Replacement Credit Cards

For a variety of reasons, I use foreign (US) credit cards for travel etc within Thailand and Asia. I checked with the US bank that issues my cards and they will not mail the replacement cards to a foreign (Thai) address. Not a big deal as this only comes up every 5 years or so. I will just have a family member forward the card from the US.

But has anyone found a bank that that will mail cards to Thailand?

Even if they did, good chance they would change their policy on you.

I deal with a lot of U.S. financial institutions.

They change their rules quite a lot ... and it's always in the direction of making it harder for expats.

Edited by Jingthing

I've had new or replacement cards sent directly from Royal Bank, Canada, a couple of times now.... via DHL both times have arrived within a week... Packed in a yellow padded envelope.., and I just sign on arrival and confirm with the bank it has arrived, so they activate the card .... thumbsup.gif

I just call via Skype, always straightforward, once you answer the security questions ....

Sorry, I can't speak for US banks....

Following. I used my US forwarding address when I lived in Thailand to get new cards.

Alwsys afraid they would cut me off if they knew I lived here.

Me too.

I use Shipito, a US mailing company to get my cards. On custom declaration I put down paper and $1US, picked the cheapest method, less then US$4, arrived about two weeks , no custom charges, never had any problems.

Following. I used my US forwarding address when I lived in Thailand to get new cards.

Me too.

I use Shipito, a US mailing company to get my cards. On custom declaration I put down paper and $1US, picked the cheapest method, less then US$4, arrived about two weeks , no custom charges, never had any problems.

Why would there be customs charges on a replacement cc or ATM card anyway ? They have absolutely no commerical value ?

Me too.

Why would there be customs charges on a replacement cc or ATM card anyway ? They have absolutely no commerical value ?

Now I do not have to pay to receive economy airmail but I had to pay to receive DHL Express, which I chose once. I had no idea what I was paying for.

Economy airmail cost less than $4, DHL was $28.25 plus the post office/custom “extortion”.

I once requested Citibank to send my card to Thailand, the agent took my request and I painfully took time on the phone to make sure he got my Thai address right…but the card was send to my US address.

I had this issue with a credit card from Capital One but have not needed to replace my ATM/Debit cards from BofA & Chase yet...
I did something similar, had it mailed to a friend and then they forwarded it to me.

All my replacement cards get forwarded without a problem by the mail forwarder I use in the US. I definitely do not want to let any financial institution know that I am in Thailand if I can help it. There is no upside for me in being straightforward and a huge downside.