Pattaya to Sihanoukville by bus, what's the latest info please?

If you can find a direct bus, avoid it. My suggestion is, take a morning minibus to Trat bus station, then minibus to the border. Then moto or tuktuk to Koh Kong town. Overnight at the Asia Hotel (VIP room if possible). Spend one day at least doing side trips to Crab House and Crab Shack. Take the direct bus to Sihanoukville (make sure it really is direct and no change of bus on route 4). Take Giant Ibis bis to Phnom Penh before New Year (that time will be very busy in SHV). Take an Airasia flight back to Bangkok. Have a good time!

OP, you're welcome. The problem with any direct bus is that it won't be direct. You would have to change buses at the border. Then you can end up stranded as you can wait a long time for the onward vehicle. Buying separate tickets for each sector leaves you in control as you are not paying up front for unknown means of transport. It always seems to work out cheaper as well.

What do you want from the trip? SHV has very good beaches. PP has very good bars.

Thanks once again, I have been to both places 5 years ago and I'm keen to go back to see what's changed. I like the bars & restaurants in PP and the laid back atmosphere at SHV. Plus I write a travel blog for a hobby and want more recent updates for both places.

Here is one of my photo blogs, http://fivestarvagabond.com/sihanoukville-cambodia-coast/

The Giant Ibis bus from PP to Sihanoukville does stop (on request) at PP airport. If you call the company, maybe you can arrange to be picked up there but it's the kind of thing that can go wrong in practice. It's certainly possible going the other direction as you simply ask to be dropped off at the airport which they will be passing.