PM affirms careful studies being conducted on TPP agreement

rooster59

PM affirms careful studies being conducted on TPP agreement

BANGKOK, 30 October 2015 (NNT) – Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has indicated steady progress in the implementation of various trade agreements within ASEAN while saying the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement is being heavily debated by concerned agencies.

As part of his address to the Thai people on the weekly TV program, Prime Minister Prayut touched on the progress of trade agreements being pushed forward by ASEAN member nations. He stated that the ASEAN Free Trade Area (AFTA) established earlier among the ten member countries and the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) made with the six dialogue partners are both bearing fruit gradually. A meeting on ASEAN’s cooperation with other countries has also been scheduled for the coming week.

In regard to the TPP agreement, for which negotiations were initiated by the United States, Gen Prayut revealed that the government is conferring with representatives of Thai industrial, agricultural and private sectors about the matter. Thorough deliberations are underway in order to determine the pros and cons and find measures to cope with the risks involved.

The premier insisted that any decision whether or not Thailand would join the TPP would come in the form of a joint consensus among all related sectors. Should any repercussions arise, all sides would need to take responsibility and come together in search of solutions.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-31 footer_n.gif

As an American living in Thailand- I hope Thailand rejects the TPP outright. It will increase prices considerably for Thai consumers who need essential goods such as Pharmaceuticals. It is nothing more than materialistic capitalism at it worse. President Obama's endoresement if this treaty shows exactly what he is- a bought and paid for politician. Good riddance.

How can they decide if its good or not for the country without the country knowing whats in the agreement. The TPP is the biggest corporate heist in history. If it wasnt a heist the contents would not have been kept secret.

If the details are so secret, how then can you make the claim that the TPP is the biggest heist in history? Were you given a copy upon which to offer your uninformed claim? Thailand is not a part of the TPP process. Thailand was not invited and is not presently up for consideration.

Are you aware that there are rules to follow with international treaties.? Rule number 1 ist that the agreements must be finalized. Then they must be submitted to the participating governments and then typically submitted to their parliamentary bodies for votes. In New Zealand and Canada this necessitates activities such as committee hearings and public consultations, parliamentary debate/discussion and parliamentary vote. In the USA, there will be Senate hearings and votes in the Senate. All of this activity will be recorded with lots and lots of documentation and supporting information. The treaty information will be readily available once the agreement is reached in principle.

How can they decide if its good or not for the country without the country knowing whats in the agreement. The TPP is the biggest corporate heist in history. If it wasnt a heist the contents would not have been kept secret.

I heard a personal interview with Obama on Marketplace on NPR (APM).

And he said of course the negotiations were kept secret..

Can we see it now? Of course.

I hope

The TPP is a wolf in sheep's clothing. PLEASE do not support the hegemony of the US banks and Wall Street.

Thailand will lose much more than it gains, and it will be blackmail.

Malaysia was taken off the third tier in human trafficking because they signed the TPP.

PLEASE DON'T DO THIS.

Pretty please, with sugar on top. Some Wall Street boys, like Shkreli, are already raising drug prices in anticipation of this deal.

Let them threaten, they need Thailand for more than just rice. Just because the economy is slow, doesn't mean you should kill a gnat with a sledgehammer.

PLEASE DON'T DO THIS.

While Thailand has TPP in MIOD, ( Mulling It Over Dept.), for 3 - 10 years, others are already making contractual agreements which will be filled by thetime Thailand decides it is good if...... they ever do !

I see Thailand as a land of followers not leaders - in any regard.

OH! with the exception of real road fatalities and police ineptness.

So far only the US vassals Japan, Philippines, Malaysia and Singapore have joined. And yes if Thailand signs TPP they will be at the mercy of the imperialists.

While I would hardly call Japan, The Philippines, Malaysia and Singapore US Vassals. I could understand historically why you may consider The Philippines, and ex colony a vassal state which it is not but the others? Two of them members of the British Commonwealth? Also, Your count is off. 11 countries Australia, Canada, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Peru, The United States, Vietnam, Chile, Brunei, Singapore and New Zealand all signed on and now Indonesia has indicated it intends to join. I'm not promoting the agreement just quoting the facts.

So far only the US vassals Japan, Philippines, Malaysia and Singapore have joined. And yes if Thailand signs TPP they will be at the mercy of the imperialists.

While I would hardly call Japan, The Philippines, Malaysia and Singapore US Vassals. I could understand historically why you may consider The Philippines, and ex colony a vassal state which it is not but the others? Two of them members of the British Commonwealth? Also, Your count is off. 11 countries Australia, Canada, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Peru, The United States, Vietnam, Chile, Brunei, Singapore and New Zealand all signed on and now Indonesia has indicated it intends to join. I'm not promoting the agreement just quoting the facts.

Australia has not yet signed ... LNP politicians are mindful that Australians are more aware of their duplicity and fearful of federal election in a year's time ...