Snake - Ngoo Sing

weka

Dogs (Jack Russells) got another snake the other day - not before it slithered and chased me I might add!! Doesn't the heart race when that happens?!!

About 5-6 ft long.

Dogs got repeatedly bitten from what I could see, so I took them and the snake carcass to the vet hoping it wasn't a poisonous one

Vet, and an old guy who spoke authoritatively, concluded it was Ngoo Sing (that's what they called it)

The dogs get a few of these and these snakes have small heads and actually smell like fish.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about Ngoo Sing? Sort of brown with yellow flecks in the body, whitish underneath

Dogs are fine and snake has been eaten by fish I'll wager - I threw it into the river

Just Curious, thanks

Thank you for the rat info Ayg, was wondering what the "sing" (don't know the Thai spelling) meant. I knew and meant the "ngoo" part for snake, hence the "g"

As for the death of the snake, well it was at a primary school and I had no input to it's death (or the numerous rats, cats, lizards and odd bird my dogs hunt), but take the view that this is the way of the jungle, and it's artificial to prevent these types of things happening.

The snakes have taken a fair few chunks out of the dogs over the years, and have killed many people's dogs, so it's not a one way street

was wondering what the "sing" (don't know the Thai spelling) meant.

I'd wondered, too. My first guess was that it was "lion", which remains a possibility. It's spelled without the final (silent) consonant of singha, but the same spelling is used in some compounds with the same "lion" meaning.

According to the dictionary, "sing" means haunted or possessed. That might be the meaning here.

Of course, it might just be the name of the snake and have no particular meaning.

Thanks Ayg

When I took the rat snake around the locals at the school who I know really well, they all jumped back worried and insisted that it was a cobra. I was pretty sure it wasn't but it did bite the dogs numerous times so the 5 minute trip to the vet was compulsory in my mind.

However Ayg the word for cobra sounded like "Ngoo How"

Do you know what it is and it's translation please?

BTW I talked to my vet about symptoms of snake bites and he said usually 3-6 hours, look for foamy saliva and convulsions from the stomach. Perhaps some information of use to TV members.

They've survived green pit viper bites before but the wife was on hand to kill the snake and bring it tot he vets, thus saving their lives

Cobra is ŋuuˑ​hàw - second syllable low tone.

hàw means "to bark" (as in what a dog does). And they do make a rasping, growling noise, a bit like an angry dog.

do any others do that,because the last but one who our beloved wanted to fight made a growling noise which i hadnt heard previous.

we have had our fair share the past yr.another 2mtr.one sunday which made a dash over a 6ft.wall.