If a Single entry Tourist Visa becomes the new normal - How sustainable is it?

Since likelihood is that from after 13th Nov 2015 there will be no more double tourist visa from Lao many people may start using single entry tourist Visa’s.

While in theory there is no limit to the amount of back to back single tourist visa that can be applied for, Lao has on occasions rejected a double tourist application and only issued a single because of the previous amount of a back to back applications on the passport.

The question of back to back permissible applications for single entry tourist Visa’s may become increasingly more important.

Questions

1. While historic information might not be a good predictor of what will happen after 13th Nov it is still worthwhile knowing if there are any bordering country’s currently that do have an unofficially imposed limit on any max number of single back to back Tourist visa’s applications – Does anyone know of any country where this is a problem?

2. If there are currently limits or in fact there becomes an unofficial limit on single back to back applications - is the solution around this really going to be as simple as just alternatively applying first to Lao, then to Malaysia, next to Vietnam and then back to Lao?

3. Since Vietnam has changed its visa exempt policy for some nationalities and entry is free and return flights from Bangkok (if booked in advanced) can be had for around 2,500 THB together with experiencing an immigration process that is much easier this might increasingly be a consideration for some in the future. However does anyone have any knowledge of the easiness of the process in HCMC for a single Tourist Visa? i.e is the consulate easy to reach, are there any extra challenges in dealing with HCMC officials or different processes that makes the application more difficult?

Edited by spambot

I will make a comment on OP third point. The hcmc thai consulate is centrally located and easy to access from areas like district 1. The consulate itself is a breeze. No queues to speak of. Need to take hard copy of your ticket INTO Thailand. I am in hcmc as I type this. Very chilled place.

As fir new METV personally that would be great for me and some others visiting places outside los OFTEN. Could keep.getting successive visas. The people hardest hit are those working or whatever who need to do quick boarder runs.

BTW your correct about the flights. This trip was 1600b return but can pay 2500 as you suggest.

Edited by jacksam
  • Like 1

It is very difficult to answer these questions as we don't have the requirements of most regional embassies about METV and TR visas

1/ Nothing is official, we have info by default; ie members reporting being rejected at borders/ embassies because of too many TR visas.

It is down to each consulate/border and sometime officer. I would say most have unofficial limits, however I am aware of one consulate that has stated no limits to the number of consecutive TR Visas (but most likely will revert to limit soon, given recent events).

2/ Looks like it yes. Until people run out of embassies to apply in the region and get asked for METV.

3/ Vietnam was not the easiest in terms of requirements (proof of travels, and only delivering singles/doubles) so far, compared to friendlier places, so again, unless recent events change things around, personally, that would not be my first choice. HCM not really an alternative as they now already only deliver singles, so not the friendliest.

• Like 1

I recently got refused an ED Visa in HCMC, I think due to three b2b double entries from Laos. Can't say for sure that was why since they wouldn't tell me a reason, but she scrutinized them before taking it back to some guy who came out and said they can't do it there, try Laos. Paperwork was all in order as far as I know.

Had heard HCMC can/have refused a visa at the officers discretion in the past, but also heard it was a fairly good place to go, so maybe I was just unlucky.

Also needed proof of onward travel for in/out there. Embassy was very quiet though, I think about 5 people there in total.

Edited by joebloggs1234
  • Like 1

I will make a comment on OP third point. The hcmc thai consulate is centrally located and easy to access from areas like district 1. The consulate itself is a breeze. No queues to speak of. Need to take hard copy of your ticket INTO Thailand. I am in hcmc as I type this. Very chilled place.

As fir new METV personally that would be great for me and some others visiting places outside los OFTEN. Could keep.getting successive visas. The people hardest hit are those working or whatever who need to do quick boarder runs.

BTW your correct about the flights. This trip was 1600b return but can pay 2500 as you suggest.

