The Logic Behind The Visa Crackdown

The route of the sex tourist...

Man with no money walks down the street and ask a pretty woman for free sex she says NO way.

Man with car and money drives downs street, stops next to pretty woman and asks for free sex, she says how much?

Its the oldest profesion in the world and nearly impossible to stop, educate the women and make all the men poor, then it will just change the conversation to Woman with car.......ect.

If the government educate the people and give a better quality of prospects, life it will cause the flow of women to cease, its their country they have to make the decisions on what they want.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second group are foreign men under 50 years of age. Thai immigration takes the view that they are too young to retire and, unless they have a work permit, are likely living here without paying taxes as they would have to do in their own country. Some of these guys marry a Thai national and immigration sources say they will carry out more checks in future to see if the couple really are in love. There’s also a suspicion that some men in this group could be international criminals who have been using the automatic visa on arrival at border posts to come and go more or less undetected.

I dont understand dis one little bit. I work as an internationally recognised ARTISTE around the world and some places I pay da taxes an' some places I dont pay 'em so much.

Now much as Ive tried to break the Pattaya caberet circuit (and a few other things nyah,nyah) -they don't appreciate a CLASS act when they see it. So I dont get no work permit. AND if I dont get no work permit I dont get no spondoolas and widout no spondoolas how can I pay the tax?

Do they wanna tax my Vegas earnings? If so why dont they say so? Whos tax do they want?

AND ANOTHER THING. I AINT NEVER GONNA RETIRE! But if I was gonna retire who's gonna tell me that I'm too young?

:o Oh and dat other guy hangin around here. I been hearin' about him. A lot of people have been freeloadin over the years pretending to be me and I'm tellin ya, It's a joke. It's pathetic! That guy dont even look like me. It takes more than a pink shirt and shades to sing numbers like I do! I AM UNIQUE!

yours,

Tony - mwah mwah :D

The vast majority of visits to prostitutes in Thailand are accomplished by Thai men. One source suggests upward of 450,000 visits per year. I don't think prositution itself is considered a major factor in all this. It is discretion or indiscrtion to the tune of parading these prostitutes around the towns and buying them gold, cars, large houses, etc... that causes the major loss of face. I am not casting stones here, I have done this myself many times. If we could keep it closed to public view it would probably be tolerated but we simply can't. I can't either. We insist upon walking about holding hands with hookers who are half our age. We rub the educated professional Thai's nose in it each and every day.

Imagine if any group of foreign toursist moved into Beverly Hills or Brentwood in Los Angeles and set up homes in the several million dollar range with the Crack Whores from West Hollywood. How long would the locals tolerated that? Not long.

Keeping the classes separated is also a related factor. Who buys all those 5 million baht houses in Pattaya? It is not the Thai Urban Professional. Many of these people have vast amounts of schooling and work experience and should they choose to buy one of these houses, they are likely to have to live next door to these rural Issan girls. Not what they dreamed of while chasing the right education and the right jobs to raise a proper family.

Pretty much exactly what I was trying to say, although I think there is more to it than that. My understanding is that there is more culture and worldview going on than we as "everyone is equal, dammit!" westerners can see. Afterall, this is Asia where everything has a rank and place in the sceme of things... and a lot of people just don't belong in 5 million THB houses. Its an affront to the Thai worldview. You can't even say "I" without choosing higher or lower in Thai. Its something that we as Westerners just don't understand, and CAN'T understand past the cliff notes version...

If the government educate the people and give a better quality of prospects, life it will cause the flow of women to cease, its their country they have to make the decisions on what they want.

This is true. Another thing, curiously ... there are a lot of stories about Thai women getting 'sold' into prostitution... to my understanding, this rarely happens in the farang side of things. I could be wrong about that, but aren't most farang-oriented prostitutes basically free lancers?

(but then, it isn't the prostitution so much as it is the press)

Edited by drummer

The second group are foreign men under 50 years of age. Thai immigration takes the view that they are too young to retire

I'm really very sorry, but this makes me laughing my a... off! :D

In what kind of world these people are living???

What has property to do with the age????

I know a lot of people, which retired their self in an age below 50 years.

Is it the false of these lucky guys now, that they have more money than an average (foreign)pensioner in TH after 30 or 40 years of working and saving?

