Shipping in personal items

Howiehotspur

Hi

My daughter has recently despatched 3 boxes weighing approx 20kg each and a set of golf clubs , to be sent to my addresss out here in pattaya .

I don't think there's any problem with how they are packaged etc , it's what's in them gives me concern.

Again nothing serious , but I think I'll have a customs issue because , she has clearly marked / listed that in the boxes are just clothes / plastic toys / shoes/ trainers ...

But also inside is an iPad , and some other minor' metal ' objects such a a bhudda , which weighs about 5-6 kg , 6" high . So I'm sure an X-ray will pick it up .. My question is because customs I assume will notice ' not as described ' .. They will open , hold , keep , delay , .. I'll never get to see etc ....

My daughter was told by the shipping agent , it will normally take 3-5 days , and possibly an extra 2-3 days in customs under normal circumstances.. ( he of course is unaware that my daughter forgot to mention those things ) it's inky been 3 days so far ... But after a phone call with her , I thought ....shit ?

Has anybody had any issues in receiving goods ?

Thanks in advance .

Based on some other posts, and the "General" calculation, there could be : estimated value x applicable import duty% + shipping cost + Insurance cost x Vat% = total

This will of course vary dependent on what, where and who processes it, like many things in Thailand it can be a lottery.

The Buddha items might give you some problems, the Ipad my guess is that you would have to pay tax on. Not sure about the golf clubs. Customs officers have the strangest ideas about what is luxury goods and what is not. Even bicycles they rate as luxury. My guess is that they will open the boxes and if the items don`t macth the packing list then there will be problems. They will always try to find an excuse to get Money.

You will be notified soon enough, with the news(bad?) and how to proceed.

Its a waiting game now to see how hard you get hit.

sounds bad , does that mean a possible fine , do you know of any previous examples that may give me an indication of what the possibilities are ?

I assume these boxes are being sent by courier ?

If you do not have a shipping agent in Thailand the courier will be in contact with you soon with the requested amount to have the goods released. Its a no win situation dealing with these people and they will also charge a per day fee for storage.

For most people who have no local shipping agent who can normally work a deal they end up informing the customs to keep the items due to the figure quoted to release the goods.

Receiving goods sent by courier to Thailand is a learning experience you will not forget.

sounds bad , does that mean a possible fine , do you know of any previous examples that may give me an indication of what the possibilities are ?

If you do not have a shipping agent in Thailand the courier will be in contact with you soon with the requested amount to have the goods released. Its a no win situation dealing with these people and they will also charge a per day fee for storage.

For most people who have no local shipping agent who can normally work a deal they end up informing the customs to keep the items due to the figure quoted to release the goods.

Receiving goods sent by courier to Thailand is a learning experience you will not forget.

thanks , yeah I'm not really sure .

All the goods are used of course ( not that that will make any difference it seems ) my daughter used a courier yes , I'm also hoping I do NOT have to go to Bangkok to collect , what are the ways of paying ? In cash only and being there to collect , or can this be arranged over the phone and still delivered to my address ... Am I looking at £100's ? Is that a real possibility ?

There are various ways it can be done, depends on the metod sent, usually if sent through the mail a card will be sent asking you to go to your local Post Office to pay & Collect.

Some couriers will also mail you with a notice and arrange for the parcel to be delivered and cash on delivery.

Depends on where you are in relation to where they are, my guess would be you will either get a knock at the door with a guy asking for X amount, or a notice with what to do next.

All the goods are used of course ( not that that will make any difference it seems ) my daughter used a courier yes , I'm also hoping I do NOT have to go to Bangkok to collect , what are the ways of paying ? In cash only and being there to collect , or can this be arranged over the phone and still delivered to my address ... Am I looking at £100's ? Is that a real possibility ?

60 kg's could be well over a couple of 100's in pounds

60 kg's could be well over a couple of 100's in pounds
damm !

Done that been there.

It's a nightmare.

CM custom at the airport.

I heard that the Junta makes them follow the book now a little better.

Unclear if true.

I am not sure regarding the items being all used as this should reduce the costs as opposed to new. These people have strange ways how they obtain the figures so you will need to wait till they contact you.

You will not have to go to Bangkok everything can be done by e-mail and telephone. Payment can be made to the account number they will give you.

You should have a tracking number when the goods were dispatched from the UK for that particular courier.

1. Enter the number on the courier website.

2. Give the courier in Bangkok a call and quote the tracking number

I am not sure regarding the items being all used as this should reduce the costs as opposed to new. These people have strange ways how they obtain the figures so you will need to wait till they contact you.

You will not have to go to Bangkok everything can be done by e-mail and telephone. Payment can be made to the account number they will give you.

You should have a tracking number when the goods were dispatched from the UK for that particular courier.

1. Enter the number on the courier website.

2. Give the courier in Bangkok a call and quote the tracking number

thanks ,

I called my daughter who sent the goods , and she told me " don't worry I'll sort it " from her end ( UK ) .