Good news about location and process - And yes if you are there on a visa run you are probably in possession of a ticket - but the hard copy I am assuming this is a photocopy if purchase with Asia online?

Jeeese 1,600 THB - Even better - I need to watch for the bargains more closely - That is a crazy price and this is probably less than going to Lao after you paid the $35 Lao Visa and flight - Brilliant!

Look, you can keep jumping the border but at what cost?

You do four trips a year and add the cost of Visa extentions.

Average trip costs me $AUD500, so that is $2000 a year. A TE Visa is $4000 a year and you have no problems and no stress. Spend some time at Chiang Mai Immigration and see how painful it has become. Have a friend with the TE Visa who is over 50 and he came with me to Immigration last time to do his 90 Day. He just walked into the office, flashed his Visa and within 2 minutes was out of there. He did not line up with the poor other sods 10 deep waiting for a number to be called. Money sure does buy privilege.

If I had to apply for a METV visa in my own home country, I am looking at $3200 a year to cover all costs as well as time out of Thailand. Like most, I have a Town House here and have to pay $400 a month for it and if I go home, it will easily be for a month as I have to do everything by post to apply for the Visa and last time I did that, it took me 18 days to get my passport back! So, I have just wasted $800 with my Town House by not being here for 2 months of the year. You may have then to also pay and show for airline tickets back and hotels, etc, etc.

No, I am starting to think I will gladly pay $2000 a year extra for a TE Visa for the next 4 years. It might seem expensive but add all the smaller hidden costs up and your saving a little bit and giving you a big headache in the purpose of it all.

Before I use to do Visa runs twice a year with my partner and we made fun out of it and travelled, drank and was merry in most of SE Asia but doing that now every three months would just wear on the nerves.

• Like 2

It is very difficult to answer these questions as we don't have the requirements of most regional embassies about METV and TR visas

1/ Nothing is official, we have info by default; ie members reporting being rejected at borders/ embassies because of too many TR visas.

It is down to each consulate/border and sometime officer. I would say most have unofficial limits, however I am aware of one consulate that has stated no limits to the number of consecutive TR Visas (but most likely will revert to limit soon, given recent events).

2/ Looks like it yes. Until people run out of embassies to apply in the region and get asked for METV.

3/ Vietnam was not the easiest in terms of requirements (proof of travels, and only delivering singles/doubles) so far, compared to friendlier places, so again, unless recent events change things around, personally, that would not be my first choice. HCM not really an alternative as they now already only deliver singles, so not the friendliest.

Will not even bother with your first 2 points. Being obvious. On did you bother reading the OP what has double or triple entry tv have a relevance. The OP referred to single entry tv. How many times have you been to hcmc consulate for a tv. The other poster mentioned an ed visa. Again irrelevant. I have been there many times and the require for single entry tv are this.

Print out of plane ticket into los. And the standard stuff. Time on passport etc.

The mist simple consulate I have been to.

Also the details 're flight costs are accurate.

If visa exempt countries it's perfect. If not still a good deal. Have you ever been to hcmc? Don't think so

Will not even bother with your first 2 points. Being obvious. On did you bother reading the OP what has double or triple entry tv have a relevance. The OP referred to single entry tv. How many times have you been to hcmc consulate for a tv. The other poster mentioned an ed visa. Again irrelevant. I have been there many times and the require for single entry tv are this.

Print out of plane ticket into los. And the standard stuff. Time on passport etc.

The mist simple consulate I have been to.

Also the details 're flight costs are accurate.

If visa exempt countries it's perfect. If not still a good deal. Have you ever been to hcmc? Don't think so

I never thought I would have to say that one day but, here we go : I am sorry that we don't have the same view as yours on HCM consulate lol biggrin.png

No I have never been to HCM, but as I said, it was only MY OPINION, a consulate that -now- already only gives singles is IN MY OPINION not friendly.

There is nothing to be upset about, I am sure HCM is a very nice place otherwise, and I am sure you had a great time there.