Which overstressed or even sick brain is responsible for this age-limitation????

Is it so difficult to accept the reality that age has nothing to do with income or property? :D

But probably it's a wonderful achievement/result to become 50 years of age in TH...a look at the driving behavior of the locals could enlighten us.

:o

Edited by hunter2000

The second group are foreign men under 50 years of age. Thai immigration takes the view that they are too young to retire

I know a lot of people, which retired their self in an age below 50 years.

Is it the false of these lucky guys now, that they have more money than an average (foreign)pensioner in TH after 30 or 40 years of working and saving?

Which overstressed or even sick brain is responsible for this age-limitation????

Is it so difficult to accept the reality that age has nothing to do with income or property? :D

But probably it's a wonderful achievement/result to become 50 years of age in TH...a look at the driving behavior of the locals could enlighten us.

:o

I agree about the retirement age being unfortunate. I will also toss in that WOMEN under 50 can retire.

This has been one of the better and more interesting debates on visas changes TV has carried and I enjoy reading it all.

Bye the way, I carry a backpack. It is not the mark of the devil or the destitute. It keeps my arms free to carry my briefcase where I keep my Gold Cards.

Here is a little food for thought, and fun, copied from the WanderlustInk web site, from a 40 year old financially secure woman who is not trying to live permanently in Thailand. But she did get rid of everything back home to take a 1-2 year extended trip mostly in and around the Kingdom. Bam! The rules changed just are she arrived.

Coping with Thailand’s Tightened Visa Regulations

It is the end of an era in Thailand. Political changes occur rapidly in SE Asia. Nowhere is that more evident than inside the Land of Smiles. In the wake of the John Karr / JonBenet Ramsey fiasco, Thailand has tightened restrictions on Tourism Visas and stymied the lives of tens of thousands of travelers. Officials claim the two are not connected.

For many years now, backpackers have flocked to Thailand. It’s tropical climate, gentle citizens, inviting beaches and ease of travel beckon youthful exuberance. Over time, many of us have matured to suitcases and still less-stylish travelers followed suit.

During these Golden Years of Thai travel visitors form 39 countries could enter the Kingdom of Thailand for thirty days without obtaining a visa before their arrival. Those staying on longer would simply make a border run, cross out of the country and return, often within minutes. Whish! Stamp! Boom! They had another thirty days.

Currently details of the new regulations are as clear as mud in an unlit cave. It appears starting October 1, 2006, travelers such as myself will be able to make a maximum of two border runs. We receive thirty days on arrival. Then, we receive thirty days each for the two reentries. After that we may not enter Thailand again for ninety days. In other words, after ninety days in, we must leave for ninety days. Whish! Stamp! Stamp! Out!

The tourism industry will suffer! From taxi drivers and guest houses, to massage schools and laundry services, the impact will be felt. I imagine a Tuk Tuk driver will look up this January and think, “Hey, where’d everybody go?” I like to believe the cumulative economic loss will be more than the Kingdom fathoms and policies will loosen again over time. I also still hang a Christmas stocking up for myself.

Alongside Thais, how are long-term travelers being affected by the changes? If you think the inconvenience to individuals is negligible, consider the following. Here are some examples.

Donald Wood – UK

“My sister and her family were to spend February in Thailand with me. They have canceled their trip. Why? Because, I’ll be out for ninety days by then.”

Kelly Laidlaw – USA

“I paid for a one month TEFL Course and two months ’volunteer’ teacher training on Samui next year. That’s three months total. I lose days from each 30 day allotment, because I have to do my visa border runs on weekend (to not miss class). This is what I’m left with. I leap into Thailand the day before class starts and sprint for Samui. Then, I fly out the day after I finish teaching/graduate. Perhaps a prospective school can interview me in the Tuk Tuk on the way to the airport.”

Claude DeVosjoli – France

“I had many plans for my six months– sure to travel, but more. I’m always doing something. Mahout training, an expansive meditation experience, maybe I learn to cook Thai. And, there’s trekking, Muay Thai courses… There’s so much to do here. Now I can do only half. Half lose my francs. It’s so hard to choose.”

