What is the best keyboard for a desktop PC?

Acharn

I tried searching for previous threads on this but didn't find anything. If there's an existing thread please post a link.

After only two years the keyboard that came with my new custom PC is bothering me. I've never been real happy with it, sometimes the shift keys don't work and other times I'll press a key and the letter won't get sent to the screen. Biggest thing right now is that the letters on some of the keys are getting hard to read. the B and N keys especially, but E,R, and T also. The Thai letters disappearing is the biggest problem because I can touch type in English but it's slow hunt and peck in Thai.

I need a Thai/English keyboard, but what brand is going to last longest? Logitech? The computer store I usually go to has only cheap keyboards, but I think I could probably order from Lazada or invade IT if I knew a good brand and model. If worse came to worst I could probably order from Amazon or eBay, although that gets expensive due to shipping costs.

two words: Cherry Switches

Started by steven100, 2015-09-08 08:23 -- 25 replies to this topic
Started by Crushdepth, 2015-06-13 13:34 -- 7 replies to this topic
Started by Silktouch, 2014-08-01 09:28 -- 2 replies mentioning keyboards

I have the Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse set as it was priced right and has worked fine for years. Can send the PC to the TV via hdmi and take the keyboard/mouse to the TV table. Not stuck at the desk all the time. Works anywhere in the room.

The Microsoft set was available but being cheap as I m I got the Logitech for half that price at Tesco/Lotus.

Got it back in 2009 or 10 so it holds up pretty good and has dual language keys. I have seen no wear on any of the keys and I m on it daily. Have to say I m happy with the one I got and no more cables.

You could go for a mechanical keyboard but it will cost you a lot more. I only use mechanical switches now but that's just personal preference. You can buy many decent rubber dome keyboards for as little as 200 baht which will likely last at least a couple years. Switching to mechanical ups the price to a minimum of probably 2000 baht.

Logitech K200. Cheap as hell but gets the job done. Went back to it after investing in an expensive, mechanical keyboard from Razer. If you go for a mechanical board, make sure that you're comfortable with the sound of those particular switches (differently colored switches make different sounds).

Two words -- second that. At least mechanical if not Cherry.

I've been using this Microsoft 5000 combo set for a long time. It works and looks like new.

I paid about 1500B for it from Amazon UK.

1380685264_2090965530_o.jpg

Had one of these too. Liked this keyboard but the mouse actually ended up my problem. The rubber-like bumper trim and roller on the mouse got really nasty over here. The problem with buying Microsoft sets is also that you can't replace just one piece as the transmitter is tied to the original set.

Why the hell has the world gone black?

For some fashion trend they throw all ergonomics ovber board.

Close to impossible to get a modern (USB) keyboard in white/ivory with black print.

I currently use a white keyboard with a PS/2 (!) connector.

I've been using this Microsoft 5000 combo set for a long time. It works and looks like new.

Had one of these too. Liked this keyboard but the mouse actually ended up my problem. The rubber-like bumper trim and roller on the mouse got really nasty over here. The problem with buying Microsoft sets is also that you can't replace just one piece as the transmitter is tied to the original set.

The gunge can indeed accumulate. I clean it off with an old toothbrush and some window cleaning fluid.

I also bought a back-up combo set of the same model at the same time, just in case, and for 1500B I wont mind ditching the whole thing after x years if one part fails.

Close to impossible to get a modern (USB) keyboard in white/ivory with black print.

Have a white keyboard with a PS/2 (!) connector, it is years old, but from time to time get it out to use.. do not find white with back keys good to use....

Present one is a 'Macnus' with back light, is so nice and easy to use.. I built a pull out tray under my desktop, [wood 1.80m x 1m desktop] so keyboard in in the dark

Touchscreen is better. Ever considered an IPad?

No, 'way too small. I prefer the grandpa box with a keyboard and mouse attached by wires. I've got a Samsung tablet to read books on when I'm travelling, but I can't imagine trying to type on it. Also anything from Apple is way overpriced.

Have a white keyboard with a PS/2 (!) connector, it is years old, but from time to time get it out to use.. do not find white with back keys good to use....

