Cancelled Work Permit

My work permit was cancelled (contract finished) October 31st. I (mistakenly) thought that I had until November 16th (the next notification date for my 1 year NonB )+ 7 days to leave the country. So, my plan was to leave before November 23rd. However, as I understand it now, my visa expired October 31st at midnight? Which means I have overstayed for 13 days so far.

My questions are:

1. The overstay is 500 baht per day, so I will be charged ุ6500 baht upon leaving Thailand?

2. Will this affect my ability to get a 30 day entrance (Canadian) if I fly to Laos or Cambodia this weekend?

Are there any alternatives such that I could stay until November 23rd? It would be great if I could but I don't want anything to restrict me from coming back to Thailand in a year or two...

Thanks in advance!

Edited by jhjhghh123

Do you actually have a Non "B" visa?

Because you talk about " a next notification date for my 1 year NonB" I suspect you have an "extension of stay based on work" (which is not a "visa!) and the "B" visa you had has long ago expired.

The "extension of stay " ceased to be valid on the day you stopped working. There are no +7 days unless a 7day extension is applied and paid for.

If you are lucky and you do not have a re-entry permit in the passport the overstay may not be noticed.

There is nothing which will prevent your returning and being given a 30 day visa exempt entry

When does your extension end?

You are not on overstay yet if it is still valid.

By air is best. If you leave overland at one of the 2 main crossings to Laos you will need a termination letter from you employer before you can leave at them.

I think you are confusing 90 day reports with extensions. A 90 day report is not an extension.

When your extension ends you either leave or apply for a new one not a notification.

Technically your extension ends on the date you are no longer working. But nobody normally informs immigration when your job ends.

Sorry, you are right! My next report is on November 16th and my extension ends July 2016. My company has stated they cancelled my work permit - does this mean they probably informed immigration as well?

You employer would not of canceled your extension. I am not sure if immigration would even cancel if they did inform them.

Schools. companies and etc are limited on the number of work permit they can support so they are only interested in canceling it not the extension.

• Like 1

Because you talk about " a next notification date for my 1 year NonB" I suspect you have an "extension of stay based on work" (which is not a "visa!) and the "B" visa you had has long ago expired.

The "extension of stay " ceased to be valid on the day you stopped working. There are no +7 days unless a 7day extension is applied and paid for.

If you are lucky and you do not have a re-entry permit in the passport the overstay may not be noticed.

There is nothing which will prevent your returning and being given a 30 day visa exempt entry

Just out of interest mate, why would the OP having a re entry permit give him more chance of a problem?

Just out of interest mate, why would the OP having a re entry permit give him more chance of a problem?

If a passport contains an extension of stay without a re-entry permit, leaving effectively cancels the extension.

A re-entry permit keeps the extension alive and in the case of the OP could give rise to awkward questions being asked by an Immigration officer on return to the country.

Edited by oncearugge
  • Like 1

If a passport contains an extension of stay without a re-entry permit, leaving effectively cancels the extension.

A re-entry permit keeps the extension alive and in the case of the OP could give rise to awkward questions being asked by an Immigration officer on return to the country.

Got ya. Cheers mate!

Sorry, you are right! My next report is on November 16th and my extension ends July 2016. My company has stated they cancelled my work permit - does this mean they probably informed immigration as well?

You employer would not of canceled your extension. I am not sure if immigration would even cancel if they did inform them.

Schools. companies and etc are limited on the number of work permit they can support so they are only interested in canceling it not the extension.

Government schools are not limited on the number of work permits they can "support". This applies only to private schools(maybe) and companies who are restricted by other laws related to capital and number of Thai employees.

