Road Islands (Round abouts)

TommyUK1960

There is a white line on the road indicating that oncoming vehicles do not have the right of way. The magnificent, very well planned elephant roundabout in Buriram had to have traffic lights to make it work. (recently).

The problem is not the Thai drivers, it is the lack of public education on TV. I see every day clips of villagers complaining about bad roads but I never saw any complaining about badly designed roads. The activities of the road safety council or whatever it is called seem to be confined to exhorting the cops to increase vigilance every Song Kran and new Year.

I have only seen one Thai road safety video since I got here, and it was never ot TV.

Exactly. There are so many accidents and deaths on the road, which could be avoided by well designed roads.

1. U-Turns on highways?

2. Turning left at stoplights even when it's red.

3. Roads changing from 1 lane to 2 lanes and back constantly.

etc etc etc.

I am quite certain many accidents, traffic jams, etc could be avoided by simply redesigning certain roads.

Of course public awareness and educacting are also necessary :)

I use this roundabout regularly and what is amazing it is well marked out yet drivers still have no clue how to use it. Maybe Thailand should just get rid of roundabouts.

They got rid of one on Jira Road in Buriram but this one may prove more problematic:

post-181995-14470769443683_thumb.jpg