Some people are different from you, and have different views, is that too hard to accept?

Exactly. You have never been there. Never been to the consulate. So your advice is based on what exactly. The OP third point was about single entry tv from hcmc consulate. I suggest you in future advice on personal experience only, due to fact that second hand info is often rubbish. If and it's a big if single entry tv or METV are a future option then enjoy your trip to Bali for beach options. Stick to the OP .seems an issue for some

Exactly. You have never been there. Never been to the consulate. So your advice is based on what exactly. The OP third point was about single entry tv from hcmc consulate. I suggest you in future advice on personal experience only, due to fact that second hand info is often rubbish. If and it's a big if single entry tv or METV are a future option then enjoy your trip to Bali for beach options. Stick to the OP .seems an issue for some

Different people, different point of view, comprendo?

My advice is based on posters including yourself who reported having singles only in HCM, which is for me not a good sign.

You should just drop it because you are getting ridiculous: If you were to prevent all post non based on personal experience, you should start with moderators. They give advice all the time based on what people report.

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 1

Single entry TV's will be good for the health of serial users, they will be constantly running !smile.png

Just watch - the next thing in the firing line will be no constant back to back visas from the current batch of previously Visa friendly countries. It is going to start to get awfully expensive and all the freelance writers here are going to be in for a hell of a shock.

Times are changing right now. First the visas and now the over stayers rules are going to be next on the block with the PM. Personally, this will be a generational change and once all of this is done (with maybe a slight change to some other requirements with funding), that will bring Thailand much more up to date.

Easy days are now gone.

Guys - You both had valuable things to say in your posts - And each of you added to the subject - This is not a vote for the guy with best point wins.

Its all about contribution of information we can all use. Make the real enemy ignorance - And focus what you both did well - Giving a valuable contribution to the question.

Thank you.

That was my point, different points of views give a wider picture to the OP.

There is no right or wrong, only different insights and everyone has a right to express theirs.

• Like 1

Single entry TV's will be good for the health of serial users, they will be constantly running !smile.png

And if they had a double entry tourist visa they would still need to do the border runs to activate the second entry. Travel expenses for doing a border run or a visa run wouldn't differ by that much and if they got 30 day extensions for each entry, it would cost the same for every 90 days in-country regardless of whether they were operating from a 1, 2 or 3 entry tourist visa.

Not sure what the numbers are for those who use tourist visa runs repeatedly, but would assume the vast majority of people who come here as tourists won't be inconvenienced by either choosing to get a single entry tourist visa or the more flexible multi-entry tourist visas in their home countries. Even those who winter here each year and return to their home countries for the summer months should be unfazed by the change. Maybe some of the serial visa runners will decide to go for one of the long-stay options, whether using annual extensions or the Elite option.

• Like 1

An officer in the Thai Embassy, Vientiane just a few days ago told a friend of mine that the new multiple TR will be available from there from Nov 13th.

Also a visa run operator in Bkk has said the new multiple will be available on his trip to Vientiane. ...

I.E. - "will be available to non-Laotians" ?? Great news, if true - would mean I can spend $700 more in Thailand, instead of buying a round-trip ticket to Hawaii. Maybe that vacation I planned to Chang Mai with the gf is "on" again - she would be delighted, as would I (neither of us have been there).

Maybe they will also clear up the question of exactly what financial-proof they require for issuance. If they do, perhaps more than two, back-to-back, will be an option for those of us who can prove our income comes from abroad.

I am about to go get one of the the "last doubles" in Laos, just in case - unless and until I see an official statement confirming the METV will be issued to non-Laotians. I can see a "rumor" like this being floated to prevent a stampede - but hoping for the best.

The OP first comments, there will be no more double TR from Laos is true but..

An officer in the Thai Embassy, Vientiane just a few days ago told a friend of mine that the new multiple TR will be available from there from Nov 13th.

