol. Sure, there should be features on local TV about the abuses of alcohol, but I think the Government's energies would be far better employed in improving road safety like, cyclists/motor cyclists wearing protective head gear, wearing high viz clothing, riding on the correct side of the road, making sure the road is clear when transiting from a side to major road, frequently using rear view mirrors, looking back before setting off so as not to impede the traffic, making sure all the lights work, particularly rear lights, ensuring under age children are not allowed to ride motor bikes on public roads, stopping motor cyclists riding with Mum, three kids, the dog on board..........please feel free to add to the list!

If i was driving my scooter that close to the lines in Chiang Mai i would have died long ago. If i drive my scooter down a road a some one in the other lane wants to pass they will come in you lane and you better be rididing near the outer edge of the road to avoid contact. These bikers truly have a death wish!