Removing the street vendors . what is this point?

drronnie

There's a definite split between foreigners who occasionally have to put up with vendors and those that live with them daily. For my part, when I decided to buy my condo five years ago, I really liked the wide sidewalks right outside with nice new benches. That's quite unusual, I thought. Not one year later, vendors had swapped the area, even repurposing the public benches as part of their stalls. I'd love to know how this racket works - presumably the local government builds the sidewalks but do the vendors rent from them or is there a 'sidewalk-mafia' they have to pay?

It's annoying having to walk under the lowly-slung tarpaulins or venturing onto the road. Thais seems to like it and it's their country after all. My guess is that there's some sort of protection racket going on where vendors are extorted to keep their patch. I have asked some of the shopkeepers in the nearby Tesco mall that I'm friendly with how much they pay and its eye-watering the amount of rent they have to pay. No idea how they sell enough to turn a profit. There's a toy shop I often take my son to and the guy there said he pays 15,000 baht per month for what is basically an 8 square foot area. God knows how he sells enough toys to cover the rent.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At some point you need to have and enforce reasonable regulations. How about every sidewalk on a major thoroughfare (e.g. Suk) must have at least 2 meters of unobstructed walkway. Those cops who occasionally do raids will consistently shut down anyone doing business in the safe zone. I suppose you'd need to mark the sidewalk.

It's basically a "collective rationality" or "regime" problem. Rich societies are good at solving these kinds of problem - which is why they'e rich - and poor societies aren't, which is a large part of why they're poor.

Every individual Moroccan carpet seller has an incentive to bug the crap out of you on the particular occasion that they have you in front of them because it marginally increases the chance that you'll buy something. The sum total of them all doing that is fewer tourists and a worse life than they could have had, with more stress and more work. If they all agree to stop bugging people, and it was enforced, they'd be better off, but there's no enforcement so no agreement is possible.

If all Thai street sellers agreed to the imposition of a regime that meant i) there always has to be space for two people to pass, and ii) there can't be anything below 1.86 meters, they'd have more footfall, more visitors and more revenue. But no such agreement is possible, so they have to settle for a position that's further away from "Pareto optimal".

Messrs

M.R.L Ogic Esq

A.N. Alretentive BSc

Edited by Craig krup

At some point you need to have and enforce reasonable regulations. How about every sidewalk on a major thoroughfare (e.g. Suk) must have at least 2 meters of unobstructed walkway. Those cops who occasionally do raids will consistently shut down anyone doing business in the safe zone. I suppose you'd need to mark the sidewalk.

There are regulations. The problem are the BMA staff and police leasing off the pedestrian area. The very people tasked with managing the footpaths are wrecking them for personal profit and will force your family out into the traffic all day long if they could.

The cigarette police scammers, the human trafficking beggar gang, con artists, vendors selling illegal goods... all contributing to the fine folks at BMA & Police.

Edited by RidgeRunner

What I at first liked about Thailand, is that you can find cheap and luxury withiin the same area, so that everyone can enjoy the pleasure of sharing the same environment .

Now if it becomes all normalized, sanitized and exclusive, then the atmosphere will be less amazing, and more discriminating.

It's also important for people who work hard to make a living to have access to the areas where they'll will be able to touch a lot of customers and meet everyone's taste and wallet.

Sharing public space and turning it multifunctionnal depennding on the time of the day is something thais do with great creativity .

Prices will stay low. Those hiso Thais tend to spend money on items that make them look good, but still get by on cheap food.

So true about hiso. Wifes aunty lives in a 20 million plus baht house and all the trimmings and lives on 20 baht meals. But while going to buy the 20 or 30 baht meal she will take the money out of a 30,000 plus baht handbag. Its all about face and showing off. bah.gif

20 million is not hiso. I know a family in Bangkok with a 1 billion (B) baht house and they don't consider themselves hiso.

Anyway I agree that Thai street food is extremely unhealthy. Sure, there are some healthy options but these are usually markets, not street stalls.

What I at first liked about Thailand, is that you can find cheap and luxury withiin the same area, so that everyone can enjoy the pleasure of sharing the same environment .

Now if it becomes all normalized, sanitized and exclusive, then the atmosphere will be less amazing, and more discriminating.

It's also important for people who work hard to make a living to have access to the areas where they'll will be able to touch a lot of customers and meet everyone's taste and wallet.

Sharing public space and turning it multifunctionnal depennding on the time of the day is something thais do with great creativity .

Prices will stay low. Those hiso Thais tend to spend money on items that make them look good, but still get by on cheap food.

