U.S. aviation regulator in Thailand to inspect safety standards

webfact

U.S. aviation regulator in Thailand to inspect safety standards
REUTERS

BANGKOK: -- U.S. authorities are in Thailand to inspect progress made in aviation safety standards after it told the country to address shortcomings or face a downgrade, the transport minister said on Monday.

The three-day inspection comes after the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) gave Thai aviation authorities 65 days in July to take corrective measures over what it said were critical omissions in its commercial aviation safety standards.

Thailand faces a downgrade from a category 1 to a category 2 if it does not show improvement.

That could impact the industry's credibility after the United Nations' aviation agency downgraded safety ratings for Thailand's civil aviation body in June.

Carriers could also face a flight ban to the United States - although no Thai-registered airline currently operates direct flights to the United States.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/26/us-thailand-aviation-idUSKCN0SK0GE20151026

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2015-10-27

So If I got this correctly No Thai registered Airline has direct flights to US? Last time I looked Los Angeles was in the US wasn't it? I thought THAI airline flies there and to Las Vegas also or maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. I could be wrong. FAA only governs flights that fly in to US airspace.

So If I got this correctly No Thai registered Airline has direct flights to US? Last time I looked Los Angeles was in the US wasn't it? I thought THAI airline flies there and to Las Vegas also or maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. I could be wrong. FAA only governs flights that fly in to US airspace.

You mean via Narita Japan, they did say direct flights, however the Narita flight would be under FAA rules in US air space

For the amount of air traffic in /out of Thailand this just shows the standards that are set by the Thai Administrators , this critical failure to reach any sort of good practice seems to be entrenched in the Thai way of life, although several sectors are up with world standards, like export, the rest seem to muddle along, Thailand needs to start taking a good long hard look at itself if it wishes to remain at international standards levels , Thailand , you don't seem to realize that a bad airline mishap at BKK swampy will lead to such a mammoth in cancellations of travellers, the bankruptcy of air carriers, if the truth came out about the DCA , that one of Thailand's main industry would take years to recover, to be even writing a blog in TV forum about the DCA shows the failure of management in an industry that isn't kind to failure. coffee1.gif

One wishes the FAA a pleasant and productive visit, the ideal outcome would be a 'qualified pass' for the DCA, but which encourages continued real-effort in improvements, perhaps therefore a further-extension of the review-period might be in the best interests of safety ?

July 23 2015 Thai announced the end of its remaining US flights. LAX was it last US destination.

"You see, in the USA we keep track of aircraft maintenance records, for the life of the aircraft."

"Oh you big boss USA! What kind of car you have? I have Toyota Hilux, never change brakes, make funny noise now."

"Training people properly to perform complex aircraft maintenance is essential."

"I give job to brother, he know tractor from farm. My cousin fly plane. Buddha like him"

"Tell me, what are those small houses near the end of the runway?"

"House make bad spirits happy, they live there. Or they make plane not stop in time. Very important for safety."

"Well thank you for this time together. We will inform you of our decision about the downgrade from a category 1 to a category 2."

"You want big money now? How much you need? Want to see "Ping Pong show"? No come back, only as tourist OK?"

Edited by NCC1701A

The US aviation industry has one of the worst safety records in the world. Why not have a country like Australia who have a good safety record do the assessing. Just a thought! I am not saying Thai airlines don't have issues but make sure they are scrutinized properly.

The US aviation industry has one of the worst safety records in the world. Why not have a country like Australia who have a good safety record do the assessing. Just a thought! I am not saying Thai airlines don't have issues but make sure they are scrutinized properly.

Australia? Didn't know they had planes...

I know that the Americans make some of the best airliners ever. They should have more skills than the Aussies . I would be suprised if The Thais do not get downgraded ,. So what is being done to check the DOMESTIC flights ?

July 23 2015 Thai announced the end of its remaining US flights. LAX was it last US destination.

Now there's a coincidence.....

Australia? Didn't know they had planes...

Let's assume that you are joking, OK.

However, if you weren't, if I was an Aussie, I'd be as mad as Mick without his knife.

Why? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/australiaandpacific/australia/11332341/The-worlds-safest-airline-Qantas-again.html

But hey, you knew that anyway. Right?