In the OP's case, he hasn't overstayed unless the extension of stay based upon employment has expired or the employer has notified immigration, which usually does't happen. It is possible however, so someone in said situation would be smart to arrange an inexpensive flight out of Thailand and test the waters at the airport vs. a land crossing as was explained. He might also be well advised to have a printout of a ticket/booking back to his home country, even if it's not an actual ticket. It seems they don't know a reservation from a ticket at many desks. Another way to test the system would be to apply for a re-entry permit. If it's granted, you know the computer isn't up to date extension of stay wise and in fact, you could use the re-entry permit should you decide to take a holiday etc. but that might get you on the dark side so maybe just risk 1000Baht and apply for a re-entry permit. Worse case, it will be denied and you know your status. You won't as far as I know, be arrested for being here on an overstay in this type of situation.(unrelated to an act of violence or drunken rage where you assault police or Thai people or get involved in a traffic accident etc. which is when overstay's can become an issue)

Edited by BruceMangosteen

whistling.gif Your 90 day reporting is only to report that you are living in country.

A 90 day extension does not change the date you must leave the country......nor does your re-entry permit.

If you have obtained a re-entry permit on your extension of your Non B based upon "employment in Thailand" then when your

employment ends so does your extension and that re-entry permit.

Now it is true that sometimes your employer will delay reporting and cancelling your work permit immediately .

But that is by your employer's choice

Consider it this way....you are here because of your employment in Thailand.... when that ends so does reason to stay.

Once your employer reports you work permit is ended to the Ministry of Labor you must leave the country.

There is no automatic 7 days to leave the country, it is a something you can request and it may be granted.

The Ministry of Labor does not automatically notify Thai immigration once you work permit is ended, but they could.

It would be an intelligent thing to do to plan to be ready to leave the country immediately once you quit your job,, are fired , or your job ends.

Anything else that keeps you in Thailand should be thought of as a bonus.

Sorry OP but were you not on here at the time of your WP cancelation asking for advice ? Ubonjoe wasn't around and people was giving you the incorrect advice and I told you to pm Joe. Maybe I am confusing you with someone else, in which case sorry.

What "incorrect" advice was given?

You will have noted UJ has commented within the tread.

Government schools are not limited on the number of work permits they can "support". This applies only to private schools(maybe) and companies who are restricted by other laws related to capital and number of Thai employees.

In the OP's case, he hasn't overstayed unless the extension of stay based upon employment has expired or the employer has notified immigration, which usually does't happen. It is possible however, so someone in said situation would be smart to arrange an inexpensive flight out of Thailand and test the waters at the airport vs. a land crossing as was explained. He might also be well advised to have a printout of a ticket/booking back to his home country, even if it's not an actual ticket. It seems they don't know a reservation from a ticket at many desks. Another way to test the system would be to apply for a re-entry permit. If it's granted, you know the computer isn't up to date extension of stay wise and in fact, you could use the re-entry permit should you decide to take a holiday etc. but that might get you on the dark side so maybe just risk 1000Baht and apply for a re-entry permit. Worse case, it will be denied and you know your status. You won't as far as I know, be arrested for being here on an overstay in this type of situation.(unrelated to an act of violence or drunken rage where you assault police or Thai people or get involved in a traffic accident etc. which is when overstay's can become an issue)

And not forget to report that OP is going out of the country before leaving.

I have cancelled my work permit a month ago and fly out December 5 for a long holiday in new zealand. I have to do 90 day reporting December 2. I have a non imm B visa stamped in my passport that is dated to expire in march. my accountant said my non im B visa is not effected by the cancelling of my work permit. she has never been wrong about work permit/visa things before. I guess we will see when I go to do my 90day report early December. I have seem so many conflicting posts and replies to this topic.

I have cancelled my work permit a month ago and fly out December 5 for a long holiday in new zealand. I have to do 90 day reporting December 2. I have a non imm B visa stamped in my passport that is dated to expire in march. my accountant said my non im B visa is not effected by the cancelling of my work permit. she has never been wrong about work permit/visa things before. I guess we will see when I go to do my 90day report early December. I have seem so many conflicting posts and replies to this topic.

If you make 90 day reports to immigration you do not have a valid "B" visa .

Ask your accountant to explain the difference between a valid visa and an "extension of stay".