Fluro Wiring

carlyai

Maybe another stupid question, sorry.

I have these Thai fluros that are internally wired white and black.

So, I presume that white is neutral and black is active or line, but I'm not sure if the person who wired it confirmed to any wiring colour rules.

To switch the fluro on, I place the switch in series with the black lead, therefore switching active.

Or, how do I know I'm switching active with a fluro?

Please don't tell me it doesn't matter, as I'm all about doing the correct think hammered home to me on this forum. Which is great by the way.

Yeah, I know, stupid question.

As long as I switch the active coming in from the CU it doesn't matter. I kept looking at it from the fluro back not from the Cu in. Stupid.

Sorry to waste your time.

Moderator, can you please delete this topic?

Had to Google that to get florescent light and yes you are right it makes a difference. Buy a simple neon screwdriver and touch to the switch screw/wire - it should light when you hold on the ground portion (you can test in an outlet if you have never used to get the hang of it). Very cheap and useful thing to have.

neon_test_lamp.jpgNEON_NEW.jpg

Had to Google that to get florescent light and yes you are right it makes a difference. Buy a simple neon screwdriver and touch to the switch screw/wire - it should light when you hold on the ground portion (you can test in an outlet if you have never used to get the hang of it). Very cheap and useful thing to have.

neon_test_lamp.jpgNEON_NEW.jpg

Hi thanks Lopburi3.

Sorry to waste your time, but I think I answered my own question above.

I have a wiring plan for my shed wiring and all good when I follow it, not need to ask stupid questions on TV, but I have added some extra fluros outside the shed and didn't draw that on the plan, hence when looking at the fluro and the black and white internal wiring, I was concentrating on that instead of thinking of the wiring coming in from the CU.sad.png

Guess you just turn on/off at the CU or know the wire from there that is hot so will use that - if you use the wrong wire on those type of lights can get very spooky with lights coming on a bit even with switch turned off so even more than a safety concern to get the right wire. The only bad questions are those not asked.

Archived