Present one is a 'Macnus' with back light, is so nice and easy to use.. I built a pull out tray under my desktop, [wood 1.80m x 1m desktop] so keyboard in in the dark

I'll type on anything, I'm not fussy - just as long as it's white. Black keyboards are a pain - difficult to see - I'm a touch-typist (for almost 50 years), but my eyesight isn't so great these days, and the white keyboard makes it much easier to zero in on what I want. Some days I have to churn out a couple of thousand words, so I need to be able to spot my target quickly. And that means White. White power.

1380685264_2090965530_o.jpg

Well, the price is right, but did that include shipping? Because I've found buying from Amazon and having it shipped to me here in Thailand runs into serious money. I'm a bit prejudiced against wireless, but then I've been a slow adopter of computer stuff for 40 years. I put off upgrading from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 until after Windows 98 came out.

Thanks for the links. I had to google cherry switches, so I'm learning something new, always good. Mechanical keyboards look like what I need, but they're a lot more expensive than I want to go. Roccat Ryos cheapest is over 5k at invade IT. Haven't looked at Lazada yet. Ordering from overseas seems likely to be a LOT more expensive. Thank you. Good starting point.

Well, I learned to type on mechanical typewriters (my mother had a portable, I think Underwood) and the keys as I remember were always light gray with black lettering. I prefer black keys with white lettering, but would probably like a beige or grey keyboard with black lettering. As I mentioned I don't really look at the keys then I'm typing in English, and I could probably learn the Thai keyboard layout if I wasn't so lazy and easily distracted. I've seen some white keyboards at invadeIT. They have a good English language search function. Haven't got around to checking out Lazada or Advice yet. I don't think Advice delivers. Lazada does, and I understand invadeIT does, too.

Logitech K200. Cheap as hell but gets the job done. Went back to it after investing in an expensive, mechanical keyboard from Razer. If you go for a mechanical board, make sure that you're comfortable with the sound of those particular switches (differently colored switches make different sounds).

I'm prejudiced in favor of Logitech because they established a good reputation in the early days when IBM first brought out their PC. Saw the Logitech K100 for ฿400 from invadeIT. Might buy one of those to use while I save up for a mechanical. The ones that look good to me are north of ฿4,000.

Don`t think there is such a thing as a best keyboard for a PC, because it`s down to preferences.

There are keyboards with low keys, high keys, hard keys, soft keys, different functions, different colours, shapes and sizes. It`s like buying a pair of shoes, people choose the one`s they feel more comfortable with.

I have always gone for the cheapskate keyboards, 120 baht jobs with both Thai and English options, brands no one`s ever heard of and they last for years. At one time my girlfriend bought me an expensive keyboard for my birthday, can`t remember the make, and I hated it. As soon as her back was turned I reinstalled my Acme company cheapo keyboard that I was use to.

Don`t think there is such a thing as a best keyboard for a PC, because it`s down to preferences.

Well, yes. That really wasn't what I meant to ask.

There are keyboards with low keys, high keys, hard keys, soft keys, different functions, different colours, shapes and sizes. It`s like buying a pair of shoes, people choose the one`s they feel more comfortable with.

I have always gone for the cheapskate keyboards, 120 baht jobs with both Thai and English options, brands no one`s ever heard of and they last for years. At one time my girlfriend bought me an expensive keyboard for my birthday, can`t remember the make, and I hated it. As soon as her back was turned I reinstalled my Acme company cheapo keyboard that I was use to.

"... last for years." That's what I was asking about. The keyboard I have, labeled "DMA", is getting hard to use because the keytops are getting worn. After only two years. I used to work at a private school where we had about seventy-five computers that were replaced every four or five years. I don't remember seeing any of those keyboards getting worn as fast as this. I really meant to ask for recommendations of a better brand, but the first reply mentioned a type of mechanical keyboard that attracted my interest. Since they're mostly expensive (I found one that looks good available from invadeIT for about ฿2,500) I think I'll go for a Logitech. Not the cheapest, but pretty good quality.

Archived