Does an Extension of a Type-O Retirement Visa Initiates a New 90 Day Reporting Date.

I extended/renewed a previously obtained Retirement Visa on Aug 3, 2015. My prior 90 day reporting required under the previous visa (which expired and I renewed on Aug 3) was due on September 12, 2015. When I renewed the visa on Aug 3rd I asked the officer when I should report for my 90 days, and he told me in 90 days - but he did not give me the customary "appointment notice". So when I went today for my 90 day reporting, which is 87 days since I obtained my new Visa on Aug 3rd, they told me I was late and fined me 2,000 baht. They insisted that the renewed visa doesn't start the 90 day count anew. To say that this absurd is an understatement. After all, I did report my address at the time I renewed/extended my visa, and the officer even told me that I should report in 90 days. What gives?

• 90 day reports and extension of stay renewals are not connected.

Some IO's will reset the 90 day report count at the same time you do an extension, but if they do that they give a next report date slip. But that's them doing people a favour and not procedure.

You were late with the report so the fine was correct.

Maybe something got lost in translation!

• Like 1

"They" are correct.

Renewing an extension of stay(Not a visa) does not reset the 90 day clock unless the Immigration Officer specifically does this and gives you a new reporting date.

90 day reports are required for every 90+ days spent in Thailand

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Yes, something definitely went wrong in the translation. To me it made sense since the new extension effectively served as a notification, so it made perfect sense that it would initiate a new 90 day count. After all, what if my initial 90 day reporting date fell several days after the renewal date - I would have to come back again a few days later ... doesn't make sense to me! But then again - this is Thailand, and maybe that's why I love it.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Yes, something definitely went wrong in the translation. To me it made sense since the new extension effectively served as a notification, so it made perfect sense that it would initiate a new 90 day count. After all, what if my initial 90 day reporting date fell several days after the renewal date - I would have to come back again a few days later ... doesn't make sense to me! But then again - this is Thailand, and maybe that's why I love it.

You can report within 15 days before or 7 days after the due date and apply for an extension up to 30/45 days early. So with some planning you can usually time a visit to be able to do both on the same visit.