State Department to stop adding page inserts to U.S. passports

State Department to stop adding page inserts to U.S. passports

(CNN)For some frequent international travelers, they're a badge of honor.
For others, a logistical hassle.
Supplemental page inserts -- added by the U.S. State Department into valid U.S. passports that lack adequate space for entry or exit visas stamps -- have made frequently used passports fat, signaling a traveler's breadth of international experience.
As of January 1, 2016, however, the State Department has announced it will no longer be inserting the 24-page supplements into passports.
"The decision to discontinue this service was made to enhance the security of the passport and to abide by international passport standards," according to a U.S. State Department statement.
State Department spokesman John Kirby told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on Thursday the move has been in the works for some time and is not related to the recent terror attacks in Paris, but reiterated that the change is related to security concerns and general vigilance.
cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2015-11-20

whistling.gif I received a new 54 page U.S. passport here in Bangkok at the U.S. embassy on 5 June 2015 and was told then by the embassy that all new passports issued by them would be 54 page passports and no more page extension inserts would be done after 1 January 2016.

That information has been posted at least twice on this forum already.

Nice to have a reconfirmation of the info anyway.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

The last time I had pages inserted in my passport it was free. I don't believe the added security BS. In my opinion it's just another way to fleece us.

When was that? I had pages added about five or six years back and it cost over ninety dollars, the next time I just applied for a new Passport with 54 pages. Cost-wise it makes more sense to get twice as many pages for the price of a new Passport.

My big brothers to the South; are following Canada's lead. Only about five years later.

Once the passport is full; no new pages. Time to pay for a new one.

My last new CDN passport of in 2013; and it came with this new electronic chip on the front of the book.( Added security)

It had instructions to not get it wet. As soon as I got home, I put a wet sponge on the front cover and left it there over night.

Not sure what it does, or how the government will use it, but it cannot be good for the passport holder.

Good luck USA, and thanks again for protecting us, for the last 60 years.

Rubbish. USG bureaucrat double talk and eyewash. This is simply another act to obtain and maintain further control of their citizenry. That is understandable as the USG is more frightened of their own citizens by the week and well they should be, with their draconian attitude and actions taken towards their public without relief. This is just another of many excesses and inconveniencing of expatriate businessmen, offshore workers and so forth that, foolishly it seems, work hard to further US economic interests and provide US tax revenues and this is the thanks alotted them by the USG. So it was probably to be expected. Cretins.

The last time I had pages inserted in my passport it was free. I don't believe the added security BS. In my opinion it's just another way to fleece us.

Just got a 48 page double insert, cost $82. Dont think this will enhance security, but diminish it, as we have less stamps to see in someones passport.

My big brothers to the South; are following Canada's lead. Only about five years later.

My last new CDN passport of in 2013; and it came with this new electronic chip on the front of the book.( Added security)

It had instructions to not get it wet. As soon as I got home, I put a wet sponge on the front cover and left it there over night.

Not sure what it does, or how the government will use it, but it cannot be good for the passport holder.

Passports are still valid when the chip fails. Im glad I never accidentally dropped a hammer on it many, many times.

Rubbish. USG bureaucrat double talk and eyewash. This is simply another act to obtain and maintain further control of their citizenry. That is understandable as the USG is more frightened of their own citizens by the week and well they should be, with their draconian attitude and actions taken towards their public without relief. This is just another of many excesses and inconveniencing of expatriate businessmen, offshore workers and so forth that, foolishly it seems, work hard to further US economic interests and provide US tax revenues and this is the thanks alotted them by the USG. So it was probably to be expected. Cretins.

Jeez, its only a passport. Chillax.

Passports are still valid when the chip fails. Im glad I never accidentally dropped a hammer on it many, many times.

Make sure you smash you new ATM cards as well..and your SIM cards in your phone.

That'll learn'em not to mess with the good ol' boys.

Yeeehah...round 'em up.

When was that? I had pages added about five or six years back and it cost over ninety dollars, the next time I just applied for a new Passport with 54 pages. Cost-wise it makes more sense to get twice as many pages for the price of a new Passport.

I had pages added in my passport three times as you can see below. The last one was in 2012 at Singapore. I didn't pay anything.

post-162723-0-76319600-1448065106_thumb.

Edited by Pimay1

it was free till about 2008 than it was and still is $82

in Thailand u can ask for 2 sets for the same price, so 48 additional pages

i got a new passport in March even though my old one was good for 3 more years as it made more sense to get 54 pages for $110 than 24 for $82 ( i had already added two sets)

Edited by phuketrichard

i had it done a month ago, took 5 weeks at least after i sent it off.....

$82 dollars for blank pages...i heard it takes just a few minutes...

i would love to be in the meeting when they decide on $82...

i can't wait to sell them a toilet for $100,000

This has been reported many times. I had only 2 blank pages so I took advantage and had 54 pages inserted just 2 weeks ago.

Jeff - what was the cost and procedure? Did you need to make an appointment? Where did you do accomplish this?

Thanks,

T

I did it at an Embassy reachout in Ubon. If you do it in BKK you will need to make an appointment. You can wait as it takes about an hour. The cost was about 2400B I think.. Don't really recall.. lol

Edited by Jeffrey346