Also a visa run operator in Bkk has said the new multiple will be available on his trip to Vientiane.

At the Thai embassy Vientiane you can normally continuing applying for TR visas until you get the red stamp saying you can't go back there anymore. At least 2 doubles are allowed as standard, sometimes more.

My feeling going from experience is they'll allow 2 multiples back to back.

from a poster with 16 posts :-)

just curious as to why u think Laos will give farangs the new metv when Singapore and Cambodia ( not to mention a few countires in Europe) wont

have u seen this in writing

no money showed? no work? no hotel booking?

it does not affect me, but am curious how the states will handle issuing these and also if there will be any requirements other than being American.

or none at all

Edited by phuketrichard

The key to any new replacement of double and triple tv with the METV. No one really knows if they will only be issued in your passport country. It's all guess work until the details are finally released. My opinion like most is guess work. I think METV will be available at many consulates. Would be difficult to imagine any sensible alternative.

The key to any new replacement of double and triple tv with the METV. No one really knows if they will only be issued in your passport country. It's all guess work until the details are finally released. My opinion like most is guess work. I think METV will be available at many consulates. Would be difficult to imagine any sensible alternative.

Consider this.

Millions of people enjoy a holiday in Thailand. The majority only require a single entry Tourist Visa.

For those who plan and can afford to spend more time a METV obtainable in their own country would be appropriate.

What "difficulties" do you envisage if the METV is only issued in a persons own country ?

Edited by oncearugge
  • Like 1

Could be.

But METV requires you to show cash.

Also to my understanding METV will not be given back to back.

Time will tell.

Consider this.

Millions of people enjoy a holiday in Thailand. The majority only require a single entry Tourist Visa.

For those who plan and can afford to spend more time a METV obtainable in their own country would be appropriate.

What "difficulties" do you envisage if the METV is only issued in a persons own country ?

Point taken. At present I think something not to shy of 2 million Chinese tourists come to los every year. Many on two week tour as per Russia. The new rules impact this zero. They like most can come on visa exempt. The problems I'm referring to is problems for the people living here on tourist visas. This is within immigration rules. If they are forced to look elsewhere like Cambodia or Vietnam then so be it. Won't break tourism back. Tourism can be fickle. Ask Australia about Japanese many years ago. Vietnam as one example is looking at different visa rules. I think all forms of tourism needs to be encouraged. That includes folk living here legally on tv and not working. They could could up with better rules to allow "long term tourists" stay in los and at same time making work difficult.

• Like 1

Consider this.

Point taken. At present I think something not to shy of 2 million Chinese tourists come to los every year. Many on two week tour as per Russia. The new rules impact this zero. They like most can come on visa exempt. The problems I'm referring to is problems for the people living here on tourist visas. This is within immigration rules. If they are forced to look elsewhere like Cambodia or Vietnam then so be it. Won't break tourism back. Tourism can be fickle. Ask Australia about Japanese many years ago. Vietnam as one example is looking at different visa rules. I think all forms of tourism needs to be encouraged. That includes folk living here legally on tv and not working. They could could up with better rules to allow "long term tourists" stay in los and at same time making work difficult.

Does your country of origin allow "long term" tourists ?

Also a visa run operator in Bkk has said the new multiple will be available on his trip to Vientiane.

When you say "the new multiple TR", I guess you are referring what others are calling the new 6-month METV? Which has to be applied for in one's home country?

If so, how many posters here on HA have Laos as their home country?

No Australia does not allow long term tourists. I think Thailand has some of the most welcoming rules for people wanting to come to los. Personally it does not affect me as living here on extensions of stay

based on retirement. I guess if the view is that people staying in los for much longer than the definition of a tourist. As I understand it presently there is no limit to tv. Perhaps immigration law was lame from conception. If Thailand wants stricter visa laws laws fine. With regards places like Australia I have had to do 3 extensive applications for 4 visits for my thai gf.