Barry Anderson – Australia

“Funny thing is Burma (a.k.a. Myanmar) lost business because of the Thai regs. I wanted to hop over there bouts for a week mid-November. Can’t now. That would use up one of my precious two visa runs early. Don’t wanna torch thirteen days I figure.”

Kathy Taylor – Canada

“I sold my home to come to SE Asia for a couple years. The thinking was I would maintain a small apartment in Chiang Mai, take some classes, travel around a bit and have a place to nest and write in between. Now when I travel to other countries it will go lock, stock and barrel, along with my tourism dollars for many months.”

Alan McLawrie – UK

“I’m currently taking classes to learn to speak Thai. I’ll miss the third level now. Of course, I’ll be off in Vietnam not able to practice what I just learned anyway. Also, I volunteer at a dog rescue and will miss the pups. I’m financially independent, yet too young to meet the 50 year old requirement for a Retirement Visa here. Officials actually said this new law will stop bad people and not hurt good people. Well, if financially successful, charitable volunteers who study their culture are bad guys, send me to the front of the line.”

Anita Kroll – USA

“This change is a bit of a pickle for me. I have a three month course this spring. So, in December when my 90 is up, I have to leave Thailand for almost four months, not three. I’ll need the whole next lot of ninety days to cover my class time. The course starts in late April and I’m out in December. I wish there had been more notice before the government changed things, though in retrospect I did not have to pay in advance.”

As you see there are dozens of ways Thailand’s new policies will cause little inconveniences. But, how little are they? You see, I am Anita. I am Alan. I am Kathy, Barry, Kelly, Donald and even Claude DeVosjoli. All these issues occurred for just one peaceful gal who simply loves Thailand. What else do these issues have in common? That’s easy. They take money away (Whish!) from the Kingdom of Thailand and its citizens.

FYI: Since this writing – in the heat of the ‘visa change’ moment – the author’s point of view has changed a bit. She is looking forward to the many new adventure she will have in other countries. The convince of an apartment in Thailand would allow her to keep more material possession at a home base, nothing more. So, that can’t be done. Se la vie!

Perhaps the only constant here is that the Thais. other than our girlfreinds or boyfriends , their families, and the supporting poor people, do not care about our money. In fact, they resent us empowering the poor with it. The US was spending up to $10 billion a year in the 60s and 70s. They were asked to leave. They were paying laborers and office workers 10 times what they could in Thai owned companies.

It is helpful to understand this money relationship. Most do not see it and will likely think I am crazy.

The Urban professional wants his rightful place in his/her ocuntry back. They really do not want us Farangs giving it to the poor.

It is hard to understand... but the reason they are poor is because they are bad people. Merit and all. It is their place in the world to do what they do... Its not that different from an 'untouchable' in India. It *IS* hard if not impossible for us to comprehend.

It doesn't even matter that the money we give to the lower classes ends up eventually in the hands of the government and the elite classes (poor people buy use AIS too, afterall!)

It is hard to understand... but the reason they are poor is because they are bad people. Merit and all. It is their place in the world to do what they do... Its not that different from an 'untouchable' in India. It *IS* hard if not impossible for us to comprehend.

It doesn't even matter that the money we give to the lower classes ends up eventually in the hands of the government and the elite classes (poor people buy use AIS too, afterall!)

The Urban Professional usually argues that he/she shoulders an extremely disproportionate tax burden. The poor pass their money amonst themselves and most pay little or no tax. Explaining alot about their intense displeasure with Thaksin skating taxes on the sale of his company for some $2 billion.

The Urban Professional usually argues that he/she shoulders an extremely disproportionate tax burden. The poor pass their money amonst themselves and most pay little or no tax. Explaining alot about their intense displeasure with Thaksin skating taxes on the sale of his company for some $2 billion.

The poor often pass the money upwards - which is why they stay poor. Study immigrant history in the US and you find this to be true. This is bit of a moot opint, as they don't pay much tax ... what are they going to give?

Another thing about the displeasure at Thaksin's tax evasion ... there is a system of upper/lower classes in Thailand. The lower classes treat the upper classes with respect, help them out as much as they can, keep them in mind with good thoughts, etc. the upper classes in turn look out for the lower classes, show their naam jai (generosity), buy them things, treat them well, etc. by not paying his taxes, not only was Thaksin favoring non Thais over Thais (another big no-no) but he was showing himself to be selfish ... a MAJOR sin for someone in his position.

