Poor Air Quality in BKK

Darklorddog

If what you are suffering is a true Allergy you could try

1. An antihistamine such as Certirizine (5 - 10mgm/day)

2. A simple nasal decongestant such as "Feenoze"

Either or both of these products can be bought in most Thai pharmacies.

The only lasting "cure" will be to move out of Bangkok.

What allergy do you have? Maybe it does not have anything to do with Bangkok's air quality. Who says Bangkok's air quality is particularly bad now anyway?

I came here 21 years ago before the advent of diesel commercial vehicles and buses being converted to LPG and in England had suffered for years with rhinitis and dust allergies causing breathing difficulties similar to asthma. I was prescribed inhalers and nasal sprays which very soon became redundant here as both allergies cleared up very quickly.

I've lived in different types of area, Sathorn, Lumpini, lower Sukhumvit, mid Sukhumvit and Onnut and was never bothered by the allergies again. I've no idea why my issues cleared up but I don't subscribe to the terrible air quality theory here.

If what you are suffering is a true Allergy you could try

1. An antihistamine such as Certirizine (5 - 10mgm/day)

2. A simple nasal decongestant such as "Feenoze"

Either or both of these products can be bought in most Thai pharmacies.

The only lasting "cure" will be to move out of Bangkok.

Short and sweet and about the way it is. Get out quick.

I lived in Bkk for over 10 years, was constantly ill with nasal and sinus issues. If you are effected there is very little you can do, perhaps move to the outskirts near some fields.

I suppose the job is keeping you there, if not, why not try Pattaya ?

What allergy do you have? Maybe it does not have anything to do with Bangkok's air quality. Who says Bangkok's air quality is particularly bad now anyway?

I came here 21 years ago before the advent of diesel commercial vehicles and buses being converted to LPG and in England had suffered for years with rhinitis and dust allergies causing breathing difficulties similar to asthma. I was prescribed inhalers and nasal sprays which very soon became redundant here as both allergies cleared up very quickly.

I've lived in different types of area, Sathorn, Lumpini, lower Sukhumvit, mid Sukhumvit and Onnut and was never bothered by the allergies again. I've no idea why my issues cleared up but I don't subscribe to the terrible air quality theory here.

Doesn't bother some people that's true and needs to be said. Just means you are relatively unaffected by black carbon. And some people benefit from a move away from cold, damp air. Lucky you.

I lived in Phra Khanong, and the apartment is near the main road. The traffic in there is terrible. I just have running nose, and soar throat all the time after I moved to BKK. I needed to take extra energy to breath, especially 2 weeks ago when the Haze all around the city.

Not only did I have constant sinus issues when I lived in Bangkok, the floors in my apartments would get dirty so fast that the day after they were mopped, my feet would get black on the bottom.

When I visit Bangkok now, if I'm there more than a day or two, I start to taste the pollution. Yuck.

I lived in Phra Khanong, and the apartment is near the main road. The traffic in there is terrible. I just have running nose, and soar throat all the time after I moved to BKK. I needed to take extra energy to breath, especially 2 weeks ago when the Haze all around the city.

It's one of the worst areas. You really could do with getting out. Also are you commuting ?

In the meantime, you have to limit the time you are outside, and wear a mask. When indoors, the windows must be closed and check your air con is well serviced.

From my experience meds. do very little, they are really designed for standard allergies, but it is likely you are suffering from smog effects, and black carbon irritation. Also some of the seedier sides of the city tend to be cess pits, dusty, dirty, and lots of bugs abound. By moving at least to the outskirts you might get an acceptable compromise.

But you could try nasal rinsing. Also steam tent, just fill a dish with hot water, sit, and drape a towel over your head. When you are in the shower, stay there a long time and let the water play on your head with chin tucked down.

I sympathise if you have work, particularly teaching as this is not a good environment too.

The problem is mainly two-fold, sunlight on particles (smog) which tricks your immune system in to reacting, and the direct effect of toxins on your nasal linings.

You will be ok, but will have to live with the pain and discomfort if you remain where you are. The problem with a constantly runny nose is that you are much more likely to develop infections in sinuses, throat, larynx, and bronchials, and will suffer colds much worse. Also if your nasal linings are constantly swollen they are very sensitive, and you may suddenly find that just about anything adds to the problem, eg, walking past someone smoking, entering in to a very cold supermarket, the air con in a car blowing in to your face, the list can become rather long.