So true about hiso. Wifes aunty lives in a 20 million plus baht house and all the trimmings and lives on 20 baht meals. But while going to buy the 20 or 30 baht meal she will take the money out of a 30,000 plus baht handbag. Its all about face and showing off. bah.gif
20 million is not hiso. I know a family in Bangkok with a 1 billion (B) baht house and they don't consider themselves hiso.

Anyway I agree that Thai street food is extremely unhealthy. Sure, there are some healthy options but these are usually markets, not street stalls.

Hiso in TH is an attitude more so than it is an actuality.

Some years ago, people came to experience Thailand; now, they come to change it to resemble whatever stuck-up, prig-filled sh!t-hole they came from.

Sad.

They might want that, but they have no influence over it, this is a Thai thing driven by Thais so it seems the Thais themselves want to change it. (of course not those that stood to profit from it)

The simple idea of people here stating that Thai food is good for them, is ridiculous, there are plenty of fat Thai's in this country.

Apparently some people prefer their foods cooked with questionable ingredients, and feel it taste better, but that is just a theory,

especially when you watch how much the Thai's depend on MSG for what they state is taste good ingredient, and that's exactly what is supposed to make you brain think; that is taste good. It also helps preserve food to some degree.

If there's any question about how great their food really is, just walk around a Thai Market,

where all the meats & poultry are strung out everywhere, and take in that great aroma...

now after about half an hour,

think to yourself, what you want to eat, now that you've built up a healthy appetite?

The locals state that eating food that isn't so preserved and clean only makes you stronger.

Really?

Perhaps that's why when I look at Thai's the same age as me,

it's easy to see they look 10 years + more than I.

Our bodies will fight off what ever we throw at it,

but by doing so, we are taxing our bodies even more,

which results in us aging before your true time,

it that really worth that quick snack we grab on the sidewalk?

Now people will compare this to western food, as they like to put it,

but we are not talking about other foods, we are talking about or I am writing about the street foods,

sold in Thailand, which are sold on the side of the road, with all the great seasoning of the street dust,

and fumes off those beautiful buses that drive by every 5 minutes.

What's not to love?

I don't see many people smiling when they have to continuously maneuver around all the stalls that are placed every which way

a person can, to grab all the sidewalk they can each day.

If people are healthier from eating this so called health food...Lol;

it might be from, all the work they went through to get there or it from their favorite stall vendor.

It's an experience in itself, that much I will agree, but it's a far cry from healthy, or a better alternative from real food,

with real ingredients, which people refer to here as western food.

I don't call it that, I call it health, conscience eating,

and since the dirtiest place on anybodies body, bar none is their mouth,

it's something to consider about what we put in it, no?

Not to mention the verdict is still out for me anyway, that the things sold on the street are actually cheaper than in an

establishment. All the junk they sell at these walking markets I can certainly buy from Lazada for better price,

and I didn't have to go anywhere.

If for some reason I find shopping outside to be adventurous, then I can still find things cheaper at the stores.

Why?

The vendors have to pay crazy rent prices to be on those locations, and then they have to pay even more to the Police,

to look the other way.

Guess what...the shoppers who haven't woke up yet to figure out things are not such a great deal from the street sellers,

are in fact paying for the vendor to be there, instead of organizing themselves and getting a real business model together,

which would support them into the future, and even perhaps actually put more profit into their hands,

instead of into the Police, and land owner for the few who set up on private locations, like in front of someones home.

Yes those people pay too, and pay big; by the way.

A vendor in front of a house can set them back 30,000 + a month, vendors don't care, they charge the suckers thinking they are getting a deal

by buying from off the street.

My wife gets her nails done from a lady who rent a piece of a corner in a Lotus shopping area.

No walls around this lady, just this stretch of space that Lotus has rented out to her,

for only 20,000 bht a month.

The lady could easily rent the same amount of space, with four walls around her,

and even have her own toilet, but she stays here, because she like the foot traffic.

She can't figure that most of the foot traffic is just walking past her,

as they don't want to be getting their nails done on what amounts to the sidewalk,

where people are just walking by.

I have sat there many times and watched, while my wife gets her nails done by this lady,

who doesn't realize she has a following for her work,

and they will come wherever she lands a true shop at.

She just needs to take on the responsibility to establish herself.

Will she?

Probably not, Thai's love to have others sign contracts,

but they in fact hate to commit to anything, especially in writing,

and that's all it takes to get the same amount of space these people pay for this sidewalk space,

as it all essentially is.

I got about halfway through. Can anyone beat that?

I gave up on the first apostrophised plural.

it s not their side roads ... roads are public and use to walk.

