Volunteer Opportunities

soup501

I will assume you are not Thai and are you are in fact here on a visa, either retirement or marriage.

Before you starting even thinking about volunteering, it may be useful to understand that "volunteering" is illegal.

That is not my interpretation of the law. It is the law.

I am certain this will stir a lot of comments, but the law is the law. Letters from head monks, or even from Provincial Governors not withstanding, it is illegal.

Breaking that law could result in your expulsion, and given the current atmosphere regarding "visitors" to Thailand, it is a very risky (you could even get reported by someone who feels your "volunteering" is costing him his job......).

I just volunteered one hour of my time to a charity this morning ... should I be worried?

Nonsence, for 99.99% of the activities. I would just avoid/be cautious of any activities that would goes against any authority.

Don't know any particular organisation in CR, but if you reach to schools, religious organisations or hospitals, I'm sure you will find people with local knowledge.

True you need a permit to volunteer. Also, in CR most of the places that use "volunteers" are Christian missionary type organizations who only want people who are members of their inner circles and agree to promote their "agenda". CR is not a good place for decent people to volunteer.

• 3 weeks later...