It clearly showed thaksin as someone who is out for himself at the expense of everyone else. This is just not how the elite are supposed to handle themselves ... mixed in with criminal behavior and a direct financial blow to Thai people.

Perhaps the only constant here is that the Thais. other than our girlfreinds or boyfriends , their families, and the supporting poor people, do not care about our money. In fact, they resent us empowering the poor with it. The US was spending up to $10 billion a year in the 60s and 70s. They were asked to leave. They were paying laborers and office workers 10 times what they could in Thai owned companies.

It is helpful to understand this money relationship. Most do not see it and will likely think I am crazy.

The Urban professional wants his rightful place in his/her ocuntry back. They really do not want us Farangs giving it to the poor.

Thailand does very well out of tourists and foreigners investing here. It would seem from what you are saying that they do not care for the tourist industry or the money it produces.

That is nonsense. They value their tourism industry very much. Thailand is one of the most tourist friendly countries in the region. Why? Because they cater very well to tourists. Why bother building such a huge new airport in the hope of improving tourist flow?

They're having a few teething problems trying to enforce some new rules, but do these rules meet the general approval of the population at large? Are these new rules understood by the population at large? That is the question.

why do they want high quality tourists who stay in the sheraton , royal cliff? in the long term it's the low quality types who fall in love and marry prostitutes and come back year after year , buying houses in nong khai etc that they should be trying to attract . people with real money dont need to come back to thailand year after year ,they can go anywhere they like and have a good time .

Well, thats kind of missing the forest for the trees... they DO NOT WANT the people who fall in love with prostitutes at all. Those are dirty, dirty people that Thailand is better off without, regardless of how much money they have.

How many Asians do you see partaking in the sex industry? I don't mean how many do - how many do you actually see? It is a loss of face for Thailand for people to see it.

A good reply if judgemental. What has to be kept in mind is the fact that "whore-marriers" (for want of a better term) don't marry the first whore they meet, as a rule. Part of the Thai desire to control or expel a certain type of foreigner is rooted in the wish to eliminate a certain set of social ills that those foreigners create or exacerbate. We could take Pattaya as the prime example, but it's probably too early to risk pulling this thread so far off topic by opening that can of worms (again).

Sometimes I think most farang posting here are either drunk or never leave Pattaya when they make the comments. Prostitution is a huge part of Thailand way before farang. I can tell you exactly where huge number of brothels are located specifically for Thai, and farang almost never goes there, because they don't know. I know because I do business for years with Thai away from farang hang outs in Pattaya or Patong in Phuket. Girls are cheap, and it's not a bar. More like a massage place. You never see it because it's tucked away from mainstream, but Thai go there every day with thousands of girls available to them. Farang did not create prostitution situation in Thailand, and farang always over pay for their bargirls.

Guys,

The topic of this thread is: "The Logic Behind The Visa Crackdown". I fail to see where Pattaya or 'girls of negotiable affection' comes in to any of this. The Thais are uninterested in cracking down on prostitution. Have you been to Rachadapisek recently?! Too much money at stake. Too many important/influential people 'making out' to close this little earner...

The crackdown is very simple. Really. It's all about TAX. Apart from VAT how many of you pay tax? The Thai government right now has <deleted> all money. (Taksin and his guys have bled the country dry). Who is a great (read: easy) first target to help replenish the country's coffers?

This 'crackdown' affects me too, or likely will affect me in a few months. I really hate the situation as it is but I sympathize with the Thai governments point of view. The amount of money they lose in tax must be astronomical. The UK/US would never wear the current situation they have over here. Never. Most people I know over here pay little to no tax and they earn more in a month than many Thai's earn in a year.

Think about this topic more rationally...

Guys,

The topic of this thread is: "The Logic Behind The Visa Crackdown". I fail to see where Pattaya or 'girls of negotiable affection' comes in to any of this. The Thais are uninterested in cracking down on prostitution. Have you been to Rachadapisek recently?! Too much money at stake. Too many important/influential people 'making out' to close this little earner...