I think it s scandalous that I have to walk on the road and go around shops because they transformed the side walks to a shopping center.

Judging from the different heights of the areas outside shops and the different surfaces, I have to wonder if some are actually a part of the shop's property and not built as a footpath. Maybe somebody on TV has actual knowledge and whether there is, in fact, any law covering it.

Some years ago, people came to experience Thailand; now, they come to change it to resemble whatever stuck-up, prig-filled sh!t-hole they came from.

Sad.

The crackdown on vendors is being organised by Thais and I think most Thais support it.

Which street vendors are we talking about here?

that is a state secret , only need to know peep's can see da list ...........

I started at the halfway point and gave up when someone wanted to do nails in a telephone retailers premises.

The simple idea of people here stating that Thai food is good for them, is ridiculous, there are plenty of fat Thai's in this country.

Apparently some people prefer their foods cooked with questionable ingredients, and feel it taste better, but that is just a theory,

especially when you watch how much the Thai's depend on MSG for what they state is taste good ingredient, and that's exactly what is supposed to make you brain think; that is taste good. It also helps preserve food to some degree.

If there's any question about how great their food really is, just walk around a Thai Market,

where all the meats & poultry are strung out everywhere, and take in that great aroma...

now after about half an hour,

think to yourself, what you want to eat, now that you've built up a healthy appetite?

The locals state that eating food that isn't so preserved and clean only makes you stronger.

Really?

Perhaps that's why when I look at Thai's the same age as me,

it's easy to see they look 10 years + more than I.

Our bodies will fight off what ever we throw at it,

but by doing so, we are taxing our bodies even more,

which results in us aging before your true time,

it that really worth that quick snack we grab on the sidewalk?

Now people will compare this to western food, as they like to put it,

but we are not talking about other foods, we are talking about or I am writing about the street foods,

sold in Thailand, which are sold on the side of the road, with all the great seasoning of the street dust,

and fumes off those beautiful buses that drive by every 5 minutes.

What's not to love?

I don't see many people smiling when they have to continuously maneuver around all the stalls that are placed every which way

a person can, to grab all the sidewalk they can each day.

If people are healthier from eating this so called health food...Lol;

it might be from, all the work they went through to get there or it from their favorite stall vendor.

It's an experience in itself, that much I will agree, but it's a far cry from healthy, or a better alternative from real food,

with real ingredients, which people refer to here as western food.

I don't call it that, I call it health, conscience eating,

and since the dirtiest place on anybodies body, bar none is their mouth,

it's something to consider about what we put in it, no?

Not to mention the verdict is still out for me anyway, that the things sold on the street are actually cheaper than in an

establishment. All the junk they sell at these walking markets I can certainly buy from Lazada for better price,

and I didn't have to go anywhere.

If for some reason I find shopping outside to be adventurous, then I can still find things cheaper at the stores.

Why?

The vendors have to pay crazy rent prices to be on those locations, and then they have to pay even more to the Police,

to look the other way.

Guess what...the shoppers who haven't woke up yet to figure out things are not such a great deal from the street sellers,

are in fact paying for the vendor to be there, instead of organizing themselves and getting a real business model together,

which would support them into the future, and even perhaps actually put more profit into their hands,

instead of into the Police, and land owner for the few who set up on private locations, like in front of someones home.

Yes those people pay too, and pay big; by the way.

A vendor in front of a house can set them back 30,000 + a month, vendors don't care, they charge the suckers thinking they are getting a deal

by buying from off the street.

My wife gets her nails done from a lady who rent a piece of a corner in a Lotus shopping area.

No walls around this lady, just this stretch of space that Lotus has rented out to her,

for only 20,000 bht a month.

The lady could easily rent the same amount of space, with four walls around her,

and even have her own toilet, but she stays here, because she like the foot traffic.

She can't figure that most of the foot traffic is just walking past her,

as they don't want to be getting their nails done on what amounts to the sidewalk,

where people are just walking by.

I have sat there many times and watched, while my wife gets her nails done by this lady,

who doesn't realize she has a following for her work,

and they will come wherever she lands a true shop at.

She just needs to take on the responsibility to establish herself.

Will she?

Probably not, Thai's love to have others sign contracts,

but they in fact hate to commit to anything, especially in writing,

and that's all it takes to get the same amount of space these people pay for this sidewalk space,

as it all essentially is.

I got about halfway through. Can anyone beat that?

I gave up on the first apostrophised plural.

Sent from my LG-H324 using Tapatalk

I think it s scandalous that I have to walk on the road and go around shops because they transformed the side walks to a shopping center.

