Indirect benefits of Thai Visa

lovelomsak

Before I came to Thailand I researched every thing myself not using Thaivisa finding it had to many posters of nonsense.

But sense living here and contributing regularly I have found benefits not only associated with Thailand but the life in general. There are many posters here with varied backgrounds and educations. These posters bring into the conversations info and insight. I have found for me that many times after a poster has contributed to something I know little about I research it now.My history knowledge,travel knowledge, financial,culture etc all have grown because after reading posts I search fro more about what posters said on a subject. They stimulate interest for me.

I was wondering do other Thai Visa members find they do the same?

some are like old ''Colonial School Teachers''..., but keep in mind the average age, is probably 60 plus...

Yes that's what I like about it. They seem well read and introduce many things i personaly have never had an interest in before until they bring it up in a topic then I research it and learn more. I research things now I never would have done without Thai Visa members bringing it up.

I think its more a case of having more time, when you are younger you are too busy earning a living, raising a family and in some cases raising hell, but when you get older, possibly retired, you have more time to appreciate things and more interest in finding things out too.

Thai Visa with its very ecclectic mix of people from all walks of life and wide variety of skills and backgrounds is a great resource for many things.

some are like old ''Colonial School Teachers''..., but keep in mind the average age, is probably 60 plus...

Yes that's what I like about it. They seem well read and introduce many things i personaly have never had an interest in before until they bring it up in a topic then I research it and learn more. I research things now I never would have done without Thai Visa members bringing it up.

From the time I first started frequenting bars (no longer do) many moons ago, I always preferred the company of the old guys rather than the young guys of my own age for the very reasons you talk about here. They had so many fascinating stories and experience of life to talk about that i would be enthralled listening to them....the young ones only blew out hot air.

I get the 'digest' email each day and always scan through it. Sometimes it takes almost no time, and sometimes it soaks up hours. Combine that with facebook drivel scouring for genuinely interesting stuff, then it's dark already (or maybe sunrise already). Where was I? Oh, I was going to do something useful today...

But seriously, it is a valuable service, I just think I need better filters on my time rather than being consumed following threads that don't actually make a difference to daily progress and the pursuit of happiness.

Maybe in a month or two I'll get around to closing some web browser tabs of things that I've marked as interesting. Or maybe I'll just close them anyway and get a life.

I arrived on a plane in Thailand many moons before joining Thai Visa. Took some snippets of information off the site through google searches, but that was it.

Got to the point where I didn't know if the locals attitude was down to myself or a broader general view. Was on the cusp of writing the place off.

I've been the length & breath of the country but learnt more about Thailand on Thai Visa with so many view points than pounding the streets in my own bubble.

Invoice is in the post Thai Visa.

In 1993 I asked a young computer scientist what he thought about the Internet. "The problem," he said, "is the signal to noise ratio."

That's pretty much how I feel about these forums.

Edited by BudRight

Ubon Joe is the best source of info for Visas and a huge asset to TV. After all its is Thai "visa" .com

You gota be kidding me.

Care to enlarge on that comment ?

You know very well I can't do that, but lets just say I have received my fair share of conflicting and confusing visa information.

Ubon Joe is the best source of info for Visas and a huge asset to TV. After all its is Thai "visa" .com

You gota be kidding me.

You know very well I can't do that, but lets just say I have received my fair share of conflicting and confusing visa information.

I would suggest that you are very much the exception.

Apart from the helpful responses on the forum, he has also been very patient in responding to direct PM's.

Isnt it incumbent on the individual to ensure any information or advice attained by a free source on an open internet forum is relevant and appropriate to their individual circumstances. If you dont then is it your fault or theirs ?

There is the old adage "you get what you pay for", well, you didnt pay anything so dont knock it. It was provided freely and with best intentions no doubt, due diligence comes to mind.

You gota be kidding me.

So, what's it feel like to be odd man out ?

I'd almost go so far as to say in a lot of instances Joe is more knowledgeable than most of the boffins in immigration offices.

Sadly the Halcyon days of TV are gone. It is now simply a money making corporation and the friendly banter is fast going. It is now getting swamped by ads and intrusive ones at that. Just hover over something for a micro second too long and you get hit.

The new owners seem to forget that if it wasn't for the posters posting they wouldn't have a site in the first place. I wonder what TV will be like next year and if there will still be one sad.png

TV may sometimes raise one's blood-pressure, but it also enables you to vent or rant, when you really feel the need to. rolleyes.gif

I first discovered it when researching my imminent move to live here, and it has been invaluable, members/posters have a lot of very useful information/experience to impart !

But it's perhaps duller than in days-of-yore, some of the more colourful characters have been weeded-out, pity in some ways. coffee1.gif

I think a few well earned compliments are needed ! Let us not forget the travel forums, all the useful information and personal experiences, advice on what to do and what not to do, this is one I use a lot. Then there is the health forum, which I have used once after a pretty traumatic experience. I was given a lot of help and advice and I deeply appreciated it, it also helped me psychologically as I didn't feel quite so alone. Of course the visa problems, so many of them , and concerning the tourist to the workers and expats. A quick answer when you might need it ! Fun and jokes bring a smile , and some people are crackers, but i for one are so glad that TV exists.

There is such a wide array of information on Thaivisa that it is an invaluable resource for sure. Half the time you google something about Thailand it leads to TV threads. Everybody has their better moments and worse moments but over all if it is related to Thailand if you can't find info here you just won't find it. Also if it doesn't already exist you can ask and most times receive very good answers to your questions.

The only way TV could ever go into decline is if the amount of foreigners living in or around Thailand were to also decline. Even so you would go to TV to get your news about that trend.