Japanese man arrested for drug, gun possession in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Japanese man arrested for drug, gun possession in Thailand

BANGKOK – A Japanese man has been arrested in Thailand for possessing more than 2 kilograms of an illegal stimulant drug and an unauthorized automatic gun, while three others were apprehended for trying to bribe the police into releasing him, Thai police said Saturday.

Yutaka Itakura, 34, was arrested in Bangkok on Friday with around 2.3 kg of methamphetamine that he tried to sell to an undercover agent working for the police. The police also found money worth more than $30,000 in his room.

He is accused of trying to bribe the police into releasing him. Three other Japanese men were also arrested after they came to offer a bribe in exchange for Itakura’s release.

Itakura has been charged with possessing illicit drugs with intent to sell, selling illegal drugs, possessing an unregistered gun and trying to bribe police officers. He could face the death penalty if found guilty of the drug-related charges.

-- The Japan Times 2015.10.25

Thats a pretty hefty bribe to turn down.

The article doesn't say how much was offered as a bribe. More likely, they offered less than the amount that was found in his room, which I'm sure already went into their pockets without having to release him. Obviously, the ransom-seeking kidnappers police are holding out for more.

The article doesn't say how much was offered as a bribe. More likely, they offered less than the amount that was found in his room, which I'm sure already went into their pockets without having to release him. Obviously, the ransom-seeking kidnappers police are holding out for more.

You are my favorite ttype of TV poster--the kind who responds with all the answers even though he never even reads the article for the most basic of details. In this case, the detsil of approximately $28,000 offered as bribe.

Ofcourse, in real life this failure on your part to read the article would largely discredit anything else you postulate; however, on TV, where so many are bored to death with their lives in Thailand, any additional drama and exaggeration is most welcome ;-)

Cheers

I think as a joint police effort, was reported yesterday the jap cops were assisting, is the reason bribery had to be passed up.

It is reported that cops are often bribed for much less. The jap cops actually offrr a results business. Obvously i might be wrong but that is a fair guess

You are my favorite ttype of TV poster--the kind who responds with all the answers even though he never even reads the article for the most basic of details. In this case, the detsil of approximately $28,000 offered as bribe.

Ofcourse, in real life this failure on your part to read the article would largely discredit anything else you postulate; however, on TV, where so many are bored to death with their lives in Thailand, any additional drama and exaggeration is most welcome ;-)

Cheers

You expect the poster to actually have to go to the trouble of clicking on a link and then having to read an in-depth article in order to try and comprehend the topic? Great expectation.thumbsup.gif

I bet they demanded more and had too many in the group and was not enough to share.. By the way since most of Japanese here are some how ends up dead from falling stairs or being murdered I think it's time they take safety measures

Jokes apart nice job by RTP

I think as a joint police effort, was reported yesterday the jap cops were assisting, is the reason bribery had to be passed up.

It is reported that cops are often bribed for much less. The jap cops actually offrr a results business. Obvously i might be wrong but that is a fair guess

Great Post !

If you madeit up...well done !

If you really did hear this then thanks for sharing it.

You cant bribe a cop when its a joint cooperation included many police. If a cop catches you you have only 1 chance to bribe him. And that is before (he/they if partners) takes you to jail. Surely other situations have occured but not often.

Cheers

Does it really matter?

OK, bust his ass for the drugs, but the gun...give me an f/ing break. I lay bet that 6 out 10 Thais have guns. It may even be 8 out 10. New Years eve... come to the countryside and listen to the chorus of automatic gun fire. And one more line on the meth, folks it's rampant and who's running the show? The ones who serve and protect (their profits) Let's bow our heads, it's Sunday.

OK, bust his ass for the drugs, but the gun...give me an f/ing break. I lay bet that 6 out 10 Thais have guns. It may even be 8 out 10. New Years eve... come to the countryside and listen to the chorus of automatic gun fire. And one more line on the meth, folks it's rampant and who's running the show? The ones who serve and protect (their profits) Let's bow our heads, it's Sunday.

And whats your point ?....the Japanese guy aint Thai is he ? So confused on what exactly your trying to get at ?

I bet 6 out of 10 Thai's ride their motocys without helmets, does that mean every 6 out of 10 farangs do it as well and get their heads staved in, when they fall off the bike ?

So disclose to the world that his friends were attempting to bribe them (the police) and then hold out for more - makes perfect sense!!

You cant bribe a cop when its a joint cooperation included many police. If a cop catches you you have only 1 chance to bribe him. And that is before (he/they if partners) takes you to jail. Surely other situations have occured but not often.

Don't you believe it.

The bribe obviously was not enough,the reward the police will receive

will be more,as they get a % of the value of the drugs.

Now let him and others out on bail,and let them run.

regards worgeordie

I wonder who's actually sitting in all those Thai prisons, since according to Thaivisa, every drug dealer or murderer or whatever criminal is able to bail himself out.

The bribe obviously was not enough,the reward the police will receive

will be more,as they get a % of the value of the drugs.

Now let him and others out on bail,and let them run.

regards worgeordie

I wonder who's actually sitting in all those Thai prisons, since according to Thaivisa, every drug dealer or murderer or whatever criminal is able to bail himself out.

Its just like in the US prisons--the prisons are full of innocent people who were framed ;-)

Cheers

Said he, while posting on TV, discrediting a previous poster!!!!!! biggrin.pngthumbsup.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifwai.gif