She has the tracking details etc ... I told her I think it's out of your hands now , but ( I think out of embarrassment for not labelling correctly) she thinks she can resolve it , saying that the all the import duty etc has been paid .... I'll leave it a few days then ask her for the tracking number , and call the guy who left me a message to call him on Monday ... As long as I don't have to go to BKK , and the cost is below 5-6000bht . I can swallow that ..... Fingers crossed

what has been posted over the past 5-6yrs.i am afraid you will be hit BIG TIME,and also one cost that can esculate is storage,they will say it has to be stored as we are so busy,60kilo's of falsely declared goods,you might need some sleeping tablets and some bp.tabs.

good luck.

Edited by meatboy

what has been posted over the past 5-6yrs.i am afraid you will be hit BIG TIME,and also one cost that can esculate is storage,they will say it has to be stored as we are so busy,60kilo's of falsely declared goods,you might need some sleeping tablets and some bp.tabs.

good luck.

. Oh dear ...

What do you call BIG TIME ? ... 20,000 plus ? , 50,000 plus ? ... What if I say , in that case throw away or keep it , as I say my golf clubs besides , its all used goods , the iPad is 4 years old .

I mean what happens if I'm not prepared to pay .. What are the options then ?

good luck.

. Oh dear ...

What do you call BIG TIME ? ... 20,000 plus ? , 50,000 plus ? ... What if I say , in that case throw away or keep it , as I say my golf clubs besides , its all used goods , the iPad is 4 years old .

well you should be aware anyone with a uniform on likes to stuff it up us,only you know what its worth to you.

our shipping agent warned us about the handling agents here who like to earn that bit extra pretending to be customs,but as you will be dealing with them direct?

try and sort out an agent before it gets to them,you will need the bill of laden,the name of the ship its on,and when it is due to arrive and a list of everything thats in the boxes that way it might MIGHT not be opened.they will need a copy of your passport and address.

BIG TIME i meant about 25,000bht upwards.

my wife paid 12,000bht.and she was a thai returning home after 20yrs.it was all personel items.supposed to be tax free.[agents expences]

good luck.

. Oh dear ...

That is one of the options they like because they will bring your stuff home to themselves.

Quick win for them.

Say you will have it shipped back to its origins if to expensive.

You are in for a nerve-wracking game, stay as cool and relaxed as possible to get out cheaper.

There will possibly start a terror-scheme about finding the exact import-code for every single little detail in the shipment.

Means you will have to provide information about the stuff you never ever knew in the first place.

Brand, materials used in the item , year of manufacture, land of origin etc etc.

Try to get an agent in Thailand before your things arrive.

I had to ship some excess baggage, as I was entering from Singapore, and the contents were just clothing and accessories, boots, a duffel. My mistake was putting a value on it. When the courier showed up with a Bt 7800 customs bill, for my own personal items, I let them keep it. Lesson learned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'm assuming the stuff of course has already arrived at Bangkok , and they I assume customs officer has tried to contact me though my condo reception , and I'm to call him back on Monday to discuss ' imported items ' ...

I'm in a good mind yes just have them sent back ... Is that easy ? .. Where do I get an agent here for that ? ...

I could / will swallow 20k baht .. That's only because I want my golf clubs ..

I just hope I'm lucky and he's in a good mood ...

Also I'm assuming that they have already opened the boxes and would clearly see that everything but the iPad is used ( the iPad is too but I put it back to default ) .

Stressed !

Well I'm assuming the stuff of course has already arrived at Bangkok , and they I assume customs officer has tried to contact me though my condo reception , and I'm to call him back on Monday to discuss ' imported items ' ...

I'm in a good mind yes just have them sent back ... Is that easy ? .. Where do I get an agent here for that ? ...

Also I'm assuming that they have already opened the boxes and would clearly see that everything but the iPad is used ( the iPad is too but I put it back to default ) .

Stressed !

they are always in a good mood when there is a brown envelopewai.gif i sugest he knows what you got so gently ask him how much do i owe you,then tell him you will give him half and NO RECIEPT.thumbsup.gif

If I was you, I would get an agent or moving company to sort it out. Not just someone only care about bath and satang, but someone who really do want to help their customers. We did and we were the one with the big smile on. You present might even get things more complicated and more expensive

This is Thailand, anything is possible.

It may cost you nothing or a fortune - and any other amount in between!

For example, when I shipped a container over here, personal possessions (insurance value approx £100,000, I was delighted to be only charged B4000.

But when I bought a few things online and had them mailed here, value approx £800 I was charged B11,000 duty!

So there doesn't seem to be a great deal of logic or consistency (no surprise) so you'll just have to wait and see.

The above is not very useful to you I admit!

You might be lucky.

There is as more chance of customs not even opening your goods and just getting them sent on to you.

There are thousands of parcels sent into Thailand every single day of the year.

You can bet less than 5% get checked by x-rax

Edited by berybert

P.s. I used to work for a removal firm in Bangkok, it really is so much easier to send stuff using a decent company. Get one company to deal with collecting and delivering of goods.

You might save a few quid going via a courier but is it really worth the hassle ?

There is as more chance of customs not even opening your goods and just getting them sent on to you.

There are thousands of parcels sent into Thailand every single day of the year.

You can bet less than 5% get checked by x-rax

60kilo's is more than a parcel.

yes he should arrange with an agent who is LICENCED TO ENTER THE DOCK and pick up the goods and deliver to his doorstep.

3 cubic mtrs.cost us 6,000bht.from dock to korat.not including the release fee.12,000bht.

Stressed !

Any update on your items ?