Best way for a good ping? (3BB Business?, VPN?)

Silktouch

Hey :)

Im a gamer living in Phuket, but the connection sucks so hard...

Everytime I play Black Ops 3 online I have a yellow or red bar connection, this is something like 300+ ping. Its so unplayable...

My line is a 3BB 50/10 fiber.

Anybody playing BO3 online and have a better latency? I play on my PS4.

The problem is that the game dont look where I come from, in some lobbys I stay with americans, europeans and so... In 1 of 10 games I come in an asean lobby, then all is ok.

Can a VPN help to have better ping times?

Or maybe a 3BB Fiber BUSINESS line? Yes, Im nearly before paying 10k a month for a good routing.

Regards

Silk

I was getting really slow down speeds with my ps4 in pattaya I have 3bb 10mb

So I looked on Google and changed the dns thing to the Google servers this made my down load speeds a lot quicker

I don't know if this effects online games speed

You will have to look on google

I was talking to a man in a game shop the other day and he has trouble with call of duty, which puts me of buying star wars battlefront as it is online only

you could ask this guy http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/869717-Call-of-Duty:-Black-Ops-III

I have played ff online and dc online with no trouble so don't see why call of duty don't work

Have u tried a different psn account one in a different country?

Let us know if the Google things works as I might then buy star wars battlefront when I have finished fallout 4

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks, yes I use atm the google DNS server (8.8.8.8 & 4.4.4.4).

But there is no difference.

The funny thing is, in the beta from BO3 I had all the time 4bars and a ping below 100ms...

Its a joke, now there more players to find and I have a more worst connection...

Cheers

Quote:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey smile.png

Im a gamer living in Phuket, but the connection sucks so hard...

Everytime I play Black Ops 3 online I have a yellow or red bar connection, this is something like 300+ ping. Its so unplayable...

My line is a 3BB 50/10 fiber.

Anybody playing BO3 online and have a better latency? I play on my PS4.

The problem is that the game dont look where I come from, in some lobbys I stay with americans, europeans and so... In 1 of 10 games I come in an asean lobby, then all is ok.

Can a VPN help to have better ping times?

Or maybe a 3BB Fiber BUSINESS line? Yes, Im nearly before paying 10k a month for a good routing.

Regards

Silk

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

> As a gamer I can confirm gaming online from Phuket sucks the d***** D***.

There are usually multiple factors that affect your gaming, and I see you've already trimmed out the first bad issue, which is adsl, and using fiber. Now, that changes the Layer-1 aspect of your connection from copper to fiber, and from adsl to G-PON / etc, which is fine - but that only changes the link quality between YOU and the local exchange. The default route out of the exchange will still likely use the existing equipment that we've all come to know and hate.

Of course, there is contention-ratio too. Residential users have to share their overall local available bit-rate (bandwidth is the usual misnomer here), with more customers than Business Users.

So, the more people online at one time, the more people contending for the same limited resources. On top of that - residential users in Thailand get much reduced international access too. Thats a fact I've measured time after time.

Also, Thai telecoms have been found to be 'hacking' speedtest.net results too. So take them with a pinch of salt, and use other 'broad-band checker websites'.

In the end, what you need to do is get on a Business grade connection in Thailand, if you value your level of service. No. Other. Options. You'll 'get less', but what you get will feel much more like a normal Western connection that you've come to know.

When I'm playing in Phuket, I never 'get host' in the lobby. When I get on the Business adsl line, I get more hit-markers, get host sometimes, and am able to join lobbies that are further away too. Indeed, I'm able to 'own' games too.

BOPS2 / 3 / Ghosts have few players in Asia. I think it is the increased hardware requirments, is pricing some poorer people (older PCs) out, who just don't have the hardware that can run those too well. But MW3 is alive and kicking. I don't think I've even ever seen a 980Ti / Titan X / Fury / etc for sale in Banana...

Also, check every thing on your own end.... open your connection properties, disable services you don't need to generate packets for, such as IPX, Client for Microsft Windows, File and Printer sharing (if you don't need it), IPv6 (fat chance in Thailand this one), and whatever you see there that you don't use. Do not disable IPv4. Are you connected wired? If not, you are shooting yourself in the foot there too. If wired, are you connecting at 10 / 100, or 1,000 Mbs? Connecting at 1G provides lower latency. How about the rest of your PC? How many processes are you running 24/7? How many services do you not need, and are booting with each Windows login? Each unecessary service / startup program is adding cpu latency to your experience too. Video drivers? When did you last check to see they were 'current'?

We are chasing milli seconds here, so track down everything in your way. Start by moving to a Business Grade connection.

Peace out.

Oh, my UK speedtest just now: 9ms 152Mbs down 12.1 Mbs up. :)

Thanks, yes I use atm the google DNS server (8.8.8.8 & 4.4.4.4).

But there is no difference.

The funny thing is, in the beta from BO3 I had all the time 4bars and a ping below 100ms...

Its a joke, now there more players to find and I have a more worst connection...

Cheers

Chaning your DNS (a good idea) will not improve your line rates, but it will improve the time it takes for resolve hostnames (e.g. google.com) to ip addresses, (e.g. 209.65.200.241). Which is only done infrequently for each new site you visit. It will also increase your overall system security, as static DNS definations help to defeat hackers, malware, and viruses. You will note that when you install Comodos' free Firewall, one of the very first things the program asks you to do is change your dynamic DNS settings. Allow it to do this.

Another thing it will do, is bypass Thailands often (political) site-restricted-DNS-servers, allowing you to visit 'more' of the internet addresses you attemp to access. (Assuming the Thai ISP has not also IP-blocked the website ip address too, which they do for the dailymail.co.uk).

The VPN will not help your gaming much either. VPN adds extra layers of 'overhead' to your existing packets, such as encryption, authentication, etc.

Indeed, the overall maxium length (MTU) of a frame you are then able to send over a VPN is thus reduced (slightly reduced performance for big downloads), as the MTU between you and your VPN provider will need to be less than the typical 1500 Byte MTU that is used across the 'net'.

Encryption of those packets use CPU cycles too.

On top of all that, your VPN service may not have a local point-of-presence either. So you may connect to a VPN in Bangkok, just to reach players local to you, or in Malaysia for example. Extra uncesessary trips / router hops to be made. But then, much international traffic exists BKK anyway. But you get the idea.

Finally, the VPN will use connection-oriented TCP packets (requiring received TCP acknowledgements for each sent packet), extra overhead again, whereas the packets you normally send out of CODs port 3074, are UDP in nature. Think of UDP packtets as 'fire and forget'. Once your PC sends them, no extra overhead in waiting for acknowledgements is necessary, UDP packets are smaller, are created quicker by the PC, and require less resources to craft.

But again....Business Grade connection is your only hope in HKT...

Hope that helps.

Archived