The crackdown is very simple. Really. It's all about TAX. Apart from VAT how many of you pay tax? The Thai government right now has <deleted> all money. (Taksin and his guys have bled the country dry). Who is a great (read: easy) first target to help replenish the country's coffers?

This 'crackdown' affects me too, or likely will affect me in a few months. I really hate the situation as it is but I sympathize with the Thai governments point of view. The amount of money they lose in tax must be astronomical. The UK/US would never wear the current situation they have over here. Never. Most people I know over here pay little to no tax and they earn more in a month than many Thai's earn in a year.

"I can see clearly now..."

Well said.

I agree about the retirement age being unfortunate. I will also toss in that WOMEN under 50 can retire.

This has been one of the better and more interesting debates on visas changes TV has carried and I enjoy reading it all.

Bye the way, I carry a backpack. It is not the mark of the devil or the destitute. It keeps my arms free to carry my briefcase where I keep my Gold Cards.

Here is a little food for thought, and fun, copied from the WanderlustInk web site, from a 40 year old financially secure woman who is not trying to live permanently in Thailand. But she did get rid of everything back home to take a 1-2 year extended trip mostly in and around the Kingdom. Bam! The rules changed just are she arrived.

Coping with Thailand’s Tightened Visa Regulations

It is the end of an era in Thailand. Political changes occur rapidly in SE Asia. Nowhere is that more evident than inside the Land of Smiles. In the wake of the John Karr / JonBenet Ramsey fiasco, Thailand has tightened restrictions on Tourism Visas and stymied the lives of tens of thousands of travelers. Officials claim the two are not connected.

For many years now, backpackers have flocked to Thailand. It’s tropical climate, gentle citizens, inviting beaches and ease of travel beckon youthful exuberance. Over time, many of us have matured to suitcases and still less-stylish travelers followed suit.

During these Golden Years of Thai travel visitors form 39 countries could enter the Kingdom of Thailand for thirty days without obtaining a visa before their arrival. Those staying on longer would simply make a border run, cross out of the country and return, often within minutes. Whish! Stamp! Boom! They had another thirty days.

Currently details of the new regulations are as clear as mud in an unlit cave. It appears starting October 1, 2006, travelers such as myself will be able to make a maximum of two border runs. We receive thirty days on arrival. Then, we receive thirty days each for the two reentries. After that we may not enter Thailand again for ninety days. In other words, after ninety days in, we must leave for ninety days. Whish! Stamp! Stamp! Out!

The tourism industry will suffer! From taxi drivers and guest houses, to massage schools and laundry services, the impact will be felt. I imagine a Tuk Tuk driver will look up this January and think, “Hey, where’d everybody go?” I like to believe the cumulative economic loss will be more than the Kingdom fathoms and policies will loosen again over time. I also still hang a Christmas stocking up for myself.

Alongside Thais, how are long-term travelers being affected by the changes? If you think the inconvenience to individuals is negligible, consider the following. Here are some examples.

Donald Wood – UK

“My sister and her family were to spend February in Thailand with me. They have canceled their trip. Why? Because, I’ll be out for ninety days by then.”

Kelly Laidlaw – USA

“I paid for a one month TEFL Course and two months ’volunteer’ teacher training on Samui next year. That’s three months total. I lose days from each 30 day allotment, because I have to do my visa border runs on weekend (to not miss class). This is what I’m left with. I leap into Thailand the day before class starts and sprint for Samui. Then, I fly out the day after I finish teaching/graduate. Perhaps a prospective school can interview me in the Tuk Tuk on the way to the airport.”

Claude DeVosjoli – France

“I had many plans for my six months– sure to travel, but more. I’m always doing something. Mahout training, an expansive meditation experience, maybe I learn to cook Thai. And, there’s trekking, Muay Thai courses… There’s so much to do here. Now I can do only half. Half lose my francs. It’s so hard to choose.”

Barry Anderson – Australia

“Funny thing is Burma (a.k.a. Myanmar) lost business because of the Thai regs. I wanted to hop over there bouts for a week mid-November. Can’t now. That would use up one of my precious two visa runs early. Don’t wanna torch thirteen days I figure.”

Kathy Taylor – Canada

“I sold my home to come to SE Asia for a couple years. The thinking was I would maintain a small apartment in Chiang Mai, take some classes, travel around a bit and have a place to nest and write in between. Now when I travel to other countries it will go lock, stock and barrel, along with my tourism dollars for many months.”

