Should i go Black mat colour ?

I've always assumed that any farang who has a black car is new to the tropics.

They heat up much more rapidly than lighter colours. Matte black even more so.

Bung the AC on and it's cool in a few seconds. My beautiful black car spends most of its life parked under our house in the shade.

I always assume people who think black cars get noticeably hotter than any other car has never owned one.

Why should that happen, doesn't the interior temperature of a vehicle result mainly from being heated through the glass (and to a much lesser extent through the insulated roof)?

The interior structure of a car is defined by the doors and the f/r bulkheads. The doors do not transmit heat directly to the interior as they are hollow structures several cms thick and are insulated by the door panels. The front and rear bulkheads are also insulated and are always out of direct sunlight.

Edited by Alration

Why should that happen, doesn't the interior temperature of a vehicle result mainly from being heated through the windows and to a much lesser extent through the insulated roof?

I really don't know, but I did see a program where the differences between a white car and the same model in black heated up a lot more. I don't know how good the roof insulation would be, but it would need to be quite thick to have an effect. In a house in the tropics it is normally 15cm (6inches). Tinting of windows also has quite an effect. The dash of my car doesn't get anywhere near as hot as pre-tinting.

I really don't know, but I did see a program where the differences between a white car and the same model in black heated up a lot more. I don't know how good the roof insulation would be, but it would need to be quite thick to have an effect. In a house in the tropics it is normally 15cm (6inches). Tinting of windows also has quite an effect. The dash of my car doesn't get anywhere near as hot as pre-tinting.

And yet, chances are the film you put on it is....

drumroll.....

black :)

Some people are strange. Why would you want to cover something that already looks good? My wife took the new Isuzu to town a couple days ago and came back home with ugly plastic seat covers, a steering wheel cover and floor mats on top of the standard optional Isuzu floor mats. She got upset with me when I asked her why she wanted to throw her money away on junk.

It's strange when your own wife's the stranger.< + > Seems that she ran into some salesmen who're usually in front of shopping malls and sell their junk to mostly female customers.

Don't be so hard on her because I assume that she thought she did something you would appreciate. She thought cars need lingerie too..... facepalm.gif

It could be worse and she could come back with an amazing "Hello Kitty" interior." giggle.gif

Don't let such things bring you down. You're not alone.......Life's too short. thumbsup.gif

post-158336-0-89931900-1446374952_thumb.

Bung the AC on and it's cool in a few seconds. My beautiful black car spends most of its life parked under our house in the shade.

I always assume people who think black cars get noticeably hotter than any other car has never owned one.

Yep, like they can really tell the difference between 110 degrees and 120? Hot is damn hot, no matter what, that's why A/C. Though I'll admit I'm adverse to owning a dark colored car without a sun roof, when I first get in I open that to vent and with the A/C cools down almost immediately, the really ironic thing is Thailand has far more covered parking lots then here in Florida with the same amount of sun, I really wish they had more covered lots, they could build them with solar panels on the top and get a really good benefit out of the space as well as convenience for their customers, they'd more then pay for themselves that way..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Matt looks crap to me.....BUT, one must do what one wants to do....thumbsup.gif

Live and let live and all that... coffee1.gif

Just wondering why it's called a "black market" when it's not really legal. It's really difficult to see a black guy in a black car on a black day....facepalm.gif

Yep, like they can really tell the difference between 110 degrees and 120? Hot is damn hot, no matter what, that's why A/C. Though I'll admit I'm adverse to owning a dark colored car without a sun roof, when I first get in I open that to vent and with the A/C cools down almost immediately, the really ironic thing is Thailand has far more covered parking lots then here in Florida with the same amount of sun, I really wish they had more covered lots, they could build them with solar panels on the top and get a really good benefit out of the space as well as convenience for their customers, they'd more then pay for themselves that way..

Mythbuster's did a show on the black car vs white car heating up in the sun.

Yep the black got hotter, quicker. The overall difference though was 5 Deg C (or a figure like that).

But yeah.... Damn hot or damn fookin hot..... my ass cannot tell the difference.

Devil ! Dont show this to charlies who think that jap cars are the best in rhe wo4ld !!!

I think it has more to do with the age of the posters. Most of them must be misty eyed for their Model T or Standard 8 in gloss black. Flat colours, not just black but green and orange can look great on the right type of car. Usually high end sports models, not the cheapo Eco cars usually discussed here.. Open your minds to something new..

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I had a black Toyota pickup when I was living in a condo in Jomtien. There was no covered parking. On a bright sunny day. I had to open both doors for a while before I could stand to even get in it. My next vehicle was called platinum color and yes it made a big difference. It got hot inside too, but nothing like the black one. At home now, I have covered parking but when going somewhere, it's hard to find a shady place to park. No more black vehicles for me.

I had a black Toyota pickup when I was living in a condo in Jomtien. There was no covered parking. On a bright sunny day. I had to open both doors for a while before I could stand to even get in it. My next vehicle was called platinum color and yes it made a big difference. It got hot inside too, but nothing like the black one. At home now, I have covered parking but when going somewhere, it's hard to find a shady place to park. No more black vehicles for me.

The biggest problem I have with the black paint is getting missus to wash it enough. Had a similar problem with burgundy paint too...

Yes, that too. The black looks great but keeping them looking clean is a big job. The light colored cars can be pretty dirty before they look real dirty. A long time ago, a guy told me that if you have a light colored car and keep the wheels clean, the whole car looks pretty clean.