Where to purchase electrical cable and earth rod etc. What cable sizes?

petejjj

Hi,

does anyone have advice on where to purchase electrical cable for a domestic house rewire in Sukhothai or Phitsanulok?

Ideally I'd like to purchase the same spec cable used in Australia, i.e. 2 core and earth as per link:

http://www.olex.com.au/eservice/Australia-en_AU/navigate_289432_99_40_323/PVC_Flat_2_and_3_core_earth.html

Typically in Australia double insulated 1.5mm^2 copper - PVC cable is used for lighting circuits, 2.5mm^2 is used for general purpose outlets - power points, and larger cables are used and sized accordingly to the application.

What sizes are common in Thailand for light and power?

Looking at our Thai house the existing light and power cables through out are single insulated and would be lucky to be 1mm^2 or 1.5mm^2

I'm also in need of a distribution - switchboard with RCDs and circuit breakers, an earth rod - stake, and 10 or 16mm^2 earth cable.

thanks again

regards

-P

The usual places for common supplies are Global, Home Pro, and the like. Should be one of those around there somewhere. Quality varies so you need to beware for that. 2-core with ground is not often easy to find but it's simple enough to string along separately.

Lighting and power are typically wired as you state. You will next need to get up to speed on Thai meters and, if you need to size up, will need appointment with your local PEA.

You'll find everything you need here, just have to look.

Singles are fine in conduit, even in Oz smile.png

It's where they run naked across the metal ceiling grid that the fun starts.

Wire to AS3000 and you won't go far wrong.

Being from the states and used to using "Romex" (PVC) cable with ground included, I looked for that here and didn't find. So, I used 2-core PVC and ran 1mm2 ground along with it for the power circuits. In retrospect, I think best to just get single wires and run through conduit. And, it makes things easier to size up. I also now think best to make a ground bus (and connected to structural steel} instead of running it every which way that may not be needed.

The "romex" type cable is here, it's just not common in the Thai shops. See the pdf I attached for the VAF-Grd type scroll down to page B7/8 and i know I have this cable in my home areas. My local electric supplier can get this if I need it.

attachicon.gifsetB.pdf

...thanks longball. Spot on with the link.

May I ask you who your local supplier is and where?

thanks

regards

-p

Edited by petejjj

The usual places for common supplies are Global, Home Pro, and the like. Should be one of those around there somewhere. Quality varies so you need to beware for that. 2-core with ground is not often easy to find but it's simple enough to string along separately.

Lighting and power are typically wired as you state. You will next need to get up to speed on Thai meters and, if you need to size up, will need appointment with your local PEA.

many thanks bankruatsteve.

...planning to do a big shop at Homepro at Future Park Rangsit - Pathum Thani prior to heading up to village, so will pursue it there.

The existing meter is the oldest model out on the street pole, so I had assumed that it will need up sizing. Do you know how long it takes for the local PEA to inspect and then replace with up sized replacement? Also rough cost?

Thanks for the advice.

regards

-p

You'll find everything you need here, just have to look.

Singles are fine in conduit, even in Oz smile.png

It's where they run naked across the metal ceiling grid that the fun starts.

Wire to AS3000 and you won't go far wrong.

Hi Crossy, thanks for the advice. Yes agree, AS3000 allows single insulated 'building wire' in conduit. I have a copy of it and also AS3008. Both handy.

Also, many thanks to you for the pinned information in this forum. Excellent advice and drawings mate.

cheers

-P

Phitsanulok has a Home Pro,Global House and Thaiwatsadu as well as many smaller shops dotted along the main road,as above you should find everything you need at all of the above.

Hi stoneyboy,

thanks for the reply. Yes I know of the home pro at Phits.

I'm frequently in Phits so I will definitely check out Global House and Thaiwatsadu.

thanks

regards

-p

...planning to do a big shop at Homepro at Future Park Rangsit - Pathum Thani prior to heading up to village, so will pursue it there.

The existing meter is the oldest model out on the street pole, so I had assumed that it will need up sizing. Do you know how long it takes for the local PEA to inspect and then replace with up sized replacement? Also rough cost?

Thanks for the advice.

regards

-p

You'll find a better choice of cable at MegaHome north of Rangsit 14.043016, 100.617437 well worth a look before committing to HomePro, there's also a new Thaiwatsadu opened up between Rangsit and Megahome 14.016286, 100.613426

Your meter will be marked with a rating, the usual ones are 5/15 (15 Amp), 15/45 (45 Amp), this is the usual one for 'farang' homes and 30/100 (100 Amp) which may not be available out in the sticks.

If your diversified load will exceed 50A or so you may need to go 3-phase sad.png

Thanks for the advice.

regards

-p

Chances are you currently have a "5/15" meter which means 5a nominal and 15a max (or thereabouts). Most PEA are good to respond. You will need to go in with your (wife's) house paper and reason why you want to upgrade (next size is 15/45) - like what kind of stuff will you have hooked up. If you don't have water heater, A/C, and pump it's not likely they will agree to upgrade (nor do you need it). Otherwise, they will come out and likely tell you to upgrade the size of wire from meter to house and then they will install new meter. I don't recall price - maybe B3000?