Alan McLawrie – UK

“I’m currently taking classes to learn to speak Thai. I’ll miss the third level now. Of course, I’ll be off in Vietnam not able to practice what I just learned anyway. Also, I volunteer at a dog rescue and will miss the pups. I’m financially independent, yet too young to meet the 50 year old requirement for a Retirement Visa here. Officials actually said this new law will stop bad people and not hurt good people. Well, if financially successful, charitable volunteers who study their culture are bad guys, send me to the front of the line.”

Anita Kroll – USA

“This change is a bit of a pickle for me. I have a three month course this spring. So, in December when my 90 is up, I have to leave Thailand for almost four months, not three. I’ll need the whole next lot of ninety days to cover my class time. The course starts in late April and I’m out in December. I wish there had been more notice before the government changed things, though in retrospect I did not have to pay in advance.”

As you see there are dozens of ways Thailand’s new policies will cause little inconveniences. But, how little are they? You see, I am Anita. I am Alan. I am Kathy, Barry, Kelly, Donald and even Claude DeVosjoli. All these issues occurred for just one peaceful gal who simply loves Thailand. What else do these issues have in common? That’s easy. They take money away (Whish!) from the Kingdom of Thailand and its citizens.

FYI: Since this writing – in the heat of the ‘visa change’ moment – the author’s point of view has changed a bit. She is looking forward to the many new adventure she will have in other countries. The convince of an apartment in Thailand would allow her to keep more material possession at a home base, nothing more. So, that can’t be done. Se la vie!

Wouldn't everyone of these people be able to fix their self percieved problem by getting a tourist visa? As a matter of fact, they would be better off with the tourist visa, that way they would only have to leave to get new tourist visa every (60+30) 90 days.

TH

Wouldn't everyone of these people be able to fix their self percieved problem by getting a tourist visa? As a matter of fact, they would be better off with the tourist visa, that way they would only have to leave to get new tourist visa every (60+30) 90 days.

You are in all probability, 100% absolutely correct. The point taken from the stories posted from WanderlustInk is that the ham-fisted manner by which the Thai authorities are going about the implementation of these new rules (or the enforcement of old rules as the case may be) creates confusion amongst the travel community. This is bound to have an undesired negative impact upon tourism in Thailand, even though there may be be a simple enough way for travelers to circumvent any potential problems.

I have heard today that these new rules are more or less related to the self-sufficiency policy. Thailand needs to be able to be an independent country, without a need for so much foreigners, nor their money or their investments.

Cheers.

"self suffiency policy" ... translate "Isolationism" it goes hand in hand with xenophobia. Not actually good for the economy.

Do you live on the dark side of the moon or something...?

There won't be a tourist visa for you once your 90 days are over..

Immigration officials have been misleading people urging them to get tourist visas after 3 border runs....

They wont give it to you...period. Read between the lines people..!

I am one of those affected by the changes... :o

Our only hope is that the whole exercise will be dropped...as it's rumoured...

Thanks..

Guys,

The topic of this thread is: "The Logic Behind The Visa Crackdown". I fail to see where Pattaya or 'girls of negotiable affection' comes in to any of this.

Ask my wife or Thai-Spy or others ... a great many Thais are tired of having Thailand seen as the world's brothel. This is related to Garr etc. it is a matter of face.

Sure, Thais are uninterested in actually doing anything about it - it makes too much money and really is a strong underpinning of their culture (the idea that men use prostitutes simply because they are men, bar none, greatly affects, for example, how a the genders treat each other - a profound cultural impact)

Read the rest of the posts in the thread. Thai coffers stand to LOSE by the new regulation, not gain.

Total nonense drummer.

If you look at the 'black' employment market in Thailand for non-Thais you'll see they're losing billions of baht in lost tax revenue.

The border guys are not going to refuse entry to genuine tourists. If you have been in Thailand for years though (especially on VOA's) then things will get complicated once they start leafing through your passport. Their first thought (along with Thai IRS) is that if you're not retired where is your money coming from? And, if it's earned in Thailand 'where's our piece of the action?' Plus, if you stay in Thailand for the majority of the year - on paper at least - you're deemed a resident of the country meant to submit a tax return.

