How Best To Revert To Threads After Reading One

lotus eater

When I've finished reading the posts on a thread - or writing a post on one - I can find no quick way to get back to the page I was on. I have to hit the back button 3 to 6 times - page by page - depending on whther I had been just reading something or had actually wrtten something. Is there no quicker way? (In case it's relevant I use an apple ibook.)

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

tywais's was over my head - much too computor illiterate to even know the terminology he used. but my thanks anyway.

jdinasia's & daleyboy's suggestions did take me to the forum in which the thread belonged. but actually that wasn't the page i was necessarily on. however thanks, again.

george's was almost spot on, in that it took me to the new threads page which is usually where i start from - except it took me to page 1. well i can choose quickly enough from there the page i was on - unless it's more than a handful of pages up, in which case i can't get to it in one hit. still this will be a big step forward from what i had been doing previously. thanks george.

I'm afraid I need to withdraw my post. Here's the problem.

Say I start with my 'view new posts' page, and find 6 pages of them. Browsing through, I decide to look at a post in page 1. Afterwards, following george's advice I hit the 'view new posts' button - well I find a new page - a sole page. ie the site treats my reversion as in fact a fresh return, and the 5 pages I never got to are gone. Well not really, because I got to them by my old method of hitting the back arrow umpteen times.

Don't all of you start with the 'view new posts' button/page? And then have my problem? I do see that if you start - and work your way through - particular forums then jdinasia's or daleyboy's method is fine.

Don't all of you start with the 'view new posts' button/page? And then have my problem? I do see that if you start - and work your way through - particular forums then jdinasia's or daleyboy's method is fine.

I believe it depends on the time of day that you did this. If it is just after midnight, the listing now changes from "Today" to "Yesterday" and starts the new topics as "Today" - basically resetting the counter.

At the bottom of the page there is a scroll box that says "Get active topics for" and you can select Today, or This Week and others. Probably only need to do this when the 'counter' gets reset.

There is a downward facing arrow to the right side of the back button in IE. If you click on the arrow, rather than the button itself, it will list the last several pages you have looked at. Just scroll down the relevant one, click and you are back where you were before you read six pages of one thread.

I hope I understood correctly what you were asking. :o

I believe it depends on the time of day that you did this. If it is just after midnight, the listing now changes from "Today" to "Yesterday" and starts the new topics as "Today" - basically resetting the counter.

At the bottom of the page there is a scroll box that says "Get active topics for" and you can select Today, or This Week and others. Probably only need to do this when the 'counter' gets reset.

tywais, I'm afraid that you've lost me again. The bottom of my page looks like the one reproduced by daleyboy above. the only scroll box there has nothing sayin "get active topics for". Apologies for my ineptitude.

There is a downward facing arrow to the right side of the back button in IE. If you click on the arrow, rather than the button itself, it will list the last several pages you have looked at. Just scroll down the relevant one, click and you are back where you were before you read six pages of one thread.

I hope I understood correctly what you were asking. :o

Goldenbead.......eureka. Though my back button works a little differently (I use safari on apple ibook, not IE) I can do the equivalent and thus jump those several pages in one go. Many thanks.

You can also use Firefox in Mac, the tab thing is wonderful. Right now, I have 5 different tabs open. One from "view new posts" and 4 different topics I plan on reading.

check out firefox at www.firefox.com -they'll give you a screenshot so you can get an idea of what we are talking about.

You can also use Firefox in Mac, the tab thing is wonderful. Right now, I have 5 different tabs open. One from "view new posts" and 4 different topics I plan on reading.

check out firefox at www.firefox.com -they'll give you a screenshot so you can get an idea of what we are talking about.

I'll do that, sounds interesting. And thanks. (You guess correctly that I didn't have a clue what 'firefox' meant.)

I'll do that, sounds interesting. And thanks. (You guess correctly that I didn't have a clue what 'firefox' meant.)

Sorry about that, occupational hazard. :o

Firefox is my browser of choice. It works great on my PowerBook G4, and the tabs thing is so convenient!

I use a g4 ibook.

So you have found firefox preferable to safari in every way? Or is safari sometimes better - in any way? I presume moving between the two would be easy.

I ask these questions because, as you will have gathered, I am not a natural nor a quick learner with computors and having become familiar with safari I am loath to switch - and if do I want to retain an easy return.

As yet I haven't downloaded firefox - though am on the brink of doing it. Is it going to take up a lot of my hard disk memory? Having moved my cd s to itunes for my ipod my ibook hard disk memory is at a premium.