The "romex" type cable is here, it's just not common in the Thai shops. See the pdf I attached for the VAF-Grd type scroll down to page B7/8 and i know I have this cable in my home areas. My local electric supplier can get this if I need it.

attachicon.gifsetB.pdf

...thanks longball. Spot on with the link.

May I ask you who your local supplier is and where?

thanks

regards

-p

-p not sure where you are located but I was just shopping in the Homeworks store in Pattaya yesterday and they have the VAF-GRD in stock. Big rolls of it. My local shop is here in Ban Chang, Rayong so not easy to deal with from outside the area. I took photos but decided not to post them as this stuff is available anywhere I think.

....my wife just spoke to the local village PEA office and they advised that a 15/45 meter is 4620 baht and it takes 3 business days. They also said it's easier (and more expensive) to apply for a new meter rather than trying to locate the previous owner and transfer the old meter and then have it upgraded anyway. And finally, the consumer mains cable from the the meter to the point of attachment on our house is entirely our responsibility and needs to be in place prior to the new 15/45 amp meter being installed.

Thanks

Regards

Pete

• 1 month later...

-many thanks for everyone's help here.

For your info I purchased everything I needed at MEGA HOME in Pathum Thani (Bangkok) (-thanks Crossy)

Prices were as follows:

1. 4mm^2 (3 core) VAF-GRD cable 100m = THB 4799
  2. 2.5mm^2 (3 core) VAF-GRD cable 100m = THB 2890
  3. 1.5mm^2 (3 core) VAF-GRD cable 100m = THB 2145
  4. 1.5mm^2 (2 core) VAF YAZ cable 100m = THB 1157
  5. 16mm^2 (1 core) 50m THW? Main earth cable = THB 1990
  6. 2.5mm^2 (1 core) 100m THW? Earth Cable = THB 624

Other item prices were:

1. 60A 2 pole Chang isolation switch = THB 143
  2. Schneider 50A main breaker - RCD (safety cut) combo = THB 2590
  3. Schneider 32A, 20A, 16A & 10A circuit breakers were = THB 110 each
  4. Schneider switchboard = THB 1390
  5. Metal cable nail clips small = THB 10 per pack and large = THB 20 per pack

cheers

regards

Pete

-many thanks for everyone's help here.

For your info I purchased everything I needed at MEGA HOME in Pathum Thani (Bangkok) (-thanks Crossy)

Prices were as follows:

• 4mm^2 (3 core) VAF-GRD cable 100m = THB 4799
  • 2.5mm^2 (3 core) VAF-GRD cable 100m = THB 2890
  • 1.5mm^2 (3 core) VAF-GRD cable 100m = THB 2145
  • 1.5mm^2 (2 core) VAF YAZ cable 100m = THB 1157
  • 16mm^2 (1 core) 50m THW? Main earth cable = THB 1990
  • 2.5mm^2 (1 core) 100m THW? Earth Cable = THB 624
Other item prices were:
  • 60A 2 pole Chang isolation switch = THB 143
  • Schneider 50A main breaker - RCD (safety cut) combo = THB 2590
  • Schneider 32A, 20A, 16A & 10A circuit breakers were = THB 110 each
  • Schneider switchboard = THB 1390
  • Metal cable nail clips small = THB 10 per pack and large = THB 20 per pack

cheers

regards

Pete

PEA 15/45 Amp meter = THB 4622. Took a lot of persuasion and 2 visits to upsize from 5/15 meter to 15/45 amp.

Being from the states and used to using "Romex" (PVC) cable with ground included, I looked for that here and didn't find. So, I used 2-core PVC and ran 1mm2 ground along with it for the power circuits. In retrospect, I think best to just get single wires and run through conduit. And, it makes things easier to size up. I also now think best to make a ground bus (and connected to structural steel} instead of running it every which way that may not be needed.

Are you sure your 1mm ground/earth is big enough? perhaps Crossy could confirm I usually run an earth the same size as power cable.I stand to be corrected

thanks

Are you sure your 1mm ground/earth is big enough? perhaps Crossy could confirm I usually run an earth the same size as power cable.I stand to be corrected

thanks

I've purchased 3 core cable so earth is same size as active and neutral conductors, I.e. 1.5mm^2 and 2.5mm^2

If I recall correctly, earth can be smaller as per Australian standards AS3000 and AS3008.

None the less, any earth is better than NO earth that's standard here in Thailand :-)

Regards

Pete

thanks

Reduced ground conductors are acceptable under both UK and Oz regulations. If you buy UK 'twin and earth' (what would be VAF-G here) it would have a smaller ground conductor.

For example, 2.5mm2 T&E would have a 1.5mm2 ground, VAF-G in Thailand has all conductors the same size.