Dishonest Foreigner Recommended Lawyer

Marcos989

I hired Mr. X ( lawyer) for services he advertised he was competant and licensed to perform.

He received my down payment and has so far refused to communicate with me (4 weeks) except for a text message saying he would return to Phuket in two days (two weeks ago).

It appears his "office" is shut-down" he nor no one representing him are answering phones or email and some contact numbers not functioning.

Any suggestions?

I currently reside in Phuket, I am not Thai.

Can I legally without criminal or civil difficulties post a link to his website here?

Can I legally without criminal or civil difficulties post his Contract here?

Yes, I am aware of :http://www.thailawforum.com/articles/charununlegal3.html

Cheers.

Edited by Marcos989

Be aware that some of the storefront "Law Office" operations may not have anyone actually licensed to practice law. At best, they may be paralegals, and in some cases just someone with "connections" at the common expat touchpoints who can get things done (immigration, amphoe, land office, etc).

I'm sure that many members here have a story about a bent Thai lawyer. I know I do.

Lodge a complaint at

1. Phuket Damrongtham office at Phuket Provincial Hall -

2. The Police Station.

And with the Lawyer's Council and the Office of Consumer Protection

It would be helpful to provide links to those organisations you say the OP should lodge complaints with ?

I assume you have the links to hand /

Thank-you to all that attempted to help me.

I did not name anybody. I am well aware of defamation law so I have done nothing against the law and need to remove nothing I have written here.

Upon advisement and reflection, I will not post anything that identifies or leads to the identification of this individual.

I am leaving this OP here as an aid to future foreigners that may find themselves in this predicament.

Edited by Marcos989

Thank-you to all that attempted to help me.

I did not name anybody. I am well aware of defamation law so I have done nothing against the law and need to remove nothing I have written here.

Upon advisement and reflection, I will not post anything that identifies or leads to the identification of this individual.

I am leaving this OP here as an aid to future foreigners that may find themselves in this predicament.

Will you be lodging complaints as I advised ?

i would never trust anyone.......giving them money for FUTURE services, while in Thailand...

when every story involves a scam with money, must take the highest precaution...

i wouldn't even believe anyone was who they say they are.....

Some people seem to mix/move in strange circles.

I have used legal services in Phuket without any difficulty.

No up front payments, a professionally delivered service and an itemised invoice on completion.

No extravagant or "inflated charges" and very good value when compared to legal fees charged in the West.

To start with I do not believe there are any foreigners who are licenced lawyers in Thailand as it does require passing Thai bar, ie super fluent in Thai .

Some operate legal firms using Thai lawyers or subcontracting to Thai firm.

To start with I do not believe there are any foreigners who are licenced lawyers in Thailand as it does require passing Thai bar, ie super fluent in Thai .

And some feature regularly in Andrew Drummonds websitewink.png

Lodge a complaint at

1. Phuket Damrongtham office at Phuket Provincial Hall -

2. The Police Station.

And with the Lawyer's Council and the Office of Consumer Protection

It would be helpful to provide links to those organisations you say the OP should lodge complaints with ?

I assume you have the links to hand /

For the Office of Consumer Protection try the local Tessaban. For the Lawyer's Council Google is your friend.

It's an occupation reserved for Thais. Any foreigner advertising themselves as such is a liar. They can be " counselors" but I would only trust such foreigners that are partnered with real Thai lawyers in registered companies-otherwise there is no accountability if they screw you over.

Ditto for realtors.

When AEC opens up in two months, attorneys from other ASEAN member countries will be able to practice. They will have to pass the Thai Bar exam, which should be available in English according to the ASEAN rules. Unlikely to happen.

Edited by FBlue72

And some feature regularly in Andrew Drummonds websitewink.png

Which is blocked by MICT. All one needs to know about Thailand is in that one action. Any prospective Thai expats should have a good read of that site, and always remember information on this forum is also heavily censored-if it weren't then it would be blocked, too and we'd have to use proxies to view it.

post-229125-0-71504100-1446340480_thumb.

DrDave is right. Almost all the shops here that offer legal services are not lawyers that have a Bar number and cannot argue cases in court. These companies will sub contract to the cheapest and often most inexperienced lawyer they can find. Its the same with Thai company start up. All there work can be done without them for a lot less than they charge.

Thank's still for the advice and comments. Some good info.

In response to the questions since my last visit:

1. I am not filing any charges at this time, I have a meeting scheduled with the Thai lawyer soon.

2. Agreed about trusting people, especially the natives.

3. I do not agree with not speaking up and alerting others to dishonesty and poor performance. That only aids the liars, thieves and con artists. You can complain

about unfair practices without identifying the source or contravening forum rules.

4. If I have been unclear excuse me. The Thai lawyer I contracted was from a list of lawyers recommended for foreigners. I am the foreigner.

5. After my experiences with Brazilian courts and lawyers I have learned that justice is illusive and difficult if not impossible to obtain in some countries.

Edited by Marcos989

Thank's still for the advice and comments. Some good info.

In response to the questions since my last visit:

1. I am not filing any charges at this time, I have a meeting scheduled with the Thai lawyer soon.

2. Agreed about trusting people, especially the natives.

3. I do not agree with not speaking up and alerting others to dishonesty and poor performance. That only aids the liars, thieves and con artists. You can complain

about unfair practices without identifying the source or contravening forum rules.

4. If I have been unclear excuse me. The Thai lawyer I contracted was from a list of lawyers recommended for foreigners. I am the foreigner.

5. After my experiences with Brazilian courts and lawyers I have learned that justice is illusive and difficult if not impossible to obtain in some countries.

"After my experiences with Brazilian courts and lawyers I have learned that justice is illusive and difficult if not impossible to obtain in some countries." - and Thailand is one of those countries. biggrin.png