Just people trying to make a living, for the most part.

Footpaths do not have to be the sole domain of walking pedestrians.

I can remember, a long time ago, when the vendors on lower Sukhumwit only occupied one side of the footpath and stayed in their marked areas alongside the road, behind the lines which are still visible now. That left plenty of room to walk past, even when a gaggle of tourists stopped to look at the rubbish on sale. Then they crept over the lines, and put up other stalls on the shop side of the footpath, which left very little room for pedestrians and even less when people stopped. I have no sympathy for vendors like that, and was happy to see them moved off Sukhumwit during the daytime.

I can remember, a long time ago, when the vendors on lower Sukhumwit only occupied one side of the footpath and stayed in their marked areas alongside the road, behind the lines which are still visible now. That left plenty of room to walk past, even when a gaggle of tourists stopped to look at the rubbish on sale. Then they crept over the lines, and put up other stalls on the shop side of the footpath, which left very little room for pedestrians and even less when people stopped. I have no sympathy for vendors like that, and was happy to see them moved off Sukhumwit during the daytime.

Those were the days....

post-228013-0-42416000-1446710511_thumb.

It does need to be controlled sensibly.

a lot of farang only eat western food to get even fatter so they won't understand. i love street food and opt for it over farang food everyday. Some street vendors in certain locations pay off the police (I've witnessed it) so i can't see them being moved off.

How does eating sugar coated meat rolled in msg with the carb loaded boiled white rice not fattening?

There still should be a limit of one edge of the foot path lined with stalls only. Currently having stalls on both sides makes it near impossible to get through at times

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Lower Suk is now filed to the brim as they've moved the Asoke crowd down that way to keep the intersection clear.

I simply stay away from lower Suk, Silom etc after 7 when the tourist crowds are kicking in. Works for me.

The vendors are not there just for the tourists.Thaiworkers also use them for their convenience. Pattaya tried moving the food peddlers off the streets some time back, but I notice they are back. And why not.? Pattaya made a start at plasticising itself by some years ago removing the grass roofed salas on the beach and replacing them with plastic umbrellas. It now resembles any other beach on the Mediterranean.The powers that be do not seem to realise that tourists come here to experience something different. The smells as well as the sights.

If I ever left LoS, which is unlikely, the smell I would remember is from paint tubs full of pla ra in the markets.

street vendors do not only sell food ( or whatever they sell) - they are precious because they make city life scenes more emotional to observe. E pictures below for illustration - not from me:

800px-Bangkok_08_-_01_-_street_vendors_%

from : https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bangkok_08_-_01_-_street_vendors_(3165967337).JPG

and the autor comments : " Ah, I love signs with bad English. What is particularly funny about this one is that it is spelled exactly how he pronounced it. But the availability of super tasty freshly squeezed orange juice was a treat and the first of many, many street foods I crammed in my belly."

street-vendor-bangkok-19914883.jpg from http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photos-street-vendor-bangkok-image19914883

street vendors do not only sell food ( or whatever they sell) - they are precious because they make city life scenes more emotional to observe. E pictures below for illustration - not from me:

800px-Bangkok_08_-_01_-_street_vendors_%

from : https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bangkok_08_-_01_-_street_vendors_(3165967337).JPG

and the autor comments : " Ah, I love signs with bad English. What is particularly funny about this one is that it is spelled exactly how he pronounced it. But the availability of super tasty freshly squeezed orange juice was a treat and the first of many, many street foods I crammed in my belly."

street-vendor-bangkok-19914883.jpg from http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photos-street-vendor-bangkok-image19914883

Small carts like this i do like but they have to show the price like this man did.

I don't like the ones who have a stand and let their products hang over it and then even sit infront of their stand. Or the ones who make the walkway very narrow and sit behind it in a loungechair with a tv.

Also i don't like restaurants on the sidewalks because it makes it far too narrow.

But i can't be bothered with streetvendors anymore, i just won't go to area's where they have a lot of them. I take the skytrain to the mall and would rather pay more there.

The street vendors were made to operate off the pavement and into shop fronts in Singapore. Much cleaner & tidier but completely destroyed the street atmosphere, the vibrance and verve.

The street vendors are one of the endearing features of Thailand. This country is rapidly being destroyed by, mainly American, corporations. Please Mr army man, don't take this away

Sad.

nope. But now we know the sort of place you come from!

Well, your overpowering logic has certainly put me in my place! Enough said, I'm reeling from the blow...

Sad.

nope. But now we know the sort of place you come from!

Well, your overpowering logic has certainly put me in my place! Enough said, I'm reeling from the blow...