Getting eye glasses repaired in Chiang Mai

elgordo38

My favorite pair of glasses broke at the little screw that holds the lense in. It snapped and the lense fell out. It is possible to unscrew the top part of the screw as the head is there but the bottom part of the screw is imbedded in bottom. I can see two alternatives have the bottom part of the screw drilled out and re threaded for a new screw or put a tiny screw with a bolt on the bottom after drilling out the bottom part of the old screw. A third option might be to put a small slot on the bottom half of the screw and turn it out. I live in Chiang Mai and know that 75% of the eye glass places will throw up their hands and say "no can do you buy new frame" There must be some hidden jewel of a repair man in the city that can accomplish the task as I described it there always is but it is a treasure hunt to find him. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Superglue? temp fix possibility until you can hunt down said "gem" of a repairman.

As you have specified Chiang Mai, lets move this to that forum for local input and knowledge.

Thanks Charlie. I am keeping SG in mind as a last resort. I have a fear of smearing some on the lenses. In the end its a bit of a challenge for me to try to do the impossible here. Makes life interesting. I find glasses more expensive here than back home. I have a friend who was in the eye glass business all his life and he tells me the markup on glasses is phenomenal.

When I have had problems with broken/ damaged glasses I have gone to several of the standard optician shops and always found them to be very helpful. Why draw the immediate conclusion that they wont try to help without trying them out? Seems a bit like declaring someone guilty without a trial!

When I have had problems with broken/ damaged glasses I have gone to several of the standard optician shops and always found them to be very helpful. Why draw the immediate conclusion that they wont try to help without trying them out? Seems a bit like declaring someone guilty without a trial!

Hi PostmanPat were you really a postman? I was. I have run into similar problems when dealing with fixing things here and this is a little more complicated than normal. My last outing last week was a the computer repair shop. The lady said her technician would be right down and he speaks excellent English Weeeell he did not. I had the problem of the fan running right from turning the machine on and thought well the back should be pulled and the machine cleaned out weeell just not that easy. Its an Acer Home Theatre and they are tricky so I would not attempt it myself. After 3 comments of no can do in Thai to my g/f we finally agreed that yes they were capable of cleaning the computer at a cost of 500 bahts. My purpose on posting the eye glass problem is that I do not wish to spend the time going from one shop to another before finding a knowledgeable repair person. My luck is always the 10th man principle as the first 9 are well "no can fix you buy new"

please read this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/643586-for-fans-of-sawang-optical/

Maybe they'll tell you if they can or not, if you make a call

Address Nimmanhemin rd. (Opposite the entrance of Nimmanhemin soi 1), Chiang Mai, Thailand 50200 Phone 053 223 440 Website http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sawang-Optical-Chiangmai/433281173429037 More info Sawang Optical (ร้านแว่นตา แสวง ออฟติคอล) Open: Mon - Sat: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm Closed on Sundays

Before I discovered the gem of "The Vision Center" a few years ago, I took a pair of glasses to Top Charoen on Moon Muang for repair of the frame. They were very helpful and told me that they could only be repaired in Bangkok and that it would take 2-3 weeks. I said O.K. and left them. Well it ended up taking closer to 5 weeks before I got them back. But they were very helpful, did an O.K. repair and refused to charge me anything because of the delay.

Earlier this year I had the screw eye break off from one arm of my work safety glasses. I took them into the Vision centre on Ratvithi Road. 2 days and 200B for repair, they have been in constant industrial environment use for the past 2 months with out any problem.