Since moving to Surat my allergies have eased about 80-90 %. 2-3 weeks ago we got the haze from Indonesia, and they returned pretty quickly. It's alla bout air quality for me.

Bangkok is such a great city, I really miss it, so I sympathise.

Not only did I have constant sinus issues when I lived in Bangkok, the floors in my apartments would get dirty so fast that the day after they were mopped, my feet would get black on the bottom.

When I visit Bangkok now, if I'm there more than a day or two, I start to taste the pollution. Yuck.

Yes, I noticed that the black carbon is a very serious issue in here, I have to picked my nose few times a day & its all dirt. I never opened the windows in my apartment, but there is still lots of dust on the floor. I may need to look for some filter or vacuum cleaner to help.

It's one of the worst areas. You really could do with getting out. Also are you commuting ?

In the meantime, you have to limit the time you are outside, and wear a mask. When indoors, the windows must be closed and check your air con is well serviced.

From my experience meds. do very little, they are really designed for standard allergies, but it is likely you are suffering from smog effects, and black carbon irritation. Also some of the seedier sides of the city tend to be cess pits, dusty, dirty, and lots of bugs abound. By moving at least to the outskirts you might get an acceptable compromise.

But you could try nasal rinsing. Also steam tent, just fill a dish with hot water, sit, and drape a towel over your head. When you are in the shower, stay there a long time and let the water play on your head with chin tucked down.

I sympathise if you have work, particularly teaching as this is not a good environment too.

The problem is mainly two-fold, sunlight on particles (smog) which tricks your immune system in to reacting, and the direct effect of toxins on your nasal linings.

You will be ok, but will have to live with the pain and discomfort if you remain where you are. The problem with a constantly runny nose is that you are much more likely to develop infections in sinuses, throat, larynx, and bronchials, and will suffer colds much worse. Also if your nasal linings are constantly swollen they are very sensitive, and you may suddenly find that just about anything adds to the problem, eg, walking past someone smoking, entering in to a very cold supermarket, the air con in a car blowing in to your face, the list can become rather long.

Since moving to Surat my allergies have eased about 80-90 %. 2-3 weeks ago we got the haze from Indonesia, and they returned pretty quickly. It's alla bout air quality for me.

I just signed 1 year contract for the apartment, so I guess I have to face this problem for the next 10 months. But I try to stay at indoor all time to avoid the polluted air.

I just signed 1 year contract for the apartment, so I guess I have to face this problem for the next 10 months. But I try to stay at indoor all time to avoid the polluted air.

If it is just a runny nose, then that is not such a big problem. You could get some beconase which might help, or nasocort. And then do saline rinsing 2 or 3 times a day. The problems arise if you also get sinus pressure and post nasal drip, which causes a sore throat,etc.

This time of the year the problem may lessen, but could intensify during the hot season, heat likely plays its part. if you can do most of your leisure at night so much the better.

One very effective measure is to spend time in the basement of a shopping mall for instance. I used to go to Cental, Fortune Town. Being underground the air has negative ions which is really good. You could also try lolling around in a swimming pool.

As I mentioned before, steam tent, and long showers will ensure decongestion. If you have sinus pain, you might consider filling a small plastic bottle with hot water and pressing around your face (not too hot obviously). Lying down and balancing the base around your eye socket really helps sore eye muscles. Conversely, freezing the bottle might do too. No rhyme or reason.

If you have the funds, an ioniser could be useful.

If you commute, a mask is essential.

Bangkok is otherwise a fantastic place, hope it works out.

If you have to stay one year, the answer is ANTIOXIDANTS

There was an experiment made on rats put in very polluted conditions to see what was the effects of antioxidants.

The rats given more fresh fruits and veg lived longer.

It is diet, that makes the difference between people living in the same environment.

If you have to stay one year, the answer is ANTIOXIDANTS

There was an experiment made on rats put in very polluted conditions to see what was the effects of antioxidants.

The rats given more fresh fruits and veg lived longer.

It is diet, that makes the difference between people living in the same environment.

This won't cut. No more than if you cut yourself or got poison on your skin.

Antioxidants are essential in general.

I drink lots of tea.