If you look at the tax laws of this country WAY more people should be paying tax that are right now. The only thing that saves people is that Thailand 's systems are inefficient, corrupt, and pretty close to useless. This will eventually change though.

Edited by dairy queen

Total nonense drummer.

If you look at the 'black' employment market in Thailand for non-Thais you'll see they're losing billions of baht in lost tax revenue.

The border guys are not going to refuse entry to genuine tourists. If you have been in Thailand for years though (especially on VOA's) then things will get complicated once they start leafing through your passport. Their first thought (along with Thai IRS) is that if you're not retired where is your money coming from? And, if it's earned in Thailand 'where's our piece of the action?' Plus, if you stay in Thailand for the majority of the year - on paper at least - you're deemed a resident of the country meant to submit a tax return.

If you look at the tax laws of this country WAY more people should be paying tax that are right now. The only thing that saves people is that Thailand 's systems are inefficient, corrupt, and pretty close to useless. This will eventually change though.

well there is an easy way to tax foreigners. Just raise the price of a long term visa. I don't mind paying 40 of 50K baht a year for a visa. I earn my money in the states and pay taxes there. Thailand and the US have a tax treaty to not double tax. If Thailand starts double taxing the citizens of their major trading partners then they will have a big problem selling their exports and are not going to screw up one of their biggest sources of income. So for a lot of people like me who bring money into the country then Thailand has no claim whatsoever to tax that income. Having said that if they want to charge admisssion then okay just do it.

. Just raise the price of a long term visa. I don't mind

paying 40 of 50K baht a year for a visa.

yes,i dont mind same because of cheap livingcost,,,,,i would pay////////////

but even in other holidaydestinations like tuerkey,spain, etc............... people staying 10,11 month per year without paying tax,,,,,,and nobody mind.................

but even i am not working in any case

to ricocasado + lapamita

I agree with you and I refeer to the Birmingham link in an other thread.

And immigration will not count the days someone stayed in LOS on each of the 3 stamps.

I guess nobody here knows how the 3 rd triangle shaped stamp (in a period of .... days) will look like

Edited by dash

"Well said."

Articulated to your satisfaction, it is still nonsense. Assuming that the Kingdom gets an extra 3800THB ("tax", according to you and other foggy thinkers) per affected visitor every year, it would amount to a mere rounding error to the Thai economy. Your thinking cap is not working.

why do they want high quality tourists who stay in the sheraton , royal cliff? in the long term it's the low quality types who fall in love and marry prostitutes and come back year after year , buying houses in nong khai etc that they should be trying to attract . people with real money dont need to come back to thailand year after year ,they can go anywhere they like and have a good time .

Well, thats kind of missing the forest for the trees... they DO NOT WANT the people who fall in love with prostitutes at all. Those are dirty, dirty people that Thailand is better off without, regardless of how much money they have.

How many Asians do you see partaking in the sex industry? I don't mean how many do - how many do you actually see? It is a loss of face for Thailand for people to see it.

A good reply if judgemental. What has to be kept in mind is the fact that "whore-marriers" (for want of a better term) don't marry the first whore they meet, as a rule. Part of the Thai desire to control or expel a certain type of foreigner is rooted in the wish to eliminate a certain set of social ills that those foreigners create or exacerbate. We could take Pattaya as the prime example, but it's probably too early to risk pulling this thread so far off topic by opening that can of worms (again).

Sometimes I think most farang posting here are either drunk or never leave Pattaya when they make the comments. Prostitution is a huge part of Thailand way before farang. I can tell you exactly where huge number of brothels are located specifically for Thai, and farang almost never goes there, because they don't know. I know because I do business for years with Thai away from farang hang outs in Pattaya or Patong in Phuket. Girls are cheap, and it's not a bar. More like a massage place. You never see it because it's tucked away from mainstream, but Thai go there every day with thousands of girls available to them. Farang did not create prostitution situation in Thailand, and farang always over pay for their bargirls.

Thing is that the international media only reports about the farang-oriented prostitution etc. So that's what has to be targeted to try and put a lid on the bad press......

So farang makes waves and gets noticed. The rest is not reported much, and brings in more i'd think. mai pen rai.